T Nation

One Arm Lock Offs

Hi, Im training for my sport, (ice climbing) and also for the comps here in the UK.
I can do heaps of pull ups (of all sorts of styles), but Im finding that on harder grades I need to lock off with one arm. I just cant seem to do this for more than half a second and my arm gives way! Doing more pull ups for training doesnt seem to help. I need to lock off for around 4 seconds at least.

Im guessing I need to do weighted pull ups?
Im doing the world championships this year and need more strength. Any tips from anyone as to how to achieve this through gym work?

[quote]vikiharvey wrote:
Hi, Im training for my sport, (ice climbing) and also for the comps here in the UK.
I can do heaps of pull ups (of all sorts of styles), but Im finding that on harder grades I need to lock off with one arm. I just cant seem to do this for more than half a second and my arm gives way! Doing more pull ups for training doesnt seem to help. I need to lock off for around 4 seconds at least.

Im guessing I need to do weighted pull ups?
Im doing the world championships this year and need more strength. Any tips from anyone as to how to achieve this through gym work?[/quote]

If you have access to gymnastic rings, there are a number of static holds like front levers that would be good. There are a number of videos on ring training on this website by Christian Thibaudeau that would probably be helpful.

This was just a quick video search to figure out what you meant by “lock off,” but some of the exercises look applicable, and have some examples of other things you can do with either a pull-up bar or rings.