T Nation

One Gal of Milk a Day? Alternatives?

[quote]Goggleman wrote:
Ah, the famous “bowel distress” method. One gallon per day! Or, if you wanna really be a man, drink a quart of heavy whipping cream every three hours.[/quote]

Last I checked, oddly enough, heavy whipping cream had no protein. Just fat.

[quote]tedro wrote:
I did it for 2 years, 6 days a week.[/quote]

Just for anybody interested, over those 2 years, he consumed 1,252,000 calories just from milk.

[quote]Eielson wrote:
tedro wrote:
I did it for 2 years, 6 days a week.

Just for anybody interested, over those 2 years, he consumed 1,252,000 calories just from milk.[/quote]

Lol. Cheers for the factoid big guy :smiley:

[quote]rudilerm wrote:
Eielson wrote:
tedro wrote:
I did it for 2 years, 6 days a week.

Just for anybody interested, over those 2 years, he consumed 1,252,000 calories just from milk.

Lol. Cheers for the factoid big guy :D[/quote]

Actually, that wasn’t right I don’t think. It would be in that range if it were 2%, though. Whole milk would be in the 1.5 million calories range.

I personally like doing the pounds. So for me, in the last 2 months, I’ve drunk about 480 lbs of whole milk. Ain’t that awesome? That’s over double bodyweight.

Maybe there is a better place for this question, but for now…

I’m just starting to work out and I want to put on a lot of mass. Obviously, perhaps, I’d prefer lean muscle mass to water weight and fat, etc. I’m torn between using cytogainer, about which I’ve heard good things on the fast gaining track, and Metabolic Drive Complete.

I don’t know a ton about either product, but Metabolic Drive Complete seems very clean and pure, maybe I’d mix with some peanut butter to up the calories? How is cytogainer as a product? I also have Surge which I plan on using PWO, and BCAAs. I’m quite thin at 5’10" and 140ish, and have a very high metabolism. While being very thin, the muscle I do have is defined and I’d like to keep things that way.

Maybe I need to get over that and worry about putting on general mass and then cutting it down?
Clearly Ill eat a lot of solid food, but I also want an extra protein source. Thoughts between cytogainer and Metabolic Drive Complete. I guess my main concern is that while cyto may pack on weight is it full of junk?
Another question, though off topic, is one of creatine. good or bad for you? worth taking?

Before I starting strength I thought 1 gallon was a lot of milk. However, as soon as I started lifting I was easily guzzling down milk like it was going out of fashion. My room was littered with discarded milk bottles. I cleaned my room after a fortnight and found twenty empty bottles.

Point is, OP, try doing something before thinking of cheating.

half a gallon of milk on my training days and the SAP program(as best as i could follow it) packed about 20 pounds on me.

I heard that some people will eat many raw eggs as an alternative

1 gallon a day isn’t that much. I drank 1 gal/day considtently for about 3 or 4 months one time with no side effects except I gained about 20lbs… This was doing randal strossen’s super squats (aka squats and milk), and also rippetoe’s texas method. In fact, I still crush a gallon pretty regularly.

Not every day, but at least 1/2 a gal still when I’m not stuffing my face with philly cheesesteak sandwhiches, meatload, or burgers. Can’t beat 128g of protein and 2000 cals for $1.99. Milk should be a staple if your body is manly enough to take it. “Milk is for growing mammals and you sir are a growing mammal”

[quote]newpro wrote:
I heard that some people will eat many raw eggs as an alternative[/quote]

Cook those eggs. Not just because it is safer, but because the protein in eggs is more bioavailable when cooked.

[quote]endersgain wrote:
Maybe there is a better place for this question, but for now…

I’m just starting to work out and I want to put on a lot of mass. Obviously, perhaps, I’d prefer lean muscle mass to water weight and fat, etc. I’m torn between using cytogainer, about which I’ve heard good things on the fast gaining track, and Metabolic Drive Complete.

I don’t know a ton about either product, but Metabolic Drive Complete seems very clean and pure, maybe I’d mix with some peanut butter to up the calories? How is cytogainer as a product? I also have Surge which I plan on using PWO, and BCAAs. I’m quite thin at 5’10" and 140ish, and have a very high metabolism. While being very thin, the muscle I do have is defined and I’d like to keep things that way.

