T Nation

Olympus Has Fallen (Movie)

I saw this yesterday and I had to recommend this to my T-peeps.

This movie delivers, I compare this to the excitement that the original Die Hard movie brought. The cast is stellar (Gerard Butler, Aaron Eckhart, Morgan Freeman, Ashley Judd) and the action is nonstop.

The basic plot is about terrorists taking over the White House, and Butler being a Secret Service agent has to stop them from…well…I can’t spoil it all.

Thanks for the heads up, Max!

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
The basic plot is about terrorists taking over the White House
[/quote]

I thought it was an action movie? Not a documentary about the past 2 elections?

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
The basic plot is about terrorists taking over the White House
[/quote]

I thought it was an action movie? Not a documentary about the past 2 elections? [/quote]

I kind of feel it was a little too Die Hard for me if anything, so much so that it had diminishing returns on it’s originality. Gerard Butler handled his part incredibly well, and the action scenes were pretty entertaining, the script was a little loose but I can let that slide from a fun action movie.
The overwhelming patriotism is so cliche, but what can you really expect from Hollywood?

A tad cheesy, a hell of a lot of fun, it’s a pretty enjoyable film. Maybe not quite as accomplished as Die Hard, but at the very least it makes a better Die Hard than Die Hard 5. Thumbs up.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
The basic plot is about terrorists taking over the White House…
[/quote]

So it’s Die Hard in a building?

What do you mean it’s DIE HARD in a building ‘roybot’?, was the original DIE HARD not in a building
too? What are talkin’ about? What do you mean? What are you saying roybot?

[quote]roybot wrote:
So it’s Die Hard in a different building?[/quote]

Fixed.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
The basic plot is about terrorists taking over the White House…
[/quote]

So it’s Die Hard in a building?[/quote]

Were you planning on stealing all my shine ? :slight_smile:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

Fixed.[/quote]

No fix required. “It’s Die Hard in a building” was a genuine movie pitch. There is already another ‘Die Hard in The White House’ movie on the way, starring Channing Tatum.

On the plus side, the far less creatively titled White House Down is directed by Roland Emmerich, so I’m hoping for an Independence Day tie-in. Won’t hold my breath -Bill Pullman isn’t President.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

Fixed.[/quote]

No fix required. “It’s Die Hard in a building” was a genuine movie pitch. There is already another ‘Die Hard in The White House’ movie on the way, starring Channing Tatum.

On the plus side, the far less creatively titled White House Down is directed by Roland Emmerich, so I’m hoping for an Independence Day tie-in. Won’t hold my breath -Bill Pullman isn’t President.[/quote]

Channing Tatum ?

FUCK NO

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

Fixed.[/quote]

On the plus side, the far less creatively titled White House Down is directed by Roland Emmerich, so I’m hoping for an Independence Day tie-in. Won’t hold my breath -Bill Pullman isn’t President.[/quote]

Oh my god that sounds awful. Literally everything about that sounds awful. Channing Tatum is not a good hero type, Roland Emmerich is definitely not a good director. I wonder if it’s pure coincidence the launch time came within a few months of Olympus. Maybe Emmerich is trying to play off his unimaginative hackiness with audiences dumb enough to forget the same film came out earlier in the year, only slightly better the first time around.

All I’m hoping for is a Straight-To-DVD Release.

I don’t get why they have to always go over the top with these kind of movies. Die Hard was brilliant because it stayed within boundaries that were semi-realistic or realistic to the point of successfully transmitting suspension of disbelief, where the audience didn’t care about the greater scheme.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
I don’t get why they have to always go over the top with these kind of movies. Die Hard was brilliant because it stayed within boundaries that were semi-realistic or realistic to the point of successfully transmitting suspension of disbelief, where the audience didn’t care about the greater scheme. [/quote]

I think this (the idea of it being believable) is where this movie shines.

Because Gerard Butler really sells this character, along with the authentic looking scenery of the White House, I felt like it was really happening.

This is a movie worth watching for pure entertainment, not learning a life lesson.

I wish there was a film where the USA actually lost and we here in England are the last bastion of hope except that we dont allow immigrants into our country.

huzzah!

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

Fixed.[/quote]

Oh my god that sounds awful. Literally everything about that sounds awful. Channing Tatum is not a good hero type, Roland Emmerich is definitely not a good director. I wonder if it’s pure coincidence the launch time came within a few months of Olympus. Maybe Emmerich is trying to play off his unimaginative hackiness with audiences dumb enough to forget the same film came out earlier in the year, only slightly better the first time around.
[/quote]

Yeah, it was coincidental. Both movies were in production at more or less the same time. It happens. Two competing movies with the same idea? Last one is always the rotten egg - Costner vs. Bergen. Arrows at dawn.

[quote]harrypotter wrote:
I wish there was a film where the USA actually lost and we here in England are the last bastion of hope except that we dont allow immigrants into our country.

huzzah![/quote]

You mean the Harry Potter franchise?

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
I don’t get why they have to always go over the top with these kind of movies. Die Hard was brilliant because it stayed within boundaries that were semi-realistic or realistic to the point of successfully transmitting suspension of disbelief, where the audience didn’t care about the greater scheme. [/quote]

X2 Die Hard worked because john mcclane was pretty much a normal guy, a badass, but he dint do any ridiculous comic book super hero type shit. Nowadays studios dont know the difference between a action movie and a comic book flick.

[quote]roybot wrote:

huzzah![/quote]

You mean the Harry Potter franchise?[/quote]
lolol

[quote]roybot wrote:

huzzah![/quote]

You mean the Harry Potter franchise?[/quote]

That would only work if the entire US were full of evil nose-less mutants, and not just Louisiana.