T Nation

Omega 3 Daily or Mega Dosing ?

Is it better over the course of a weeks time to keep a steady state of O3 in the system or better to hit it hard on my 4 days of training ?

I can either take 36 grams per four training days or 36 grams over seven days..

Any thoughts ?

I would keep it in your system.

Take it every day. More on training days, if you want.

My opinion only though.

One thing to keep in mind when it comes to fish oil pills is that they can lower your blood pressure and upset your digestive system in large doses. Digestive issues aside I don’t like to mess with my blood pressure by sporadically lowering it when I remember to take a handful of pills.

~ My 2 cents

Take it daily. The benefits come over time.

[quote]killerDIRK wrote:
Is it better over the course of a weeks time to keep a steady state of O3 in the system or better to hit it hard on my 4 days of training ?

I can either take 36 grams per four training days or 36 grams over seven days…[/quote]
Pretty much like everyone’s saying, take it everyday.

Taking more on days you train doesn’t make a lot of sense, because the argument could be made that you need the anti-inflammatory effects and other benefits even more on days you’re recovering/not training.

Recent research has raised concern re a link between DHA/EPA/DPA (the ‘active ingredients’ in fish-oil caps) and prostate cancer. As an older guy, I find this very concerning, and have cut back significantly on my fish-oil supplementation dosage (although if the studies are correct, I’m probably still taking too much). Caveat emptor.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
Recent research has raised concern re a link between DHA/EPA/DPA (the ‘active ingredients’ in fish-oil caps) and prostate cancer. As an older guy, I find this very concerning, and have cut back significantly on my fish-oil supplementation dosage (although if the studies are correct, I’m probably still taking too much). Caveat emptor.

http://www.fhcrc.org/en/news/releases/2013/07/omega-three-fatty-acids-risk-prostate-cancer.html [/quote]
I believe that was discussed, and at least partly “debunked”, in this thread:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/fish_oil_and_higher_prostate_cancer_risk

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

http://www.fhcrc.org/en/news/releases/2013/07/omega-three-fatty-acids-risk-prostate-cancer.html [/quote]
I believe that was discussed, and at least partly “debunked”, in this thread:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/fish_oil_and_higher_prostate_cancer_risk
[/quote]

Thanks, hadn’t seen that discussion. Although I didn’t see much of what I would consider compelling ‘debunking’ in that thread. And it bears noting that the finding of a link between these oils and prostate CA is not limited to this one study.

So, speaking as a long-time fish oil consumer who would love nothing more than to see its purported link to prostate CA discredited, unfortunately I think my conclusion above–ie, ‘caveat emptor’–remains prudent for the time being, at least where us guys over 50 and/or with a strong family hx of prostate CA are concerned. (YMMV, of course.)

[quote]SBT wrote:
Take it daily. The benefits come over time.[/quote]

x2

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
Thanks, hadn’t seen that discussion. Although I didn’t see much of what I would consider compelling ‘debunking’ in that thread. And it bears noting that the finding of a link between these oils and prostate CA is not limited to this one study.

So, speaking as a long-time fish oil consumer who would love nothing more than to see its purported link to prostate CA discredited, unfortunately I think my conclusion above–ie, ‘caveat emptor’–remains prudent for the time being, at least where us guys over 50 and/or with a strong family hx of prostate CA are concerned. (YMMV, of course.)[/quote]

Fairly sure sure you’ll find Jonny Bowden’s de-bunking of that same silly/ridiculous piece of journalism more than satisfactory:

Here’s hoping Bowden is right, and that the relationship between these fatty acids and prostate cancer proves spurious.

Hey, thanks for all the replies ! I have gone back to a daily regiment of about 5grams Epa/ 3 grams Dha daily… 8gr total.
Not saying that Charles Poliquin is wrong by any means. Just feel like I would like to keep that steady flow in the system
without killing 20-30 grams per day…

Caveat Emptor !

I take and like Udo’s Blend. I have been taking Omega-3 Flax seed oil. 1000mg twice a day.
In Udo’s book he states “Fish oils are currently very popular. Are they as good as their publicity claims”?
There are several problems with fish oils. First, the processing is destructive. If you squeeze a seed, oil drips out. If you squeeze a fish, you get a mess. Cleaning up that mess requires processing, and the processing damages oil molecules. Fish oils are five times more sensitive to light, oxygen, heat and destruction than are seed n-3?s. So you get damaged molecules in your fish oils.

The second problem is contamination. All fish oils contain persistent organic pollutants-PCB?s, dioxins and organochlorine pesticides. Some contain mercury. It?s impossible to remove it all.
This man knows EVERYTHING about fish oils and oils from seeds!!

As with most everything else, a moderate approach is usually best, but individuation also must be considered.

Just to share my personal experience: I’ve never done well with even moderate dose omega 3s (anything over a couple pills). Gave me indigestion, where normally I never have an issue with that sort of thing. Maybe this has something to do with it. Can’t tell what my body is trying to say, just that I needed to not do that. I personally find Krill oil much more tolerable, and it’s supposedly better assimilated in the body, and and has astaxanthin mixed in with it (naturally) which alleviates some concern (if even credible) of the body oxidizing them

**edit - just read the Jonny Bowden article

Context is Everything

1. 53 percent of the subjects with prostate cancer were smokers.
  2. 64 percent of the cancer subjects regularly consumed alcohol.
  3. 30 percent of the cancer subjects had at least one first-degree relative with prostate cancer.
  4. 80 percent of the cancer subjects were overweight or obese.