On Bad Routines Making Progress

Simple question I have…I do programs from here on T-Nation (HSS-100 by CT, ABBH1 by CW, 4 weeks of westside, and currently doing “the greatest workout ever” by JB). However, I feel that since I finished CT’s program which was very high volume and lifting 5x a week, my progress has stalled pretty hardcore.

My bench press at the end of CT’s HSS-100 was 215 whereas when I began it the 16 weeks earlier, it was around 185. All the other routines of lifting 3-4x a week have got me bored and not as much progress as CT’s did.

This makes me wonder, as I see guys in the gym going 6 days a week and lifting most of those days upper body, not giving their bodies a chance to “rest and recover” as I always hear about, yet their bodies are getting huge seriously along with their numbers going up, while mine still looks small in comparison.

They also use a lot of machines in accordance with the big lifting like bench press. I’m considering just going on to make my own routine or doing CT’s hss-100 over again to hopefully bump up the progress again.

So at age 21 and around it, does it seem more like the body can work well and grow well off high volume split routines as opposed to full body routines? I just do not see the progress on 3x a week 30-40 minute sessions like i do 5-6x a week in there for 45 min. -60 min.

DO what works for you man. There is no premade program on earth that will be perfect for you.

Lift and learn.

You’ve answered you own question. Dan John has said a good coach will ask your question back to you and you’ll usually answer it (correctly) for yourself.

Try the 5-6 times per week thing. Check the scale/mirror/tape etc. and see what’s working or not working.

[quote]Florida Titan wrote:
DO what works for you man. There is no premade program on earth that will be perfect for you.

Lift and learn.[/quote]

That pretty much sums it up. Well said.

I’m glad that you had success with my program. A lot of people are afraid of my methods because they are high volume and pretty high frequency… they fear getting overtrained simply from reading the program itself!

It is my belief that the more you can train without exceeding your recovery capacity, the more you’ll progress.

[quote]lifter85 wrote:
Simple question I have…I do programs from here on T-Nation (HSS-100 by CT, ABBH1 by CW, 4 weeks of westside, and currently doing “the greatest workout ever” by JB). However, I feel that since I finished CT’s program which was very high volume and lifting 5x a week, my progress has stalled pretty hardcore.

My bench press at the end of CT’s HSS-100 was 215 whereas when I began it the 16 weeks earlier, it was around 185. All the other routines of lifting 3-4x a week have got me bored and not as much progress as CT’s did.

This makes me wonder, as I see guys in the gym going 6 days a week and lifting most of those days upper body, not giving their bodies a chance to “rest and recover” as I always hear about, yet their bodies are getting huge seriously along with their numbers going up, while mine still looks small in comparison.

They also use a lot of machines in accordance with the big lifting like bench press. I’m considering just going on to make my own routine or doing CT’s hss-100 over again to hopefully bump up the progress again.

So at age 21 and around it, does it seem more like the body can work well and grow well off high volume split routines as opposed to full body routines? I just do not see the progress on 3x a week 30-40 minute sessions like i do 5-6x a week in there for 45 min. -60 min. [/quote]

I feel you here dude. This sort of shit keeps me awake at night. The best progress I ever made was using split routines, twice per day. I didn’t get as strong as I did training heavier with lower reps and volume but fuck did I hypertrophy quick. Now after injuring my fuking ankle I’m heading back to high volume splits. My split now is different from then. Now it’s more like Torso (chest/back), legs (fuk this is hard working just legs) and then auxiliary stuff like grip and arms later.

Not that it was a bad routine or anything. I think the case is that if you think you’re over-training you’re likely not.

-chris

Try the split routines. If they work for you, then stick with it; if not, then don’t.

Was your diet and/or recovery different when you were on CT’s program?

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
I’m glad that you had success with my program. A lot of people are afraid of my methods because they are high volume and pretty high frequency… they fear getting overtrained simply from reading the program itself!

It is my belief that the more you can train without exceeding your recovery capacity, the more you’ll progress.

lifter85 wrote:

So at age 21 and around it, does it seem more like the body can work well and grow well off high volume split routines as opposed to full body routines? I just do not see the progress on 3x a week 30-40 minute sessions like i do 5-6x a week in there for 45 min. -60 min.

[/quote]

you got it perfectly chris. AS long as your recovery ability is keeping up you can go as much or as little volume that works for you

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[/quote]

I totally agree, CT. Too many people can’t figure out how far to push that train/recovery line though and get scared away from programs like yours because they think they will overtrain. I consider your HSS programs to be some of the finest basis for individual program development I have seen in print.

Maybe you could share your thoughts on overtraining in general and what you have learned…

If I’m not mistaken, HSS is a specialization routine. So it would make sense that you would make more gains in one lift with a program like this then a broad total body workout like CW’s.

Of course, you may have just learned something about your body…

You aren’t entirely correct, there are specialization programs based on hss-100 but the original plan hits all body parts evenly.

CT’s programming methods have worked very well for me as well. I think the biggest thing is to have a given amount of time applied to increasing the volume of work then a back off week doing much less work. Its hard to do that less intense week even though its the best thing for you. The supercompensation I have noticed from this is awesome.