Omelette Good, Fried Eggs Bad?

This has always puzzled me.

To fry eggs: Heat skillet, add oil, crack eggs in skillet, fry, serve.

To make omelette: Crack eggs, stir with fork, add other stuff to taste, heat skillet, add oil, pour egg-mix in skillet, fry, serve.

Now, fried eggs are not considered healthy, but omelettes are? What’s the difference?

Seriously, I don’t get it. What am I missing?

Fried egg usually entails a heaping portion of butter or margarine to get the edges crisp, where an omelette usually only takes a couple spritzes of oil to keep it from sticking.

Plus fried eggs also are usually accompanied by a heaping helping of bacon and buttered biscuits :slight_smile:

It’s just perception.

As Ragoo says, it is to do with what you serve it with. A fried egg is usually part of a big ol’ fried breakfast whereas an omelette usually contains a good portion of veg with either more veg or salad on the side.

I use a good non stick pan and “fry” eggs with NO oil… add some nice lean bacon and wholemeal pitta and it is a relatively healthy version of a classic bacon and egg sarnie. If I could get it I’d use turkey bacon…

I find omelettes frustrating… flipping a 6 egg omelette isnt easy, I always seem to end up with a gooey mess in the pan!

Here’s an alternative I use most mornings.

Scrambled eggs with cheese. Put some milk in a pot slice in a little cheese and crack in some black pepper. Crack in the eggs, whisk it all up and cook it, mixing it whilst it cooks. To prepare this from scratch takes 7 minutes if you use a high heat during cooking.

Thanks, guys! That’s what I thought - confirmation is always good.

[quote]JamFly wrote:
I find omelettes frustrating… flipping a 6 egg omelette isnt easy, I always seem to end up with a gooey mess in the pan!

Here’s an alternative I use most mornings.

Scrambled eggs with cheese. Put some milk in a pot slice in a little cheese and crack in some black pepper. Crack in the eggs, whisk it all up and cook it, mixing it whilst it cooks. To prepare this from scratch takes 7 minutes if you use a high heat during cooking.[/quote]

Why flip the omelette? While the bottom is cooking, turn on the broiler, then place your filling in the middle, then place the pan under the broiler until the eggs barely start to brown. It comes out fluffier and is easy to tri-fold to keep your filling in the middle.

[quote]JamFly wrote:

…crack in some black pepper. Crack in the eggs…[/quote]

Dude, crack kills. Just say NO!!!

I have the solution…

Fry with olive oil! at low temp, use some olive oil and you got a healthier meal.

And for the omelette flipping problem, cook one side, then open your oven to broil, and heat the top until it cooks. It should take around 2-5 minutes

The answer to the apparent contradiction is that neither one is unhealthy. The danger that is associated with “fried” food has far more to do with deep-fat frying food in rancid and/or hydrogenated vegetable oils than cooking an egg in a skillet lined with butter or coconut oil. I would be skeptical of those who claim that natural saturated fats (e.g., egg yolk, butter, tallow, tropical oils) are dangerous.

The best way to cook up a mean fried egg is to cook up some beef bacon (hey, I’m Jewish) in the skillet, remove the strips, then fry the eggs in the tallow drippings. I skip the buttered toast most days, but that is because I’m eating NHE/AD style. Now that is some good eating! Makes me hungery just thinking about it.

For a good crisp 6 egg omelet use an extra large pan. Let it cook a good while before you fold and flip. If I go more than 3 eggs in a normal size pan the omelets get too runny.

if you make a proper omelette it only takes about 30 seconds to cook. so for six eggs i make three of them.

back to the original question a fried sunny side-up egg is considered “healthier” than omelettes or scrambled eggs which are thought to be the worst methods of cooking because the combination of heat and air will expose the cholesterol in the yoke to oxidation. arteries do not have receptors for cholesterol, only oxidised cholesterol. google “oxidized cholesterol”. it’s all over the place.

you’re also better off using butter or some other saturated fat than some crap vegetable oil product which is pretty much the same shit they use @ kfc.

Like someone said, it is about how you fry them and what with. I fry 6 eggs almost every morning. I use a nonstick pan and no oil or butter. I top my eggs with avacado. Very tasty and nothing unhealthy about it.

Here we go again… Butter is NOT bad for you. Your body (especially if you are active) NEEDS saturated fat, not to mention your brain. I eat 3-4 eggs every morning cooked in butter usually with bacon, and I am a healthy dude.

There is no correlation between saturated fat intake and heart disease. End of story.

Now go fry up some eggs and eat a steak.

1 Like

[quote]swordthrower wrote:
Here we go again… Butter is NOT bad for you. Your body (especially if you are active) NEEDS saturated fat, not to mention your brain. I eat 3-4 eggs every morning cooked in butter usually with bacon, and I am a healthy dude.

There is no correlation between saturated fat intake and heart disease. End of story.

Now go fry up some eggs and eat a steak.[/quote]

Well put, ST. My sentiments exactly.

Since when do you use oil for an omelette?

Cooking tip, cook your eggs with organic butter, healthy and tasty.

A little oil won’t make anything unhealthy either.

All my omelettes end as scrambled eggs with veggies and cheese mixed in. Going on 5 years of cooking my own food, and I only pulled off an omelette once.

[quote]sugarfree wrote:
All my omelettes end as scrambled eggs with veggies and cheese mixed in. Going on 5 years of cooking my own food, and I only pulled off an omelette once.[/quote]

i was trying to learn and i asked a friend who is chef what the deal was because it seemed so simple and he just said “hot pan”. and i said the pan is hot and he said it again. “hot pan”. when he showed me how to do it and it went pretty much like this minus the music and plus a few beers:

he also told me the meaning of “saute” which means to jump, which in cooking means the pan is so hot the food jumps when it contacts, which is also why saute uses as little oil as possible. you can see the egg jumping in the video, that’s a hot pan but the omelette isn’t burned or even browned because he works FAST. mmm that’s a tender omelette.

it took me a while to get it down, the heat, the stirring, adding the cheese and ham, etc. all so fast. the real key for mr though tossing my farberware and getting a 3mm carbon pan.

[quote]Stuey wrote:

I use a good non stick pan and “fry” eggs with NO oil… add some nice lean bacon and wholemeal pitta and it is a relatively healthy version of a classic bacon and egg sarnie. If I could get it I’d use turkey bacon…[/quote]

Is turkey bacon not available in the UK?

Damn. Too many tasty recipes.

So. Hungry. Must. Eat. :slight_smile:

one more omelette tip : don’t use eggs straight from the fridge. do it just like the guy in the vid. let the chill come off in a bowl for 10 -15 minutes and mix them right before they hit the pan.