T Nation

One Arm Floor Press

should it be done as a triceps or chest exercise?

Abs exercise =p

if you do one arm presses on a bench, you are %100 right sir :slight_smile:

Generally triceps.

Some say it could benefit the upper pecs in particular but I haven't found it to be so:
http://www.T-Nation.com/training/dumbbell-floor-presses-for-strength-size-and-health
http://www.T-Nation.com/training/master-the-floor-press

Unless you do tweak the movement path and use the touch training technique (feel the working pec with the non-working hand) which could increase pec activation, though it'd be with a obviously-shortened ROM.

thanks chris.
do you think the same for barbell floor press?
i remember dr clay hyght saying its a great upper chest builder in one of his articles.

Pressing from the floor was made popular by wrestlers (before benchpressing became mainstream. They wanted the strength to get an opponent off their chest. Which muscles are used is less important then getting strong for your intended purpose.

Floor pressing is an inefficient way of getting strong. I say this because there are other exercises which allow you to handle much greater weights, with a greater range of motion. Big movements with big weights trump little movements with little weights. A one arm floor press will never let you handle anything like a a barbell floor press. A bench press will trump both.

So you are saying that everything except narrow/medium grip bench pressing is inefficient or even worthless for getting stronger? If you widen out your grip in the bench, what happens? Your bench stroke gets smaller, and (if you are like me) you bench less weight.

Why not just go do some reverse band work off of a giant camber bar? Since the bench press in equivalent is a "little movement with little weight".

Alright, so we just figured this out: Reverse band work off of an increase range of motion is superior to everything else. Great, now let's throw eight strong reverse bands on, and not touch with less than 600 pounds and we'll have the best most effective exercise every!!!111!! Do you realize how fucking stupid your statement was?

Okay, so here is the purpose of the floor press: To slightly reduce the range of motion (it only cuts the bar path down by a 1-2 inches maximum of my arched bench) while separating the eccentric and concentric allowing you to reduce the stretch reflex, and essentially do the upper body equivalent of a deadlift. That means to lift the weight you are forced to press as hard and quickly as possible making you generate more force (and likely increasing your capability to do so), while strengthening the mid and top range of the bench press and even the bottom range of motion (there is a 15 joint degree transfer of strength). It also removes the ability to have leg drive which also contributes to why you use less weight.

I'd definitely say that the floor press is equally effective as the bench for building strength, and possibly more effective to the bench for certain things.

For my own understanding, since range of motion is so critical, wouldn't a chambered bar bench trump a normal bench?

EDIT: looks like the above goes into this already.

Historically the trend has been people moving from floor press to bench press. Recently there has been an increase in floor pressing due to people looking back at how people trained 100 years ago. Just because it was done a long time ago doesn't make it good.... or bad. I agree that the floor press can build strength, that the strength build can be applied to other things. I would suggest that the transfer to other tasks is narrower than when using a bench. But the trend is towards bench, because those ancients found it worked better.

Bench press has a bigger ROM than a floor press. In this case a one arm floor press. A big weight moved through a big range trumps a light weight moved through a small range. That doesn't mean that variations are worthless, just that they should be done for a reason, e.g. a Power Lifting style bench press is different from one a fighter might use, in PL reducing the ROM by arching the back and other techniques means a heavier weight can be moved in a way that satisfies the rules of the sport, a fighter just wants to hit someone hard.

ROM is important, and not. A good example of an exercise with a small ROM that has excellent performance building qualities is the Farmers Walk. The upper body doesn't move.... but is loaded heavily isometrically, the joints of the legs move through the small range needed for walking..... but a tremendous amount of weight can be handled.

I didn't talk about grip widths. Again this is about specificity, use a grip that suits your goal. For general strength use a grip that lets you handle more weight. If ROM is important then barbell Bench isn't the best, flies will have a bigger ROM for the pecs, the Press will take the triceps through a bigger ROM. Barbell bench has a general transfer to other things, other variations have a more specific transfer. The goal determines which should be used. Any exercise that allows progressive overload will work.... but some are more efficient for building strength than others.

Why are you wanting to do one arm floor presses? If you are asking the above question, then you are picking an exercise for the wrong reason.

I agree. Floor presses have merit, but it is not in their ability to build triceps or pectorals. If you're ask for programming reasons, i.e. "Arm Day" or "Chest Day", it probably doesn't matter as you're unlikely to tax the body unduly with a One Arm Floor Press.

A good reason for doing them might be because other people in your sport or vocation have found them helpful. Another might be your start of a Get Up is weak and OAFPs will improve that part of the lift.