One Hundred People Versus a Bear?

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
The thing is, a bear’s talons do not depend on razor-sharpness to do their work, but rather kinetic energy.

The following is a gruesome example, but it should put everything into perspective. First, consider the medieval mace, pictured above.

The flanges on a mace are not sharp: you would not cut your finger on them. However, when swung hard at a target, the energy of the fast-moving, heavy iron head is concentrated at the edges and points of the flanges, making the mace a very deadly weapon indeed. Furthermore, the deadliness of the mace does not diminish if it becomes sticky with blood and brains.

Now imagine a strong, 250-pound man wielding a pair of these maces against an attacking horde of one hundred unarmed 4th grade boys. This is about the same size and strength disparity we are talking about between the men and the grizzly.

The mace man may get a bit tired before the killing is through, his deltoids may be a little sore the next day, and he may be sporting a few scratches and bite marks (not many, since he is wearing a thick leather jacket and pants), but I think this would be the extent of his hardships. [/quote]

Wow, even more analytical and disturbing than my scenario. Damn good analogy, Varqanir, but I don’t think our friend grew gets it; a bear isn’t going to sit there and chew on a dead guy while other threats still abound.

He’ll deal each an incapacitating blow and move on until all threats are neutralized, then take his time and chow down at his leisure.

[quote]Chiseller wrote:
as far as bear aggression goes ive seen a video of a bear and a tiger fighting in a cage and the bear was a lot more aggressive than the tiger !!!!! BUT and there is a But.....the bear soon lost its aggression after its snout had recieved some cosh` from the tiger !!! [/quote]

I think we’ve all seen this one (with the Chinese voice-over, right?). The bear in that video is a black bear, and a rather young, small one at that up against a full grown tigress.

Hardly a fair fight, and yet each time the bear would keep attacking after getting its ass kicked over and over until its nose was so choked with blood it could barely breathe. Says something about the tenacity of bears in general, I think.

so, say there is an average grizzly, but it was against Mike Ditka…

[quote]Digital Chainsaw wrote:

Wow, even more analytical and disturbing than my scenario. Damn good analogy, Varqanir, but I don’t think our friend grew gets it; a bear isn’t going to sit there and chew on a dead guy while other threats still abound.

He’ll deal each an incapacitating blow and move on until all threats are neutralized, then take his time and chow down at his leisure.
[/quote]

Huh.

You know, I didn’t even see your scenario before I posted that yesterday.

Haha. I see that I’ve estimated the strength of the humans a little higher, even, than you have: 4th graders rather than 1st graders. But as far as weight goes, a ratio of fifty-pound child to 250-pound adult is probably closer.

grew7 wrote:
What if you were surrounded?

Then I turn around and stomp on them. Dead, giant ants in a 360 degree pattern. Frame it and call it modern art.[/quote]

No, no, nope. You’d be screwed. You can barely cover 50 times the distance an ant can in one step. You’d be totally trapped. Right.
Grew7’s posts are getting increasingly nonsensical.

This thread is hilarious. Unarmed humans stand little chance against a full grown Kodiak bear. A hundred people would have to find a way to wear the bear out without many causalties and then attack with the eye gouging and such.

But with no tool to peirce the hide of the bear, the humans will eventually perish. Sorry, that is nature 101. Face it, we have no natural weapons to defend ourselves. We are at the mercy of the bear. 1 to 1.5 tons of bear is way more than any 100 humans can handle. Sorry, we lose.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
1 to 1.5 tons of bear is way more than any 100 humans can handle.[/quote]

Boy, I’ll say. If I ever came across a bear that weighed 1.5 tons (3000 pounds, or 3360 pounds, if we are talking metric tons), I’d hightail it out of there in a big hurry.

Guess dem bears git mighty big down dere in Looziyanna. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:
1 to 1.5 tons of bear is way more than any 100 humans can handle.

Boy, I’ll say. If I ever came across a bear that weighed 1.5 tons (3000 pounds, or 3360 pounds, if we are talking metric tons), I’d hightail it out of there in a big hurry.

