T Nation

Oly's - Front Squat

If i wanted to increase my powerclean poundages ( quarter squat catch), could i use back squats & clean pulls instead of front squats for the development of maximum leg strength ? Or would i be at a disadvantage?

I meanto totally exclude front squats… simply because i am prone to straining some mid back muscles when performing them (!), and there’s nothing wrong in my form!

The purpose of an oly lifter training the front squat is not just for leg power, but also to get comfortable in the catch portion of a squat clean.

However, if you are only looking to incease your POWER clean, then I would say you can neglect them to a degree. I wouldn’t cut them out completely, but what you are proposing might not be a bad idea.

Also, if your form is on and you are experiancing middle back issues, look at strengthening your rhomboid strength. I know that sounds weird, but your rhomboids work as a stabilizer, and can often fatigue quickly with front squats.

Cable cross rows, seated retractions, and face pulls are all good choices.

[quote]wressler125 wrote:
Also, if your form is on and you are experiancing middle back issues, look at strengthening your rhomboid strength. I know that sounds weird, but your rhomboids work as a stabilizer, and can often fatigue quickly with front squats.

Cable cross rows, seated retractions, and face pulls are all good choices.[/quote]

True, but the point when doing front squats, as Poliquin illustrated in his last article, is to keep the reps low enough so that the rhomboids don’t fatigue.

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:
wressler125 wrote:

Cable cross rows, seated retractions, and face pulls are all good choices.

True, but the point when doing front squats, as Poliquin illustrated in his last article, is to keep the reps low enough so that the rhomboids don’t fatigue.
[/quote]

Also true. Poliquin points out that reps over 6 will fatigue the rhomboids. However, if the rhomboids are week, then wouldnt it make sense that they would fatigue earlier?