Omelette Good, Fried Eggs Bad?

I recommend investing in a good non-stick pan and then adding any fats to the omelet afterward thus avoiding altering the chemical composition of said fats.

[quote]aradian wrote:
I recommend investing in a good non-stick pan and then adding any fats to the omelet afterward thus avoiding altering the chemical composition of said fats. [/quote]

Non stick is the way to go for sure. Keep in mind that with an omlette the yolk cholesterol has been oxidized anyway so the fat added afterwards, really is inconsequential at that point.

Also adding the fat after defeats the purpose of it’s intended use. I suggest just use a saturated fat, because of the stability factors regarding heat. IMO

[quote]BAATAR wrote:
aradian wrote:
I recommend investing in a good non-stick pan and then adding any fats to the omelet afterward thus avoiding altering the chemical composition of said fats.

Non stick is the way to go for sure. Keep in mind that with an omlette the yolk cholesterol has been oxidized anyway so the fat added afterwards, really is inconsequential at that point.

Also adding the fat after defeats the purpose of it’s intended use. I suggest just use a saturated fat, because of the stability factors regarding heat. IMO
[/quote]

2 things:

1.) wouldn’t a csat iron skillet be better than a nonstick pan? There are tons of newslcips that are now pretty much saying that teflon and aluminum nonstick pans are bad because when they heat up the food absorbs alot of the metal.

2.) I know cholesterol isn’t bad, but isn’t oxidized cholesterol supposed to be bad for you? Therefore wouldn’t eating the egg yolks runny be better for you?

It’s all bunch of bullshit . You don’t need allot of butter / oil to fry an egg . And it’s not that bad anyway . Just be Happy your eating real foods in a good balance … Cook good/real food and enjoy !!! You’ll be doing 10x better then most of the world …

[quote]JamFly wrote:
I find omelettes frustrating… flipping a 6 egg omelette isnt easy, I always seem to end up with a gooey mess in the pan!

[/quote]

Who flips there omelettes? If you do it right there is not need to flip. you pull the sides back and let the liquid run to the clear part of the pan and let is slowly cook. Just before its done you add your filling and flip one side over. but you don’t flip the whole omelette.

No , No , No . You add Egg , Stir vigorously for ten seconds , Leave alone until almost cooked through . Then fold 1/3 in the pan and the other 1/3 when putting on the plate ! That’s how it’s done properly !!!

[quote]bonzi50 wrote:
JamFly wrote:
I find omelettes frustrating… flipping a 6 egg omelette isnt easy, I always seem to end up with a gooey mess in the pan!

Who flips there omelettes? If you do it right there is not need to flip. you pull the sides back and let the liquid run to the clear part of the pan and let is slowly cook. Just before its done you add your filling and flip one side over. but you don’t flip the whole omelette.
[/quote]

True. You don’t flip omelettes, you fold them!

[quote]swordthrower wrote:
bonzi50 wrote:
JamFly wrote:

True. You don’t flip omelettes, you fold them![/quote]

actually you bang the pan handle and then roll it out. it folds itself.

[quote]swivel wrote:
swordthrower wrote:
bonzi50 wrote:
JamFly wrote:

True. You don’t flip omelettes, you fold them!

actually you bang the pan handle and then roll it out. it folds itself. [/quote]

I’m a chef by trade and french trained, just going to add this to the discussion.

That’s a french technique for making omelettes. Within that technique your omelette takes about 45 seconds.

An omelette pan that’s used is for that purpose only and never used for anything else. It’s normally a well seasoned steel pan, popular in france for cooking.

Anyway you get the pan fairly hot, add the fat then the eggs and with the heel of a fork your swirl vigorously for about 20 seconds and the manipulation of the cooked egg at the bottom continually being flipped to the top from this action makes quick work of the omelette.

Tilt the pan away from you and roll the eggs away from you while shaking or banging the handle gently. The residual heat will continue to cook the egg after the rolling is done. Flip the omelette onto a plate. Done. BTW the true test of a good french omelette is that there are no brown areas and no seams showing and shaped like a football, sorta.

The American omelette is normally cooked under medium heat and the eggs are allowed to cook until the underside has browned, then folded in half. this technique is easier for sure, and it much drier than the french omelette.