T Nation

One Gal of Milk a Day? Alternatives?

As suggested in the Rippetoe interview. Has anyone done this? Is it necessary? I’m not sure I could drink a gallon a day. Are there alternatives that do the same thing as 1gal/day?

Lots of food.

One gallon of whole milk = 2400 Calories; 128g Protein. Consume at least that much per day? I guess I’m wondering if there’s more cost-effective means to get the same amount inside me.

Has anyone reading this ever tried this method? I love milk, but a gallon a day sounds kinda gross. I’m wondering if it’s sustainable, too.

1 gallon of milk a day gave me some serious bowel distress.

Ah, the famous “bowel distress” method. One gallon per day! Or, if you wanna really be a man, drink a quart of heavy whipping cream every three hours.

It gets a bit old, but I’ve been doing it for almost 2 months now, just in an attempt to increase kcals in addition to my normal food.

I haven’t felt any adverse effects personally. Only way to find out if it works is to try it. It’s very convenient btw.

[quote]Goggleman wrote:
Ah, the famous “bowel distress” method. One gallon per day! Or, if you wanna really be a man, drink a quart of heavy whipping cream every three hours.[/quote]

Yeah, it was classic. I probably could use it as a cutting technique.

try half a gallon of milk, and enough peanut butter to make up for the rest of the calories?

[quote]Goggleman wrote:
One gallon of whole milk = 2400 Calories; 128g Protein. Consume at least that much per day? I guess I’m wondering if there’s more cost-effective means to get the same amount inside me.

Has anyone reading this ever tried this method? I love milk, but a gallon a day sounds kinda gross. I’m wondering if it’s sustainable, too.[/quote]

Cost effective? Even with rising prices pushing milk to $4 a gallon, you will be hardpressed finding another source of 2800 calories and 128g of high quality protein for cheaper.

It’s really not that hard. I did it for 2 years, 6 days a week. I had always been a big milk drinker, and was already putting down half a gallon a day. If you’re eating 5-6 meals a day, it’s really only one big 20-24 ounce glass per meal. It makes getting down 5000 calories a day much easier and cheaper than if you were just eating whole food.

Skim Milk - 1280 calories; 0g fat; 192g carbs; 128g protein

1% Milk - 1600 calories; 40g fat; 192g carbs; 128g protein

2% Milk - 1920 calories; 80g fat; 192g carbs; 128g protein

Whole Milk - 2400 calories; 128g fat; 192g carbs; 128g protein

1 gal = 16 cups (roughly).

if your having a few protien shakes a day; use that. have a glass with each meal. make sure its a big glass.

or buy some drk whole milk, and blend milk with dry stuff. double up!

These are decent suggestions. Thanks.

I can drink a gallon in one sitting, what helps is when you add nesquik chocolate to it ;).

The cost is a problem for me also though, 4+ dollars a day for milk is a lot for a college student like me especially when like my eggs are a 99cents, or chicken 89cents a pound.

So try to save and just do about half gallon a day which is 2 bucks for milk a day which is little better for me sometimes stretch it to 3 days for 1 gallon-plus gas price to go to the liquor store is annoying every day, fridge too small to hold 7 gallons also-

Weight gainer supplements prob be good for you, lots of calories pretty cheap for how much you get-just get generic cheap brand-

And what kind of gain supplements might you recommend? I’ve been using some GNC crap.

cytogainer.

I am the official forum cytogainer whore.

Biotest, if you make a comparable product, I will pay for it.

Low calorie powders just don’t do it for me.

Yeah? So how long have you been using Cytogainer? Rate of consumption? Cytogainer expense per month? Also, what’s your body type? Average metabolism? High?

And do you think those GNC tubs are low calorie? I bought this not long ago: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2864720

Seemed cheap. Should do the job. Or… does it not do the job?

Bah gainer shakes are silly to me.

Solid food is always better, and cheaper, and tastes better.

Besides cytogainer is just matlodextrin and whey, you can buy those sperate and mix em if you like

[quote]Westclock wrote:
Bah gainer shakes are silly to me.

Solid food is always better, and cheaper, and tastes better.

Besides cytogainer is just matlodextrin and whey, you can buy those sperate and mix em if you like[/quote]

Weight gainer is pretty cheap for how much calories you get in, and how easy it is to prepare. Its hard to get very high amount of calories with good food without some weight gainer.

A lot of strongman, powerlifters, bodybuilders, ext use weight gainer in the off season of some kind its almost as much as a staple as protein powder and creatine.

Noone is saying to neglect eating a lot of food though, thats a given.

[quote]Goggleman wrote:
Yeah? So how long have you been using Cytogainer? Rate of consumption? Cytogainer expense per month? Also, what’s your body type? Average metabolism? High?

And do you think those GNC tubs are low calorie? I bought this not long ago: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2864720

Seemed cheap. Should do the job. Or… does it not do the job?[/quote]

body type: ecto
cytogainer use: a little less then a year
average metabolism
5’9" 190 pounds
cytogainer is cheaper if you buy it from efts or other online websites. It’s like 50$ from gnc before you use your gold card.

I take 3 scoops in milk. And drink it on my break at work or during school. Convenient and tasty.

I highly recommend vanilla shake.

I’ve been drinking about 1/2 gallon to a gallon a day of milk. If I can’t get Lactaid (the lactose free milk), I use lactase caplets to help digest the milk.

The reason I drink the milk is that it is so convenient. I don’t always have a lot of time at work to sneak a meal in.

In the past nine weeks I’ve gone from 173lbs to about 187lbs while training with Starting Strength. Yes, I’ve put on some fat, but I’ll worry about it later.

Alternatives could be olive oil, natural peanut butter, cottage cheese, beef jerky, whipping cream. Besides that, there is always the main stuff, red meat, chicken, fish, and lots and lots of eggs.