T Nation

On TRT, Saliva Test - Comments?

Hello. So I’ve been on TRT for a-little over a year:slight_smile:!! Feeling pretty good. I had a saliva test done and these are the results. Not sure what they mean. Could someone help out here. Oh by the way I love this site, good info on here!!

My other question is:
According to these results would I benefit from supplementing DHEA and Progesterone? My current dose of T is 400mg every two weeeks(1shot =200md/each butt cheek). Gonna ask doc to change to weekly in beginning of July though. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance. ~Matt

Test Name Result Units Range
Estradiol (Saliva) 1.1 pg/mL 0.5-2.2
Progesterone (Saliva) 16 pg/mL 12-100
Testosterone (Saliva) 209 H pg/mL 44-148 (Age Dependent)
DHEAS (Saliva) 12.4 ng/mL 2-23 (Age Dependent)
Cortisol (Saliva) 4.4 ng/mL 3.7-9.5 (morning)

Unfortunately, you won’t get much traction here. Saliva testing is somewhat controversial. There are those in the medical field who swear by saliva testing. They say that these results show the actual bioavailable hormone level.

Those on the other side point to the fact that saliva testing is very unreliable mostly because of the collection methods are not standardized and really can’t be. At this point in time, it’s just not the gold standard test.

Also, when you inject every two weeks, the hormone levels will vary greatly depending on when in your cycle you take the test. You can imagine the difference in T levels two days after the injection compared to ten days later.

When you inject every two weeks, your hormone levels change drastically so any one lab is a snapshot and is meaningless as it does not represent anything.

Please read these links found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Suggested protocol:
self inject 50mg T [cyp/eth] twice a week
take 0.5mg anastrozole at time of injections
250iu hCG SC EOD to preserve your testes - optional

You can inject SC or IM over/in your quads with #29 1/2" 0.5ml insulin syringes. Very easy to do. SC prevents muscle damage over the years.

Your doctor is an idiot.

Do serum labs because the results are more meaningful and better understood.

OK, so I haven’t posted in awhile. Apologies all around. So my doc switched mt dose to .50cc/twice /week. I explained to him that the dose was to high all at once and if we could reduce frequency, he said it was OK. But, not sure I was still feeling upset=felt like crying one minute/agitated the next/then fine. So, I got nervous and called the doc. He said this isnt working for you and took me off TRT and put me on 50mgs Clomiphene citrate 1 pill every Mon-Wed-Fri and stop injections. Well, I feel worse now then on TRT. Only been on Clomid since last wednesday and havent taken any since Wed AM-530am(my dose was due today). Dont want to take it. Pharmicist said not to inject for 1 week, WHAT?! I’ve only taken4 clomid pills and feel like poo.

How long after my last pill do i have to wait to go back on T-injections?

Thanks in advance.

You need a full panel of blood tests. Pay for them yourself if need be. TRT is not a joke. You need to be on a time tested protocol to be healthy, safe and happy. Stop screwing around with all the changes. You need to pick a good protocol and STICK WITH IT! Protocol is easy to find in the stickies.

Clomid can make some healthy guys feel depressed and very quicky. Too many knee jerk reactions.