One-Arm Dumbbell Snatch?

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
I agree that they wouldn’t be that hard to learn. But even easier to learn would be one-arm dumbell muscle snatches. That version basically doesn’t include the overhead squat, if you can imagine that. I love those.

I can’t find a vid, but this one does contain a traditional two-arm muscle snatch. You’ll get the idea.

Mikhail Koklyaev - YouTube [/quote]

You mean power snatch right?

I know the vid has a muscle snatch in it, but I can’t imagine trying to do that with a dumbbel…

[quote]J.Rocker wrote:
If you have never done olympic lifting before then dont do any isolation at first. Get the basic movements down with the bar then advanced to dumbbell. Snatches are terrible for your shoulders, why do you want to learn anyway?[/quote]

One arm DB power snatches are much easier to learn than barbell snatches - that’s part of the reason you see everyone and their brother doing them or writing about them…

Why do you say they are terrible for the shoulders? They are GREAT for the shoulders…

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Oh and this remind me of the “dropping the weights” thread going on, because when I do these I drop the dumbells afterward. I wouldn’t really risk fucking my shoulder up trying to bring it down slow.[/quote]

When it is locked out use your other hand for assistance to bring it down slowly to your shoulder. This is what I do, I also workout at home so I respect my equipment (sometimes.)

[quote]Hanley wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
I agree that they wouldn’t be that hard to learn. But even easier to learn would be one-arm dumbell muscle snatches. That version basically doesn’t include the overhead squat, if you can imagine that. I love those.

I can’t find a vid, but this one does contain a traditional two-arm muscle snatch. You’ll get the idea.

You mean power snatch right?

I know the vid has a muscle snatch in it, but I can’t imagine trying to do that with a dumbbel…
[/quote]

I’m not sure what the official name is but what I do is basically no different from what they call a muscle snatch, except I do it with a dumbell. I start out in a DL position and then on the way up instead of cleaning the DB, I just get it over my head. The whole lift leaves out the clean and overhead squat, so it’s basically what they call a muscle snatch… Unless I am missing something here.

I just start out with 75’s and move on up. It’s a bit hard on the shoulder joints, but it’s killer for the traps and posterior delts, plus its explosive which is always fun.

[quote]Kalle wrote:
When it is locked out use your other hand for assistance to bring it down slowly to your shoulder. This is what I do, I also workout at home so I respect my equipment (sometimes.)[/quote]

Ha! This is a good idea actually.

They’re a lot of fun and honestly pretty much idiot proof.

Take dumbbell. Get it over head.

Repeat.

These are fun. Looks like some of those videos are hang snatches though.

Here’s a vid of my pr on a db snatch.

Monopoly

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:
These are fun. Looks like some of those videos are hang snatches though.

Here’s a vid of my pr on a db snatch.

Monopoly[/quote]

I’ve never seen anyone perform a dumbbell snatch while standing on the side of a wall. Are you Spider-Man? :wink:

Nice job. How much were you using?

Ya, what great camera work, huh?

That was 135, just missed 150 after it.

Monopoly

[quote]J.Rocker wrote:
If you have never done olympic lifting before then dont do any isolation at first. Get the basic movements down with the bar then advanced to dumbbell. Snatches are terrible for your shoulders, why do you want to learn anyway?[/quote]

Isolation? Advanced? Really?

Bad post. Try again.

[quote]OneEye wrote:
J.Rocker wrote:
If you have never done olympic lifting before then dont do any isolation at first. Get the basic movements down with the bar then advanced to dumbbell. Snatches are terrible for your shoulders, why do you want to learn anyway?

Isolation? Advanced? Really?

Bad post. Try again.[/quote]

Lol that’s a good comeback.

1Arm DB/KB snatches are good for your shoulder, helping build joint stability. They are also a great core move since the off-set weight loading forces the midsection to tighten and support the weight. You probably won’t feel sore in teh gut from it, but it is supposed to be good for the quadratus lumborum and others(sorry, my anatomy is failing me right now).

And you still get the benefit of the explosive lift.

[quote]shizen wrote:
How do I go about finding a coach I want to get serious in Olympic lifting. I looked up certified gyms but like there all northern california I’m in southern California and wondering if I can just find a coach to train me. [/quote]

Go to goheavy.com. That’s the main Oly lifting conversation board. Just post that you are looking for an Oly lift coach whereever you are. There is a really great one in San Diego, for example. It’s true that we are blessed with a number of Oly lift places here in the San Francisco Bay Area, but there are coaches in SoCal.

[quote]supermick wrote:
Ive just searched on youtube for a good visual guide but to be honest - its rife with newly certified PT’s showing piss poor form.

Best example is here: - pinnaclestrengthandfitness.com/videogallery.html

and click on 1 arm dumbbell snatch with 150lb.

The pics above show receiving the sandbag in a full squat - you really want to be power snatching rather than full squat snatching to begin with.[/quote]

lots of good vids
good post