One Hundred People Versus a Bear?

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
The way I look at it, the average human is about 1/4 the size and weight of a 500lb bear. I think I could easily take on 100 humans who all weighed roughly 50lbs, basically a bunch of 5-year olds.

Yeah, I would fucking murder all of those 5-year olds. I’d snap their necks, crush their skulls, cave in their tracheas and/or their sternums, snap multiple femurs, along with the femoral arteries, rip bones out of their sockets, and so forth. Which is pretty much what a grizzly bear in a fight to the death would do to 100 unarmed humans.[/quote]

What if those 5 year olds were all a lot smarter than you? Like, you had the intelligence of a bear?[/quote]

I don’t know. But how smart can 100 people who have somehow found themselves in an inescapable fight to the death with a grizzly bear be?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
The way I look at it, the average human is about 1/4 the size and weight of a 500lb bear. I think I could easily take on 100 humans who all weighed roughly 50lbs, basically a bunch of 5-year olds.

Yeah, I would fucking murder all of those 5-year olds. I’d snap their necks, crush their skulls, cave in their tracheas and/or their sternums, snap multiple femurs, along with the femoral arteries, rip bones out of their sockets, and so forth. Which is pretty much what a grizzly bear in a fight to the death would do to 100 unarmed humans.[/quote]

What if those 5 year olds were all a lot smarter than you? Like, you had the intelligence of a bear?[/quote]

I don’t know. But how smart can 100 people who have somehow found themselves in an inescapable fight to the death with a grizzly bear be?[/quote]
LOL

[quote]Smashingweights wrote:
What about the story of the guy with the knife from the top of the last page?
That was a wild story.[/quote]
I remember seeing a Discovery Channel program once where they were interviewing this fucking old ass Eskimo man. This sonofabitch had a polar bear charge him. He bent down and grabbed a rock and sidestepped the bear’s charge and hit it with the rock. It didn’t do much, but then the bear reared up on it’s hind legs and roared and he fucking drop kicked it. He said they are super unstable when they do that, and he literally knocked the bear on it’s ass. Apparently the thing was so shocked it ran off.

[quote]csulli wrote:

I remember seeing a Discovery Channel program once where they were interviewing this fucking old ass Eskimo man. This sonofabitch had a polar bear charge him. He bent down and grabbed a rock and sidestepped the bear’s charge and hit it with the rock. It didn’t do much, but then the bear reared up on it’s hind legs and roared and he fucking drop kicked it. He said they are super unstable when they do that, and he literally knocked the bear on it’s ass. Apparently the thing was so shocked it ran off.[/quote]
Sounds way too cool to be true.

[quote]Dbol123 wrote:
I don’t think that 100 people fighting a Bear is analogous in anyway to 100 4th graders fighting a 250lb man, mainly because that would be a situation in which the single man has much greater strength AND intelligence, where as the bear would have much greater strength and weaponry but far lower intelligence.

We also have to determine the mindset of both the humans and the bear. If it was such that both sides were fighting with every morsel of strength and determination possible, I think that the humans would win, there are just too many of them. While the bear was ripping apart the unlucky souls that happened to caught first or charged the bear head on, 30-40 men could jump on the bears back and force it to the ground, long enough for a few men to rip out the bears eyeballs and dig their fingers deep into its sockets and cause as much damage as possible. Then they could swarm the bear, stomping on its head and snout until it was dead or dying, at least until it isn’t going to much of a threat.

Even if the Bear managed to Kill half of the people, it would eventually collapse from exhaustion, considering the amount of total force taken to catch and kill that many full grown men. This would allow the others to do the aforementioned strategy of gouging it’s eyes and stomping its face. Not to mention that fact that the men would likely pick up rocks to bash the bears face.
[/quote]

2 minutes in.

You forget that upwards of 40% of the 100 people will be useless as they’ll be the ones with their iPhones out, filming the bear kill the other +/- 60%

[quote]csulli wrote:

I remember seeing a Discovery Channel program once where they were interviewing this fucking old ass Eskimo man. This sonofabitch had a polar bear charge him. He bent down and grabbed a rock and sidestepped the bear’s charge and hit it with the rock. It didn’t do much, but then the bear reared up on it’s hind legs and roared and he fucking drop kicked it. He said they are super unstable when they do that, and he literally knocked the bear on it’s ass. Apparently the thing was so shocked it ran off.[/quote]

How did the Eskimo do this with his enormous testicles?

Are you going to rip the bears teeth and claws out first? Because if you remove Man’s ability to make tools and weapons, it’s the same as de-fanging and de-clawing a bear. Man evolved to make weapons and tools, that’s why are larger brains and opposable thumbs allowed us to be so successful. That’s where this thread fails.

