T Nation

Olympic vs. Powerlifting Squats

Just googled olympic squats vs power…

[quote]Hanley wrote:

I woulda said for Oly squats you sit more down than back.
[/quote]

Exactly. Video tape yourself doing an oly squat and a pl squat. You will be sitting further back in the pl squat with your back less upright while your shins will be moreso. The opposite will be true in the oly squat. I bring up the video thing because if you do the first half of the oly squat exactly as you would do the pl squat then you will have a really funky arc as you go past parallel.

-edit- That link above has good explanatory pictures.

[quote]E-man wrote:
There’s a good shirt that says

“Shut the fuck up and squat”

Intensity and consistency are the two biggest factors. Everything else is icing on the cake.[/quote]

THANK YOU!!

To the OP, if you pay attention to nothing else on this thread then please at least listen to the above post.

People worry too much about the small details and forget the big exercises done with balls to the wall is what makes gains.

Not you macronutrient ratios, not your hand position on dumbell raises etc etc.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
E-man wrote:

Intensity and consistency are the two biggest factors. Everything else is icing on the cake.

THANK YOU!!

To the OP, if you pay attention to nothing else on this thread then please at least listen to the above post.

People worry too much about the small details and forget the big exercises done with balls to the wall is what makes gains.

Not you macronutrient ratios, not your hand position on dumbell raises etc etc.[/quote]

You guys are simplifying it way too much. You can use different exercises to address weaknesses and imbalances.

[quote]oboffill wrote:
Hanley wrote:
E-man wrote:

Intensity and consistency are the two biggest factors. Everything else is icing on the cake.

THANK YOU!!

Not you macronutrient ratios, not your hand position on dumbell raises etc etc.

You guys are simplifying it way too much. You can use different exercises to address weaknesses and imbalances.[/quote]

Exactly. I can go do quarter squats with shit form all day, be using the heaviest weight possible and be busting my ass.

Or… I could figure out what form of squat works best for me and my goals, use correct form… and STILL bust my ass as hard as possible.

Which method is going to be more effective? There appears to be this idea out there that thinking and working hard are mutually exclusive.

However, I will DEFINITLY AGREE that intensity and (even more so) consistancy are the keys.

[quote]etaco wrote:
Hanley wrote:

I woulda said for Oly squats you sit more down than back.

Exactly. Video tape yourself doing an oly squat and a pl squat. You will be sitting further back in the pl squat with your back less upright while your shins will be moreso. The opposite will be true in the oly squat. I bring up the video thing because if you do the first half of the oly squat exactly as you would do the pl squat then you will have a really funky arc as you go past parallel.

-edit- That link above has good explanatory pictures.[/quote]

That explains my problem right there. I’m sitting back way too much.