T Nation

On Again / Off Again

So, I’m definitely not new to the fitness world, but I am no where near the level of fit that I once was, I definitely tend to fade in and out of it on a very regular basis. I’ve done a few short obstacle races but lose complete motivation and backtrack all progress if I don’t have an upcoming event.

So here I am, freshly signed up with T Nation, trying to get my groove back. These days I jog occasionally (not usually more than 4 - 5km) and I do the odd body weight workout in my bedroom, but because that’s what I’ve usually done in the past and as expected its gotten a little dull.

I’m looking to challenge myself, stay motivated, and to get out of my boring / lazy “fitness rut”

What do I do? Where do I start?

[quote]selder3 wrote:
I’m looking to challenge myself, stay motivated, and to get out of my boring / lazy “fitness rut”

What do I do? Where do I start?[/quote]

crossfit

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:

crossfit[/quote]

Ill second that. The workouts are different everyday,there is no planning you just have to show up and put in the work. For people looking for general fitness its a great way to stay motivated and see results.

And it produces some pretty fit and hot women!

I suggest picking a specific performance and/ or physique goal and go from there. If my aim was as vague as “get fit,” I’d probably get bored and give up every few months too.

Pick a goal, formulate a plan, implement plan, achieve your goal, repeat. Once you have chosen a goal the people here can help you with the “formulate a plan” part.

[quote]selder3 wrote:
I’ve done a few short obstacle races but lose complete motivation and backtrack all progress if I don’t have an upcoming event.

What do I do? Where do I start?[/quote]
If you know you thrive when you have events to look forward to, set some concrete goals:

Either track down some events to put on your calendar or set some dates 3, 6, and 12 months out and keep them in your sight. Maybe start a log here since accountability and feedback can definitely be useful.

Crossfit is an obvious choice if fun runs and “staying fit” are all you’re shooting for. I just discussed the pros and cons of CF programming here:

But really, some specific goals will make it easier to come up with a plan.