T Nation

Omega 3 and Wikipedia...

Take a look at the Omega 3 definition in wikipedia…

I can say the ‘‘facts’’ are good, but the part on health benefits is scary… They seem to tell us that it is not recommended if you have heart problems (like congenital heart failures). It also seems that it would not be recommended to diabetics. Why would that be?

[quote]gogotheviking wrote:
Take a look at the Omega 3 definition in wikipedia…

I can say the ‘‘facts’’ are good, but the part on health benefits is scary… They seem to tell us that it is not recommended if you have heart problems (like congenital heart failures). It also seems that it would not be recommended to diabetics. Why would that be?[/quote]

Because,education wise,our wonderful government has their hand in certain things.
I wouldn’t believe everything I read off of there.
I don’t see why taking fish oil wouldn’t be recommend for people with “Heart problems”.
I know that in England they can prescribe fish oil,but not in America,since it would cut into the profits of the drug companies that produce cholesterol medication.
I’d like to see the science behind this,if there is any.

Hmm, nice language… “known or suspected risks may include”.

It looks like a laundry list of possible complications of anti-inflammatory issues taken to extreme.

Given that it comes from the “supplements division” and that the FDA is not overly friendly to direct drug competition, I’m not inclined to worry about an old (circa 2000) unreferenced list of such suppositions.

There is a lot of formal research out there available for reference these days…

a lot of negative findings come from poorly controlled studies or from case studies of people who are sick in more than one way. they represent the worst case scenarios. also, watch for qualifying words such as may or can. it happened to someone, it can or may happen to you.

you think the hippies selling fish oil are going to lobby the government like drug companies? i doubt it.

note: i don’t actually believe it is hippies selling fish oil

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
note: i don’t actually believe it is hippies selling fish oil[/quote]

Just imagine how bad they would smell if they did.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
ubl0 wrote:
note: i don’t actually believe it is hippies selling fish oil

Just imagine how bad they would smell if they did.
[/quote]

as bad as your velour uniform? how come only 1 p and 1 n?