T Nation

Olympic vs Powerlifting Style Squats

How many of you use the olympic style in competiton?. i thought all powerlifters used the wide stance, power style version, but i’ve looked up on youtube and some guys use the olympic style. should i still use the olympic one if i squat powerlifting style, maybe as a max effort or supplementary exercise?.
Thanks

raw guys are generally closer stance. I would do whichever I could move the most weight with.

Raw Guys Squat High Bar, Closer Stance almost exclusively from what I have seen.

I think the wide stance will help certain type of equipped lifters more.

How ever my knowledge of power lifting equipment is almost non existent so maybe one of the guys who lift equipped can chime in with a more informed opinion.

To be honest, my fed is strict on depth, so I squat narrow stance deep, high bar position all the time just about. Aside from box squats…

Generally…

Raw & single-ply: closer stance / high bar (very strict on depth)

Multi-ply: wider stance / low bar (anything even close to parallel is O.K.)

In competition I use a wide stance, because I am wearing briefs and a squat suit to give me a pop out of the hole and shorten the distance.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
Generally…

[/quote]

I love it when people use examples like that to show how to squat in multi ply powerlifting, when multi ply lifers don’t even consider that a legit squat.

I mostly squat in heavy gear (double suit/full cut doubel briefs) in a monolift, but I prefer a relatively close stance. I’m just stronger and more stable that way versus a very wide stance (ala Chuck Vogelpohl).

I prefer a low bar position. But with heavier weights and the thicker bars that we use in most meets now, I have had to switch to a almost a high-bar position (ala Sam Byrd, Greg Panora) to keep from rolling.

If I’m squatting raw, I use about the same stance as I do in gear, but I will carry the bar very low on my back.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
Generally…

I love it when people use examples like that to show how to squat in multi ply powerlifting, when multi ply lifers don’t even consider that a legit squat.[/quote]

I certainly don’t intend to offend. Maybe I need some education. Please post some links to multi-ply squats for me to take a look at…I’ve never seen any look much different. Here is Sam Bird…looks about the same. Help me out!!!

Once again this is something that will depend on you. I train with guys who have a wide stance raw and close stance geared and others who are backwards from that. You need to figure out what works for you. Try to avoiod going too wide on raw squats is all i would say.

Also, high bar versus low bar has not much to do with gear vs raw. Many multi-ply lifters have a higher bar setup because the suits dont allow for a low bar because of the thickness of the suit…but lets not get into a single vs multi ply thing.

If you have anymore serious questions, PM me and I will try to help.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
Generally…

I love it when people use examples like that to show how to squat in multi ply powerlifting, when multi ply lifers don’t even consider that a legit squat.

I certainly don’t intend to offend. Maybe I need some education. Please post some links to multi-ply squats for me to take a look at…I’ve never seen any look much different. Here is Sam Bird…looks about the same. Help me out!!!

[/quote]

I won’t pretend to be a fan of multiply squats, because by and large they’re high (or as some would have you believe, the camera angle sucks), but Byrd’s was definiately in there. Certainly much more so than you’d normally see anyway.

Another factor to consider in regards to stance width is that the lighter guys will usually be closer, and the guys with the guts (*leverage!!) tend to go a bit wider.

I used to lift in fairly loose single ply gear and used a fairly narrow stance. I also lifted using o-lifting shoes rather than flat-soled Chucks. I had started out lifting in Chucks with a wider stance, but eventually moved my stance in a bit (not quite the narrowness of o-lifting squats but much narrower than the ultra wide stance squats) and it improved my numbers.

Personally, I think a combination of factors will determine which squat stance is best for you including whether you use gear, how much gear, and how you’re are built structurally. Basically, this is a long-winded way of saying you need to find out what works for you.