One Armed Snatches

Hey Everybody,
I’m currently working through a stint of the “shut-up” split posted not too long ago. So far I like the way it divides things up but I think that it probably needs a little more lower body work in it but, that’s not really the point of this post.

On the shoulder day, I found that the exercises provided weren’t really doing it for me. The size of my shoulders is of particular concern as I feel they are my most lacking body part. At any rate, I decided to ax the final rear delt raise for one armed snatches. I’m not entirely sure if this is a kosher swap but I feel the snatches in my rear delt more than I felt the rear delt raises.

So the shoulder day looks like:

Standing BB military press
Standing lat raises
Seated db OP
DB 1 Armed Snatches

Is this a good mix?

Thanks

Personally, I consider the snatch to be a shoulder/total body exhaustion exercise. I use it to supplement other lifts and to facilitate endurance conditioning. Works like a charm, considering my 18:42 3-mile PFT time today.

:wink:

One armed snatches are awesome. You should hit your rear delts pretty well with those.

You may want to focus on lateral raises, rear delt raises, upright rows and some of the overhead movements listed.

I think one-arm snatches are a good exercise but not for shoulders if they are a weak area.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
If your shoulders are a weak area, why would you do a program with few direct shoulder exercises?[/quote]

Is one day out of four with four direct shoulder exercises too few?

I feel like with my shoulders I am balancing on a fine line between growing them and injuring them.

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
If your shoulders are a weak area, why would you do a program with few direct shoulder exercises?

I feel like with my shoulders I am balancing on a fine line between growing them and injuring them.

[/quote]

I rewrote my original post because I thought about it afterward and the amount of shoulder work in that one day could be enough. But it really depends on your goals.

If shoulders are a weakness, then you may need to work them more often (2-3 times a week). And if you follow a specialization program for shoulders, you’re going to be putting everything else on maintenance.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
jedidiah wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
If your shoulders are a weak area, why would you do a program with few direct shoulder exercises?

I rewrote my original post because I thought about it afterward and the amount of shoulder work in that one day could be enough. But it really depends on your goals.

If shoulders are a weakness, then you may need to work them more often (2-3 times a week). And if you follow a specialization program for shoulders, you’re going to be putting everything else on maintenance.

[/quote]

They are a weakness, however, at my current weight/height, everything is sufficiently lacking that I do not think specialization is called for. I have a long way to go and my shoulders have the longest way of all, to phrase it differently.

My shoulder day does not center around the one-armed snatch --it is my last exercise, after all. I just wanted to know if it would be a suitable way to finish off the workout.

How would you modify my workout to do a better job of growing the shoulders?

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
They are a weakness, however, at my current weight/height, everything is sufficiently lacking that I do not think specialization is called for. I have a long way to go and my shoulders have the longest way of all, to phrase it differently.

My shoulder day does not center around the one-armed snatch --it is my last exercise, after all. I just wanted to know if it would be a suitable way to finish off the workout.

How would you modify my workout to do a better job of growing the shoulders?[/quote]

Like you said, you don’t need a shoulder specialization program at this time since you need overall mass.

In that case, you could use the shoulder workout you have now, but be sure to include some heavy overhead presses (4-6 sets of 4-6 reps) along with some lateral raises (3-4 sets of 8-12 reps) and rear delt raises. Finish things off with the one-arm snatches. See how you progress on that.

Don’t forget, you’ll be hitting shoulders indirectly on your chest and back workouts as well.