Once a Week Bench

I tried CT’s bigger bench program (and others) but the volume blew me away-other programs seems to do the same to me-my food and recovery is ok but seems i cant make gains!

I just feel like my nervous system cant handle too much at the moment (lots of stress and very busy at work) I am going to try once a week benching to see if full recovery between workouts may help me

Bench cluster 3 sets of 5 at 90% ,85% 92% of 1RM
Eccentric bench 1 set @ 120% 4-8 reps
Plus ext roation and rows etc

I?m worried that 7 days between bench sessions may not work- I have added 3 x 1 at 90% of my bench workout just to keep the exposure to the nervous system 4 days after my bench workout.
i’m unsure if 7 days between workouts for bench will be too long
Anyone have any thoughts on this??

STOP THE INSANITY!

You are doing triples at 90%, then eccentric overloads, then a few more singles at 90% a few days later?

What the hell were you doing when you trained more often?

There are tons of great prgrams here. Try the 10x3 starting light, and if the sets get too hard, knock off. Do this 2-3 times a week with some back. Eat. 90% is for peaking strength.

jmo
jack

I work my chest only once a week… of course I use a huge amount of volume. But go for it man, best thing I’ve ever done. I’ve been making the most consistant gains on this type of program than ever before.

Best of luck,
-CJ

thanks for the advise-The triples are clusters so i have 12 sec rest between each rep.
i am trying to peak for strength and have read that the fibres used for lifts above 90% are different than lifts under 90%.thus the focus on 90% lifts. have tried and liked 10 x 3 but wanted to try something to peak my strength.

[quote]jackreape wrote:
STOP THE INSANITY!

You are doing triples at 90%, then eccentric overloads, then a few more singles at 90% a few days later?

What the hell were you doing when you trained more often?

There are tons of great prgrams here. Try the 10x3 starting light, and if the sets get too hard, knock off. Do this 2-3 times a week with some back. Eat. 90% is for peaking strength.

jmo
jack[/quote]

Thanks for the positive feedback
i think back to about 5 years ago when i first tried lifting heavy westside style and just did the 3x3 once per week and got great gains- with all the total body 3 times per week training out there now i have not just done once per week for a long time.

am in 2 minds if i should keep the 3 singles at 90% on day 4?

[quote]cjf3690 wrote:
I work my chest only once a week… of course I use a huge amount of volume. But go for it man, best thing I’ve ever done. I’ve been making the most consistant gains on this type of program than ever before.

Best of luck,
-CJ[/quote]