T Nation

One Boring Year

Hi Athletes

I am New here and a big welcome to everyone.
For myself; i am 24 years old, training for about 4-5 years, started with BB type routine but i like more strength training.

My thing is the 5/3/1, love this thing, its easy and effective.

So because of some injuries i was set back for the last two years, they wasent as consistent as the had to be. I got a low back hurt (anterior pelvic tilt) that im going to fix with mobility routines, its getting better.

And the big issue is My Hip. I have a Hip Inpingment that dosent allow me to Squat or to Deadlift.

I am going now through a surgery in one Week, and i have a lay of for about 8-12 Weeks. Then i wanna to restart a 5/3/1 routine (after full mobility is back) based on the Beyond 5/3/1 Book.

I wrote my routine down here and i like to hear your opinions if this is a good one for coming back to a certain level, i am going to start from zero.

Myself:

174 cm tall
78 kg (go some fat on)

i dont have a actual Training Max.

But my goals for the first are:

Bench Press 100kg (225lbs) for 3-5 sets x3-5 reps
Front Squat 100kg for 5 x 5
Sumo Deadlifts 140kg (315lbs) 5 x 5
OHP 60kg (135lbs) 3-5 sets x 3-5 reps

For the moment these are big goals for, i like to do these pain free and then we will see.

So this is my routine i want to go through almost a Full Year.
Thx for your feedbacks.

Basic Training Split:

Bench Press 5/3/1 Sets x Reps
Bench Press 5sets x BBB Variations
Seal Rows 5 x 10
Arms (optional) EZ Bar Curls / Skull Crushers
Face Pulls (between and after workout) 50-100 Total reps

Front Squats 5/3/1 Sets x Reps
Front Squats 5sets x BBB Variations
Hip Thrusts 5 x 10
Abs
Calves Press 50-100 Total Reps

Overhead Press 5/3/1 Sets x Reps
Overhead Press 5sets x BBB Variations
Lat Pulldowns 5 x 10
Arms (optional) EZ Bar Curls / Skull Crushers
Rear Delt Flies (between and after workout) 50-100 Total reps

Sumo Deadlifts 5/3/1 Sets x Reps
Sumo Deadlifts 5sets x BBB Variations
American Deadlifts 5 x 10
Abs
Calves Press 50-100 Total reps

BBB Variations:

Week 1 - 6

5/3/1 - 5s Progression + BBB 5x10 x 30-40% @ TM

Week 7

Deload
Focusing on Long paused Reps and Form

Week 8 - 13

5/3/1 regular + BBB 5x10 x 50% @ TM

Week 14

Deload

Week 15 - 20

5/3/1 regular + BBB 5x10 x 65% @ TM
5/3/1 regular + BBB 5x8 x 70% @ TM
5/3/1 regular + BBB 5x5 x 75% @ TM
5/3/1 regular + BBB 5x10 x 65% @ TM
5/3/1 regular + BBB 5x8 x 70% @ TM
5/3/1 regular + BBB 5x5 x 75% @ TM

Week 21

Deload

Week 22 - 27

5/3/1 regular + BBB 5x5 x 80% @ TM
5/3/1 regular + BBB 5x4 x 85% @ TM

Week 28

Deload

Week 29 - 34

5/3/1 regular + BBB 5x3 x 90% @ TM
5/3/1 regular + BBB 5x2 x 95% @ TM

Week 35

Deload

Week 36 - 41

5/3/1 regular + BBB 5x1 x TM

Week 42

Deload

Week 43 - 48

5/3/1 regular + BBB 5x1 x 90% @ TM
5/3/1 regular + BBB 6x1 x 90% @ TM
5/3/1 regular + BBB 7x1 x 90% @ TM
5/3/1 regular + BBB 8x1 x 95% @ TM
5/3/1 regular + BBB 9x1 x 95% @ TM
5/3/1 regular + BBB 10x1 x 95% @ TM

This is only marginal notion, but I would suggest you to train conventional DL. If you don't compete, the benefits of conventional DL are much greater because of better ROM.

I did also hurt my back last summer, and my left hip is full of shit. I used to do sumo. I'm really tall, and were worried about my low back. Well, doing sumo, specially high rep PR-sets, was a really bad idea.

When my lifts got up nicely, my lower back did no developed enough, so I eventually broke it when squatting. My hips also took quite a pounding when doing sumo (which lead to my current problems with my left flexor).

Now I have had to build my lifts up again whole fall, and I'm now really close my old numbers. My calculated max for conventional is just about 20 lb less than my sumo used to be.

I'm not saying you can't use sumo, you know if you need it. But if you're doing it only because you suck at conventional. I suggest to try implement conv. dl to your program. It can also do great things to your pelvic tilt.

Thx for fast awnser, i thout about the conv. dl. but then i had in my mind that i already have some low back pain because of the APT, and a conv. dl. puts more stress on the low back then the Sumo, for the APT fix i go for American DL, and hip thrust with extreme glute contraction.

is the conv. dl not maybe too much stress for the low back?

What do you think about the routine? Volume intensity etc., shoult i start with less excersise or lower volume?

Thx guys

If you take a look back into the beyond book you could start out with the 5s Progression as it is especially designed for people coming off injuries or beginners. You could run this for a couple of cycles 4-6 and see how your recovery shapes up!

afterwards you could go for something like the following which is taken straight from another thread on here:

1-2 cycles of low intensity, high volume (BBB).
1-2 cycles of medium intensity, medium volume (5's Pro w/ SSL)
1-2 cycles of high intensity, low volume (SVR).

each cycle could be stretched further I assume just as you see fit! after all this you should have a solid 6 month of training under your belt which should leave you in a very good spot for further adjustments...

In this process I would like to know how to set up your TM when returning from injury? You could of course just establish a TM in the first week of training after being completly cleared for exercise by your doctors/physios.

I think that the progression you posted is alright.

But you should start with fsl work and 5's pro, as laid out above. I did one 6 week cycle of 5's pro when coming back to injury, and I'm glad I listened the advice.

PS. I still recommend you to do the conv. dl's as soon as you can do them safely.

PPS. About the TM when coming back to injury - really low. How low depends about the scale of your injury. I recall Jim started with just a bar when coming back to surgery. I had minor injury, but started (on purpose) with 75-80% of my actual max.

so i start for the first with the 5s progression (written in my plan) for a whole 6 week cycle. should i extend my 5s cycles? and should i go for jokers on the 5s?

• What do you thing about my assistance, im very limzed because of a homegym. i only go to a commercial gym for my OHPs because of room height :wink:.

• and how would you go for mobility stuff? i would like to go for some Agile 8 (or NEW Limber 11) + some kelly starret moves from his book (becoming a supple leopard) and from bret contreras for my APT, and for upper body i go for some Diesel stuff. (dieselsc.com).

Do you have any other good stuff for fixing low back pain, APT for some shoulder health?

Do 1-2 cycles 5's pro with fsl work (start bbb assistance after this).

Cut down assistance, specially when doing BBB - Wendler's six is good place to start. I almost never use more than 4 assistance movements/cycle

For ex. I'm using now db rows, chins, weighted back raises and weighted ab crunches - 1 assistance movement/training session.

Try different mobility drills, and do what seems to work. I personally do DeFranco's routines, some myofascial(?) releases, and pre warm up problem areas before lifting (shoulders for presses, post. chain for lower body lifts).