T Nation

One Answer for Leg Training Frequency vs. Rest Of Body

For years I grappled with training legs: every other workout was too much for legs, and training them every third workout resulted in the legs lagging.

What worked was to adopt an “every third, every other” strategy. So rather than, "chest and back, legs, shoulders and arms, legs…
Or chest and back, shoulders and arms, legs, repeat,
I went to ““chest and back, shoulders and arms, Legs, chest and back, Legs,
shoulders and arms, chest and back, Legs, shoulders and arms, Legs.””
It’s a ten workout split that worked wonders, a coach and a team captain that I’d not seen in two years could not get over the difference.
Hope this helps.

What do you look like?

I would never train legs before or after a back day. Nor would I train my chest and back together.

If you train full body, every day is leg day!

1 Like

When I thought my legs looked the best my routine was Legs on Wednesdays. (Off Tuesday and Thursday. I killed it on Leg day. I wanted a full tank and a full rest day to follow.) There was some lower body stimulation on Mondays with deadlifts (my deadlift was more of a hinge style, so very little quads engagement.)

The more I’ve read recently, I might have done them twice a week if I had it to do over again. With the second day a 20 rep day for squats

3 Likes

Or no day is leg day, depending how you look at it!

1 Like

Wasn’t that Arnold’s split?

Maybe? I always take splits and the training regiments of past bodybuilders with a grain of salt. Even if it was:

• He had elite of elite genetics

• Had no job so was able to do everything to aid recovery

• Was on gear

• Legs and posterior were underdeveloped compared to todays bodybuilders

And just because he did it does not mean it was good. I mean look at Ronnie Coleman….

1 Like

Frank Zane as well as the monomaniac.

1 Like

If you progressive resistance train legs effectively every day you might be putting yourself at risk for Rhabdomyolyses.

Over time, by strategically employing a variety of reps/sets/etc. to see what works for you, you may be surprised.
Granted, there are “outliers” in every niche, but I knew a phenomenal bencher who would only do sets of one rep…ever. Another guy did 3 sets of 6 reps on standing calf raises and had freakish calves.

I only train 4 days a week during a training “blast” and only 3 days a week during a training “cruise”

If you didn’t actually see his calves grow, I wouldn’t take any stock in what works for calf development. Chris Dickerson had some of the best calves ever seen on a bodybuilder in the 1970’s (and 1982 Olympia Win). He said he had a brother with better calves than him and he didn’t lift weights at all.