T Nation

Olympic vs. Powerlifting Squats

Have there been any articles written specifically discussing Olympic style squats vs Powerlifting style squats and which has more carry-over to athletics. I know both have their merits and I incorporate both in my training, but is one style superior to the other in its carry-over to the playing field?

I don’t think there have been any articles, but I know there have been many lengthy and sometimes heated discussions. But as always the conclusion is to do both. I don’t think either has a real advantage over the other, but I think that if you are doing other posterior chain exercises, then Olympic squats are good for overall leg balance.

If there is one exercise (for me) that seems to work the entire lower body, it is deep Olympic squats. If you are doing power squats, the quads play a secondary role so you should still do some additional work for the quads (lunges, front squats, etc.), since they do have an important role in running and jumping. But if you periodize between the different types of squats, you will get all the benefits of each.

Oh no, here we go again…

Draw swords, gentlemen!

I squat ATG because I thought it was easier than trying to guess if I was making parrallel.

Still not sure why but Oly squats seem to work the glutes more and power squats the hams more? Power squats obviously work the back more and oly squats the quads more.

As a sprinter I have always oly squatted since back hypers and romanian deads have worked the hams well enough.

[quote]BCpowder wrote:
I don’t think there have been any articles, but I know there have been many lengthy and sometimes heated discussions. But as always the conclusion is to do both. I don’t think either has a real advantage over the other, but I think that if you are doing other posterior chain exercises, then Olympic squats are good for overall leg balance.

If there is one exercise (for me) that seems to work the entire lower body, it is deep Olympic squats. If you are doing power squats, the quads play a secondary role so you should still do some additional work for the quads (lunges, front squats, etc.), since they do have an important role in running and jumping. But if you periodize between the different types of squats, you will get all the benefits of each.[/quote]

Good Post!

Short, sweet and . . . foremost… you covered everything one should know here!!!

If you’re worrying about which is more effective then you need to load up the bar and train harder.

Just find a comfortable stance, bust your ass trying to add weigh, BURY the squats and i can almost guaruntee you it won’t matter which you chose.

It’s not like they’re THAT different a movement when done raw.

Oh and I should also say, people worry about the small details too much!

Full squats/Olympic squats have done a lot more for me when it comes to athletics and sports. Powerlifting squats allowed me to put more weight on the bar but did nothing to help me in the real world.

I know that, quite often, Olympic lifters do not put the same “value” in the back squat as do powerlifters. In other words, many oly-lifters can do big weights on the back squat…but back squatting is really not where its at for them.

Actually, I would have to say that I wouldn’t do both. I’d pick one and stick with it. Both lifts really have a strong technical component to them and I think if you are constantly switching between them, you’ll never be able to load up the same weight as if you focused on one.

Both have been proven to get great results, I squat oly-style because (as someone said earlier) I don’t have to worry about coming high when I go for max weights.

I used to do all my squats as power style squats but nowdays I rarely do them unless I’m testing a max weight at parallel. I find the olympic squats easier on the body and more useful for other stuff I do. My opinion is that if you’re deadlifting regularly then your time and energy is much better spent on the oly squat than the PL style. The oly squats do have a much steeper learning curve though due to the flexibility factor.

i would go with box squats powerlifting style but as you can see, most people are leaning towards the oly squats so both will work. as someone said earlier when i do powersquats, i will use some type of quad movement to balance things out whereas in an oly squat it takes care of itself. the power squats and more specifically, box squats, have transfered greatly for strength, speed, and vert jumping, but i do a lot of oly lifts too. the answer in my opinion is, as long as you are doing one and doing it right, i think you will see the gains you are looking for. at my gym i think i have seen a total of 3 people do squats right, so perfecting technique is where the battle lies.

I like front squats and overhead squats… as deep as possible. Back squats are ok too.

The hell is a Power Squat…i only know two type of squats

Full Squat/Oly Squats- Ass moves first, as if sitting on a toliet, you sit back, squat down to you hit parallel or ATG. Then ascend to your all the way bakc up. Stance is close, medium, or litle bit wider then shoulder width.

Wide Stance powerlifter squat- Feet out real wide, toes point outwards. Hands out wide. When squatting, ass moves first as if sitting on toliet, and you squat to parallel or an inch below. Then ascend back up.

Am I missing something here and I wrong in my descriptions.

[quote]BCpowder wrote:

If there is one exercise (for me) that seems to work the entire lower body, it is deep Olympic squats. If you are doing power squats, the quads play a secondary role so you should still do some additional work for the quads (lunges, front squats, etc.), since they do have an important role in running and jumping. But if you periodize between the different types of squats, you will get all the benefits of each.[/quote]

Exactly. I on the other hand only perform regular squats or variations of for powerlifting. Both are great tools for strength either way you go. Box squats can used for sport specific training as well.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
The hell is a Power Squat…i only know two type of squats

Full Squat/Oly Squats- Ass moves first, as if sitting on a toliet, you sit back, squat down to you hit parallel or ATG. Then ascend to your all the way bakc up. Stance is close, medium, or litle bit wider then shoulder width.

Wide Stance powerlifter squat- Feet out real wide, toes point outwards. Hands out wide. When squatting, ass moves first as if sitting on toliet, and you squat to parallel or an inch below. Then ascend back up.

Am I missing something here and I wrong in my descriptions.[/quote]

I woulda said for Oly squats you sit more down than back.

As for power squats… its a short hand way of refering to powerlifting squats ( the POWER part is a dead give away!)

OHh…well, now I know…and knowing is half the battle.

There’s a good shirt that says

“Shut the fuck up and squat”

Intensity and consistency are the two biggest factors. Everything else is icing on the cake.