Now if you put the hundred people on an island with nothing but their bare hands, the bear’s still going to pile up a lot of humans just because the vast majority of people will be too panicky and useless to even pick up a rock to throw at it. In the end it will be up to a small group of mostly men to fashion a few sapplings into spears (using fragments of stone to shape them into points) and kill the thing.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
What the fuck

Its 100 people

one hundred ONE HUNDRED

The bear gets fucked. Proper fucked.[/quote]

what can the humans do that would actually hurt the bear?[/quote]

Beat on it, hold it down, gouge its fucking eyes out. Its not a fucking tank for fucks fake lol, its an animal, it’s flesh and bone just like you. And AFAIK bears don’t have some magical nervous system that just takes 100 people beating on your brain pan like its nothing.

I think the problem is people aren’t really processing just how large a group of 100 people is. It’s a full blown fuckin riot, the bear might maul one or two but the rest are going to fucking swarm it.

500lbs of fury doesnt mean shit when its divided up amongst 100 people.

10 people? yeah they’d all be fucked

100 people? The bear is getting fucked unless most of the people pussy out. Which is very likely, but again, this is a dumb fantastical scenario where 100 people would be magically locked into a football size field with a grizzly bear and no weapons, so I like to make the assumption they are all in of those weird fucking states of mind people get into when they’re in large groups and some shit goes down.

If the humans have a rope they could do it like the old range cowboys did-

Also this guy, Waldo Wilcox roped mountain lions after his dogs ran them, so with 100 humans you could run a bear…

“Raising cattle for a living was always a tough and financially precarious business, and over the years Waldo used his cowboy skills in ingenious ways to augment his income. One such enterprise was to capture mountain lions alive and sell them to zoos. (The going price in those days was about $500 a specimen.) When the hunt went right, his trained hounds, Shorty and Dink, would corner their prey on a tree limb or a rock ledge. Waldo would unlimber his lariat, lasso the lion, truss it up, and then somehow carry it down the mountain without getting mauled.”

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/photography/united-states/southwest/utah-range-creek/waldo-wilcox.html

LMAO. I spent WAYYYY too much time reading this thread last night, so much so I had a terrible dream about bears last night! I was in the woods and there were like 4 cars parked in a circle and they all belonged to hunters who I also realized were fighting off like 4 grizzly bears with guns. One handed me a gun as I approached the scene, I said to him “This had better be a high caliber gun! Atleast a .44!” He responds with “That’s a .74!” and I’m like dafuq? So then I shoot the bear for fun and it doesn’t die or wince.

Then other stuff happened, and I died I think. Not sure. Yeah, bears are the fucking bosses. Don’t fuck with bears kid.

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
LMAO. I spent WAYYYY too much time reading this thread last night, so much so I had a terrible dream about bears last night! I was in the woods and there were like 4 cars parked in a circle and they all belonged to hunters who I also realized were fighting off like 4 grizzly bears with guns. One handed me a gun as I approached the scene, I said to him “This had better be a high caliber gun! Atleast a .44!” He responds with “That’s a .74!” and I’m like dafuq? So then I shoot the bear for fun and it doesn’t die or wince.

Then other stuff happened, and I died I think. Not sure. Yeah, bears are the fucking bosses. Don’t fuck with bears kid. [/quote]
Oh really? I dreamed I was raping a polar bear. (kidding, my dream was much worse)

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:

Then other stuff happened, and I died I think. Not sure. Yeah, bears are the fucking bosses. Don’t fuck with bears kid. [/quote]
LOL

I stand by my statement. If you remove the fear of death, the people win hands down (and partially digested)

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
LOL

I stand by my statement. If you remove the fear of death, the people win hands down (and partially digested)[/quote]
Oh easily. If you qualify the statement from 100 people to 100 fanatic berserkers the bear would be hosed lol.

I still say the most choas would be choosing the fist wave of “volunteers” to attack the heathy bear. Lol. I mean, out of a 100 u might find a few brave souls willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good, but not many. Shit, it’s about survival son.

I think the men could do it if the had ample time to practice. But do they? I say not not. The bear is unprepared, so the men should be able to operate on the fly using their wits and intelligence.

I would up the stakes and have the Grizzy bear be a female with a den of her cubs. That’s would up the ante.

[quote]Brett620 wrote:
I would up the stakes and have the Grizzy bear be a female with a den of her cubs. That’s would up the ante. [/quote]
beat her to death with her own cubs