Maybe I need to get over that and worry about putting on general mass and then cutting it down?
Clearly Ill eat a lot of solid food, but I also want an extra protein source. Thoughts between cytogainer and Metabolic Drive Complete. I guess my main concern is that while cyto may pack on weight is it full of junk?
Another question, though off topic, is one of creatine. good or bad for you? worth taking?[/quote]

Do GOMAD. And eat solid foods.
Some people like mass gainers, not me. Usually contains junk you don’t need. Drink normal protein shake, it’s usually better value for money. Add stuff to it yourself- peanut butter, banana’s, whatever.
Yes, you need to get over being (skinny) “well defined”, add mass, cut later. It’s much, much easier this way. Everyone will agree.
Chances are that your metabolism isn’t high (pending a diagnosis from a doctor), it’s just that you don’t eat enough. Gomad will fix that quick smart!
Creatine is cheap, and generally accepted as doing good things for you.

Hope this helps.

Is my fear of antibiotics and hormones in milk unfounded? I’ve heard that cows get massive doses of both to prevent disease and improve milk production, but I’m not really sure how much of it gets to the milk.

Does anyone have information/experience with this?

Milk is no problem for me, give me money and I’ll drink more than gallon daily… But I prefer milk with lower lactose, I can drink more that kind of milk and without any problems…

OP, you should also consider use of OLIVE OIL. Full of good calories, healthy etc… but obviously it isn’t better in taste, especially when drink alone:) but I like it, you know, from small glass for example.

[quote]
Oroborus wrote:
Is my fear of antibiotics and hormones in milk unfounded? I’ve heard that cows get massive doses of both to prevent disease and improve milk production, but I’m not really sure how much of it gets to the milk.

Does anyone have information/experience with this? [/quote]

I don’t know… but just fuck it men, this shit is almost everywhere so we don’t have a choice…

Definitely helpful, thanks. By “normal protein shake”, do you mean something like Metabolic Drive Complete, or just a pure whey like Grow! Whey? I’ve also heard that the first six months of working out are very important to what one can acheive weight wise, will this gomad still help if im a few months in? or is that six month thing bs?

I drink a gallon a day. I recently switched to 2% to lower the saturated fat a little bit. I filled in the missing calories with olive oil.

I’ve been drinking a gallon a day for about 6 months now. It makes it so much easier to get in the ~5200 calories I am eating each day.

I usually have it finished in about 6 hours.

Milk seems to do something for people looking to put on mass that the equivalent in calories and macro-content doesn’t.
It’s thought that this is because milk has been shown to have high-levels of the peptide hormone IGF-1(Insulin Like Growth Factor-1) which is shown to have pretty anabolic properties.

‘‘There is no susbitute for milk, sorry’’- Mark Rippetoe.

You are right in the suggestion that you need to put on mass and then worry about cutting down. This attitude of wanting to see your hawt abz will do nothing but hinder your mass gaining.

I’ve been doing GOMAD for about 6 months. Aside form pissing like a racehorse for the first few weeks, I had no side-affects.(In fact my dentist said he wished more people switched to milk and water;) ).
Gained 40lbs thanks to GOMAD and big eatin’. It becomes very easy after a while. Just spread it out over the day.

I think the GOMAD formula is set up that way to be easy in terms of minimal food prep, drinking being easier than eating etc etc as well as the benefits from the milk.

I’m sure you can get results in other ways by eating or drinking different things, but then it won’t be the GOMAD principle. It’s a bit like doing ‘Starting Strength’ but changing some the exes and sets, it would prob work but it won’t be the ‘Starting Strength’ programme.

If you really don’t want to drink all that milk for whatever reason, then you need to throw away the notion of doing GOMAD and just look at it as a muscle building diet and see how best to get the cals you need.

[quote]endersgain wrote:
Definitely helpful, thanks. By “normal protein shake”, do you mean something like Metabolic Drive Complete, or just a pure whey like Grow! Whey? I’ve also heard that the first six months of working out are very important to what one can acheive weight wise, will this gomad still help if im a few months in? or is that six month thing bs?

[/quote]

No worries. I’m not really familiar with the differences between Metabolic Drive and Grow! Whey, by “normal protein shake” I mean something that is 90-99% protein. I much prefer whey isolates, I find I digest it much more easily. Some people like have casein protein in there as well, I don’t think it is really a necessity.
The first six months is definitely when the easiest gains will come, but better late than never. I had actually been working out for almost a year before I started squats and milk, and I believe my gains were good, infact I gained much more strength and size in the 3 months on GOMAD than in the previous year. Of course I’m constantly kicking myself about the year that I “wasted”, but you live and learn.

[quote]Goggleman wrote:
One gallon of whole milk = 2400 Calories; 128g Protein. Consume at least that much per day? I guess I’m wondering if there’s more cost-effective means to get the same amount inside me.

Has anyone reading this ever tried this method? I love milk, but a gallon a day sounds kinda gross. I’m wondering if it’s sustainable, too.[/quote]

Cost effective? It’s only like $2.89 a day.