T Nation

OMG Golden Corral

So, you walk in this place, pay 11 bucks and YOU GET A WHOLE FUCKING BUILDING FULL OF MEAT!

I'm on the road in NC right now. Nasty ice storm has everything shut down. Me being from Maine ventures out because I need FOOD and the only thing open is Golden Corral (even McDonalds is closed!).

Somehow, I've never been in this place, but it's got meat and food out the wazzoo!

Not the best food in the world, but let's face it-- meat, meat wrapped in bacon, green beans and bacon, chicken, meatballs-- holy shit.

Did I mention this whole building is full of meat?

Those places are hit and miss for the quality and cleanliness. However the potatoe bar they used to have (I haven't been to one in a long time) was epic.

They get mad after your fourth steak, so make sure you switch it up a bit.

So, there are load bearing salamis in every corner? Is the ceiling made of brisket?

Floors of custom Italian in-laid pork and chicken? Mmmmm.....

I see commercials for this place all the time but I don't think there are any around here....

Wait, so is it just a big ass all you can eat buffet? We got one here awhile ago but I haven't checked it out yet.

To hell with that! Tell them you've been diagnosed by several eminent beef-ologists as "dangerously deficient in steak and other assorted beef-stuffs", and that you in fact have been issued a card validating this condition.

When they ask to see it, punch them in the face.

that place is a wonderland. :). the marvelous food.
the meat station rocks. last time i went there the guy was carving a brisket and had some steaks almost ready. did i go to him twice and he hooked me up? yes and yes.

We don't have them around here. How does it compare to Ponderosa? And by "it", I mean the TTS factor.

TTS - Origin:English (Abbr, Noun). Time To Shitter. The mean duration from initial consumption of buffet-style food to elimination of waste products. See also, Colon Straightening.

that place is a wonderland. :). the marvelous food.
the meat station rocks. last time i went there the guy was carving a brisket and had some steaks almost ready. did i go to him twice and he hooked me up? yes and yes.

The closest thing we have up here to a meat buffet is a place called gauchos. But it's 24$ a plate...so you better believe I eat way way to much meat...

It's my favorite restaurant, even before I started lifting, due to the unlimited amount of steak. it's basically a bulking bodybuilder's paradise

Hit and miss is correct. Wood Grill, Old Country Buffet, Great American Buffet...all great things.

I used to work at Ponderosa in my teens ... that food is garbage. GC has a lot more variety and slightly better quality.

The one on the Thruway in NY is a miss. The food tasted OK going down, but I had the shits for my entire 3 day weekend in Montreal.

Haven't been to a Golden Corral in probably a decade but agree on the hit-or-miss part. What you need to find is a Pancho's Mexican buffet. You go through a line cafeteria style and fill up your tray with whatever you want [Flautas, taquitos, chalupas, whatever] and go to your table. When you're ready for more food you raise a little Mexican flag on your table and the waitress will come by and ask you what you want. You get to do this an unlimited amount of times. When you're finally stuffed full of delicious Mexican goodness, the waitress brings a tray of freshly cooked sopapillas and warm honey. It is glorious. Haven't been here in over a decade as well, but I'm gonna find one in celebration of this thread.

Pancho's is perhaps the king of hit-or-miss buffets, if by 'hit' you mean 'miss' and by 'miss' you mean 'shoot yourself in the GI tract'.

I was not impressed. Chachos is the way to go for significant volumes of mexican food of decent to high quality with decent total pricing.

Agree with OP on Golden Corral. One on 290 and... Hollister...ish...in Houston was decent to me six months ago. Haven't been back for unrelated reasons.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I love Golden Corral. The bourbon street chicken is awesome, the steak, the roast, the fried chicken, the spiced fish, the bacon, the beef shrimp chinese stir fry, the tacos. Add a potato, macaroni and cheese, pizza, and chili on the side, and it's like heaven.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Did you go in the late 80's/early 90's? We used to go to the one by the house off of 59 on the other side of Westwood Mall, and it was amazing. Went again early 2000's and the quality had gone way down. Drove by the other day and now it's a Zorro's buffet, but don't know what they're serving. Chacho's is alright, but it's more of an after hours "grub on shit while you're hammered" joint.

If that's what you're into go to La taqueria tapatia. Stay away from Rucchi's. Also, went to a Country Kitchen Buffet once and got sick as a dog so never went back. There used to be a joint called Ryans that was just like GC, but don't know if they're still around. And, when you're really trying to go apeshit there's always CiCi's.