Guess dem bears git mighty big down dere in Looziyanna. :P[/quote]

You have no idea. Haha. I guess I should have said 3/4 to 1 ton. (not metric tonne)

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
The bear is William Wallace…and we are but poor 5’0 English infantrymen.

Without weapons, we die.

But then, that’s why we made weapons. And so we’re still the top of the food chain, so the question is null and void.

100 unarmed humans? They all die.

One human who’s decent with a rifle? Game over.

Why do you think we started killin each other? Animals aren’t fun compared to people…[/quote]

Ha…good points.

[quote]
FightinIrish26 wrote:
The bear is William Wallace…and we are but poor 5’0 English infantrymen.[/quote]

“The grizzly bear is seven feet tall. Kills men by the hundreds. And if he were here, he’d consume the people with fireballs from his eyes…and bolts of lightning from his arse!”

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Digital Chainsaw wrote:

Huh.

You know, I didn’t even see your scenario before I posted that yesterday.

Haha. I see that I’ve estimated the strength of the humans a little higher, even, than you have: 4th graders rather than 1st graders. But as far as weight goes, a ratio of fifty-pound child to 250-pound adult is probably closer.[/quote]

I was going for that 1/5 weight ratio (and even that is overdoing it if the bear is over 1250 lbs.), but hell; fists against 1st graders, or a pair of maces against against fourth graders, it’s a grape stomp either way.

[quote]Bri Hildebrandt wrote:
My bet is on the bear. Here’s a video of a similar scenario but on a much smaller scale.

30 hornets vs 30,000 bees.

The hornets are 5 times the size of the bees.

Easy work in 3 hours… not even a contest.

http://www.filecabi.net/video/hornets-bees16.html [/quote]

Fast forward to near the end of the video and you will see how japanese bees deal with the problem.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/10/1012_051012_hornet_video.html

Now that is one impressive strategy!

[quote]Soco wrote:
Bri Hildebrandt wrote:
My bet is on the bear. Here’s a video of a similar scenario but on a much smaller scale.

30 hornets vs 30,000 bees.

The hornets are 5 times the size of the bees.

Easy work in 3 hours… not even a contest.

http://www.filecabi.net/video/hornets-bees16.html

Fast forward to near the end of the video and you will see how japanese bees deal with the problem.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/10/1012_051012_hornet_video.html

Now that is one impressive strategy!

[/quote]

Very impressive.

Obviously, as we can see from the video, smothering would work. Bees are much smaller than humans, yet that giant one was unable to shake them off. One hundred determined men just have to keep staying in the bear’s face until it dies.

[quote]grew7 wrote:
Obviously, as we can see from the video, smothering would work. Bees are much smaller than humans, yet that giant one was unable to shake them off. One hundred determined men just have to keep staying in the bear’s face until it dies.[/quote]

The entire hive was involved in the smothering, which is a lot more than one hundred.

[quote]Kratos wrote:
Digital Chainsaw wrote:
grew7 wrote:

Then I turn around and stomp on them. Dead, giant ants in a 360 degree pattern. Frame it and call it modern art.

No, no, nope. You’d be screwed. You can barely cover 50 times the distance an ant can in one step. You’d be totally trapped. Right.
Grew7’s posts are getting increasingly nonsensical.[/quote]

Awww, man, and here I thought I could beat those pesky ants! Way to shit in my skillet, Kratos!

Kratos wrote:
Digital Chainsaw wrote:
grew7 wrote:

Then I turn around and stomp on them. Dead, giant ants in a 360 degree pattern. Frame it and call it modern art.

Grew7’s posts are getting increasingly nonsensical.

Awww, man, and here I thought I could beat those pesky ants! Way to shit in my skillet, Kratos!
[/quote]

Hahaha, I’m totally going to start using that expression.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
grew7 wrote:
Obviously, as we can see from the video, smothering would work. Bees are much smaller than humans, yet that giant one was unable to shake them off. One hundred determined men just have to keep staying in the bear’s face until it dies.

The entire hive was involved in the smothering, which is a lot more than one hundred. [/quote]

Humans are smarter than bees, so instead of needing thousands to smother the bear’s whole body, there would only need to be several dozens to smother its face.