T Nation

One-a-Weeks or More Often?

which is better for strength/size: once a week (exp: chest all in one day each week, just pound the shit out of it), or 2+ (exp: upper/lower/rest/upper/lower)?

If you want strength you are better doing little volume more often, eg 2 sets <5 reps 4 days a week per body part. If you want size you are better off ‘just pound the shit out of it’ aka high volume once a week per body part like a body part split. So you decide: strength or size? Pick buddy.
Remember if you do one the other will come, but if you try to get both neither will come fast.

[quote]Eppert wrote:
which is better for strength/size: once a week (exp: chest all in one day each week, just pound the shit out of it), or 2+ (exp: upper/lower/rest/upper/lower)?[/quote]

IMO you should train a muscle as often as your personal recovery abilities allow. For a beginner that will be fairly often (3 times a week full body, like Rippetoe’s program is great for beginners), while most advanced trainee will need more rest.

Two way splits (like upper/lower, push/pull, etc…) are a good choice for intermediates (probably the largest percentage of lifters). At least that’s my opinion.

Try upper lower with one strength day for both upper/lower and one hypertrophy da for upper/lower.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Eppert wrote:
which is better for strength/size: once a week (exp: chest all in one day each week, just pound the shit out of it), or 2+ (exp: upper/lower/rest/upper/lower)?

IMO you should train a muscle as often as your personal recovery abilities allow. For a beginner that will be fairly often (3 times a week full body, like Rippetoe’s program is great for beginners), while most advanced trainee will need more rest.

Two way splits (like upper/lower, push/pull, etc…) are a good choice for intermediates (probably the largest percentage of lifters). At least that’s my opinion.[/quote]

Sentoguy - I’ve heard this a number of times (that more advanced lifters need more time to rest). What is the reasoning for this? It almost seems counter-intuitive in a way. I’m not questioning its validity since I’ve heard it over and over again, but I’ve never heard the reasoning behind why advanced lifters need more time to recover.

Advanced lifters lift closer to their genetic potential so the lifting is more stressful. Therefore, more recovery is required.

[quote]mrw173 wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
Eppert wrote:

Two way splits (like upper/lower, push/pull, etc…) are a good choice for intermediates (probably the largest percentage of lifters). At least that’s my opinion.

Sentoguy - I’ve heard this a number of times (that more advanced lifters need more time to rest). What is the reasoning for this? It almost seems counter-intuitive in a way. I’m not questioning its validity since I’ve heard it over and over again, but I’ve never heard the reasoning behind why advanced lifters need more time to recover.[/quote]

Your recovery abilities don’t advance very much, but you get a lot stronger and so stress your recovery harder than when you were starting out.