T Nation

Olympic weightlifting

Does anyone have advice on olympic weightlifting. In particular reps, sets, frequency, assistance exercises (so I look good nakid as well).

Start out with three or four workouts a week. Establish a good base of strength first. Then move into learning the technical aspects of the lifts. A good rule of thumb is to have a squat, push and pull in each workout. Reps should always be low (5 and under). Sets will need to be 5-12 and rest will need to be 3-5 minutes between sets. A sample program that I’ve followed in the past when I competed is as follows:

MONDAY - Snatches, snatch pulls, back squats. WEDNESDAY - Jerks or push presses, Bench press, pulldowns or rows. FRIDAY - Cleans, clean pulls, front squats.

Assistance exercises can be thrown in at the end of the above workouts for 2-4 sets of 6-8 reps. This is where you can throw in some arm work if necessary. Our workouts were fairly simple, but you would work very hard. Most workouts took 1-2 hours depending on how many sets and how much rest was required. I made good gains in strength during this time while keeping a low bodyweight for competition purposes. Although, I never could keep up with the people I was competing against. I'm not naturally strong, nor do I think I could have worked up to the amount of weight that I needed to without many years of training. My friends still compete and follow workouts like the above. One has finished 2 or 3 nationally (competing in the 69kg class). The other usually finishes in the Top 10 or 15 (competing in the 94-105kg class).

Check out “An Introduction To Olympic-Style Weightlifting” by John Cissik, Primis Custom Publishing. It demonstrates the lifts, assistance exercises and gives sample workouts based on experience level.