One-Arm Barbell Snatch

I don’t know if any off you are old enough to remember the great Vassily Aleexev competing in the 1970’s.

He was supposed to be competing in the USA in 1978 but had some injury which I can’t remember what it was.

Anyway he did a little showing off that day and did a one handed barbell snatch with 110 kg’s. Of course it was super fast and he hardly got under the weight before it was above his head.

Regards Andy.

i do these but find they hurt my wrists so have started using dumbells
can get 60kgs for 2 reps

[quote]ballsofsteel wrote:
i do these but find they hurt my wrists so have started using dumbells
can get 60kgs for 2 reps[/quote]

good health…60keys… thats somethin to look forward to… biggest db in the gym is 40k

when i can nail that for 8 reps i`ll have to move gyms :slight_smile:

here is a picture of john wood from functionalhandstrength.com
snatchin a 148lb dumbel and crushin an unopened cola can with his bare hands!
true grip strength!

crushin a can with his bare hands!!!

[quote]Rah-Knee wrote:
i love doing one armed BB snatches. last time they were part of my program i worked up to 95 pounds or so. i got bored just doing the snatch, so after every rep of the snatch i would perform a windmill. i call these “Power Mills”. great lift and everyone in the gym will think you are crazy.[/quote]

Could you describe a windmill?

I will attempt to describe the wind mill. Once you snatch the bar successfully and it’s overheard (for this example assume it’s in your right hand) then step out to your side with your left foot a little wider than your shoulder. at this point you left foot is pointed about 45 degrees outwards from straight ahead and your right foot is still pointing straight ahead.

now, keeping your right arm locked at full extension you will begin leaning to your left and slightly forward until you touch the ground with you left palm. once you touch the ground , reverse direction to the beginning position.

probably not the best description of the lift, but it should give you the general idea.

It’s a combination of bending over from the waist and kicking the hip out in the other direction at once. Kicking the hip out at the start is IMPORTANT.

Seeing a picture is worth 1000 words and vids even more this is the closest I could find. Very similar though…

im afraid to try this with even 25 on each side let alone a 45.

[quote]facko wrote:
im afraid to try this with even 25 on each side let alone a 45.[/quote]

You may surprise yourself. I find one arm ones comparatively easy but though you are using only one arm you are still using the whole rear chain. The windmill is a different matter though, I stated just with the oly bar and worked from there a few times a week slowly increasing the range of motion.

It’s good fun and if you have to go to Fitness First like me you get some strange looks, which is always what you want.