T Nation

OMG!!! Obama Said Somthing I Agree With!!

With the exception of less guns and the whole last paragraph I agree with this.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1816485,00.html

So you like it when politicians lecture people about morality?

[quote]Gael wrote:
So you like it when politicians lecture people about morality?[/quote]

Why not? Broken homes have a greater chance of producing cycles of poverty and violence. Bad for you and me, no? I believe 70% of black Americans are now born out of wedlock.

I’m not sure how many of those pregnancies see the father and mother marry after the fact (but then, how many divorce?). Either way, it’s staggering. The “achievement gap” will never close with that kind of number.

Well, maybe it could. When white Americans’ out of wedlock births reach that high, I suppose. Of course, then there’s that many more children susceptible to the cycle of poverty and violence.

Anyways, I believe the hispanic stats are about 40%, with whites up to 26% now, but it’s been a bit since I last looked at the numbers.

Edit:
There’s a couple different folks who fill that empty daddy slot far too often.

1. A social worker/government entitlement rep. (more government we’re paying for)
  2. A Prison warden. (more government we’re paying for)

[quote]Gael wrote:

Oh ok I get it raising kids in single parent homes is cool right? Your a fool.

[quote]Gael wrote:

To a certain extent, yes:

Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
-Benjamin Franklin

Obama’s speech on the subject seemed pretty good. Too bad the whole Time article about it was basically putting it down as being aimed at “appeasing whites”, then going on to impress upon the reader that the actual people involved in the broken families only share part of the responsibility.

And it actually finishes with “…we (by which he seems to mean the Government) have got to give them (absentee fathers) a greater opportunity to stay home.” So I guess now we need to provide incentives for dads to stick around. Great.

[quote]MrRezister wrote:
Obama’s speech on the subject seemed pretty good. Too bad the whole Time article about it was basically putting it down as being aimed at “appeasing whites”, then going on to impress upon the reader that the actual people involved in the broken families only share part of the responsibility.

And it actually finishes with “…we (by which he seems to mean the Government) have got to give them (absentee fathers) a greater opportunity to stay home.” So I guess now we need to provide incentives for dads to stick around. Great.[/quote]

How do we do that? Genetically engineer super-hot black wimminz?

Best use of government money, EVER!

(I joke… sort of :D)

[quote]MrRezister wrote:

And it actually finishes with “…we (by which he seems to mean the Government) have got to give them (absentee fathers) a greater opportunity to stay home.” So I guess now we need to provide incentives for dads to stick around. Great.[/quote]

Anybody who voted to “finish off” a baby out of the womb, that happened to survive an abortion has no business lecturing about anything resembling morality.
I don’t think there is anybody here who thinks that killing a living baby outside of the womb isn’t flat out cold blooded murder.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
MrRezister wrote:

And it actually finishes with “…we (by which he seems to mean the Government) have got to give them (absentee fathers) a greater opportunity to stay home.” So I guess now we need to provide incentives for dads to stick around. Great.

How do we do that? Genetically engineer super-hot black wimminz?

Best use of government money, EVER!

(I joke… sort of :D)[/quote]

Thats a good idea. For real though I do think there should be bigger tax breaks, and home price discounts for married people that actually stay married.

[quote]jawara wrote:
Gael wrote:
So you like it when politicians lecture people about morality?

Oh ok I get it raising kids in single parent homes is cool right? Your a fool.[/quote]

That’s not at all my point.

Do you really think Obama told people anything they don’t know?

Do you really think absentee fathers will think “gee, I never realized I may have done something wrong. Thank goodness Obama is preaching and lecturing, now I know right from wrong.”

Do you think moral lecturing from this guy Obama – who is simply running for elected office – accomplishes anything?

Or perhaps when a politician points out moral truisms, it simply a move to get people like YOU to say “I agree.” You agree, and I agree, but so what? Don’t be so easily flattered.

This is not a new or insightful point. It’s not really even a point, but the subject matter has been talked about on this forum a lot. Now the chorus of people, white and black but mostly white, can look at Obama and say “Preach on.”

If these remarks afford Obama some respect at all, it is because Obama ventured out of the comfort zone of political correctness, and said something slightly risky. But not very risky.

Isn’t this what prompted Jesse Jackson to threaten to cut his nuts off?

Just because people are on differing sides of the political isle does not mean we must disagree with everything the opposite side says or does.

Yes everybody knows this, but it still needs to be said. people need to be reminded of the basics.

Just like no matter what complex workout plan we are doing, deciding on the order of exercises, the types of exercises, whole body, split, layoffs, 5 day based workouts, HIT, volume… We still need to squat and deadlift.

Sometimes people get so involved in the complexity they forget the basics, which are the most important. (Written for this audience.)

[quote]The Mage wrote:
Just because people are on differing sides of the political isle does not mean we must disagree with everything the opposite side says or does.

Yes everybody knows this, but it still needs to be said. people need to be reminded of the basics.

Just like no matter what complex workout plan we are doing, deciding on the order of exercises, the types of exercises, whole body, split, layoffs, 5 day based workouts, HIT, volume… We still need to squat and deadlift.

Sometimes people get so involved in the complexity they forget the basics, which are the most important. (Written for this audience.) [/quote]

::clasp::

Bravo. Bravisimo!

Please do not clasp the mage.