T Nation

Olympic/Powerlifting for Hypertrophy Program

As long as i’ve been working out i’ve done high volume bodybuilding routines. I have lots of definition, but i never got a chance to build a good base with power movements to give me the thickness i need. I need a program that will give me size, as well as strength that will allow me to use some oly movements like the power clean, snatch, and front squat. thanx

size comes with calorie intake besides lifting. IF you haven’t already, start eating more per day and drink whole milk if you want to gain size.

You can gain both size and strength on any program, but the extra calories need to be there if you want to gain easily.

Any 5x5 program works good for size and strength. Bill starr’s linear program via madcow would be my pick.

[quote]colossal_saint wrote:
As long as i’ve been working out i’ve done high volume bodybuilding routines. I have lots of definition, but i never got a chance to build a good base with power movements to give me the thickness i need. I need a program that will give me size, as well as strength that will allow me to use some oly movements like the power clean, snatch, and front squat. thanx[/quote]

I agree that you need to eat more…but oly moves don’t come from size or strength as much as they do from technique. I’d say if you want to perfect those moves, practice them and all of their variations.

Heavy weights make you strong. Time under tension makes you bigger. Practice make you better. Eating improves muscle recovery and helps put on mass.

Check out Elite FTS for a specific program.

A) Oly lifts for singles, doubles and triples, 8-10 working sets above 80%
B) Bench/squat/deads
C) Assistance
D) Gunzzzz etc

There’s your program.

give yourself a lot of time to learn the olympic lifts. if you have olympic plates (10-25kgs they are all the same diameter) do the movements with only 40kgs for a long time. i’d say 3 months is the minimum for anyone that hasnt done them before. with say… 2-3 times a week.

Westside is a good place to start. Dedicate ME days for powerlifting and DE days for oly lifting.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Westside is a good place to start. Dedicate ME days for powerlifting and DE days for oly lifting.[/quote]

or Oly lift in the morning and do westside at night.

I snatch then backsquat on monday, and deadlift and clean on thursdays.