Olympic/PL Gym in Montreal, QC?

Here’s one of my 85kg guy’s top snatch (240lbs… sorry for the lbs) from today.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:

What do you mean? I almost never do lifts from the hang myself and almost never with my athletes. I use lifts from the hang only with hockey and football players.[/quote]

You mentioned you block Sn 120kg. I just don’t really recall you mentioning your lifts from the floor often on here.

Koing[/quote]

Well I don’t mention lifts often period :slight_smile: I mentioned the lift from blocks because that was the last thing I did prior to posting and it was fresh in my mind. In reality I almost never do lifts from blocks because I don’t have blocks in my garage (where I do most of my training). I can stack old tires but I can’t drop the bar confidently so I don’t go heavy. I only go from blocks when I train at the Crossfit gym where I coach, which is maybe once a month.

My training template is fairly simple:

DAY 1 - SNATCH

1. Snatch (normally working up to a max or near max double)
  2. Snatch pull variation (right now it’s mostly snatch deadlift to power position) working up to a max or near max double or triple
  3. Back squat I stay fairly conservative for sets of 3 reps
  4. Half back squat from a deadstart (from a 110 degrees knee angle) working up to a max for 6 reps

DAY 2 - CLEAN

1. Clean (working up to a max or near max double)
  2. Clean pull (same as snatch)
  3. Front squat (working up to a max or near max triple)

DAY 3 - JERK

1. Push press (working up to a max or near max triple)
  2. Jerk (working up to a max or near max double)
  3. Half front squat (knee angle 110 degrees) working up to a max or near max for 4 reps
  4. Power snatches 4-5 sets of 3 with about 75%

DAY 4 - OLYMPIC TOTAL

1. Snatch
  2. Clean & jerk

And I have 1 or 2 bodybuilding days.
[/quote]

Gotcha.

Olympic doesn’t need to be complicated once a lifter can actually lift.

Most beginners want a program but what they need to do is spend time learning to do the lifts, squat, pulls and do some conditioning. Job done.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:

What do you mean? I almost never do lifts from the hang myself and almost never with my athletes. I use lifts from the hang only with hockey and football players.[/quote]

You mentioned you block Sn 120kg. I just don’t really recall you mentioning your lifts from the floor often on here.

Koing[/quote]

Well I don’t mention lifts often period :slight_smile: I mentioned the lift from blocks because that was the last thing I did prior to posting and it was fresh in my mind. In reality I almost never do lifts from blocks because I don’t have blocks in my garage (where I do most of my training). I can stack old tires but I can’t drop the bar confidently so I don’t go heavy. I only go from blocks when I train at the Crossfit gym where I coach, which is maybe once a month.

My training template is fairly simple:

DAY 1 - SNATCH

1. Snatch (normally working up to a max or near max double)
  2. Snatch pull variation (right now it’s mostly snatch deadlift to power position) working up to a max or near max double or triple
  3. Back squat I stay fairly conservative for sets of 3 reps
  4. Half back squat from a deadstart (from a 110 degrees knee angle) working up to a max for 6 reps

DAY 2 - CLEAN

1. Clean (working up to a max or near max double)
  2. Clean pull (same as snatch)
  3. Front squat (working up to a max or near max triple)

DAY 3 - JERK

1. Push press (working up to a max or near max triple)
  2. Jerk (working up to a max or near max double)
  3. Half front squat (knee angle 110 degrees) working up to a max or near max for 4 reps
  4. Power snatches 4-5 sets of 3 with about 75%

DAY 4 - OLYMPIC TOTAL

1. Snatch
  2. Clean & jerk

And I have 1 or 2 bodybuilding days.
[/quote]

Gotcha.

Olympic doesn’t need to be complicated once a lifter can actually lift.

Most beginners want a program but what they need to do is spend time learning to do the lifts, squat, pulls and do some conditioning. Job done.

Koing
[/quote]

Agreed… I only use assistance exercises to solve a specific issue. I do not have mandatory exercises except for the lifts themselves.

This is from today’s session… the clean is kinda ugly because I was only doing power cleans and got a bit ambitious and had to go into a clean and wasn’t warmed up to the position.

Agreed… I only use assistance exercises to solve a specific issue. I do not have mandatory exercises except for the lifts themselves.

This is from today’s session… the clean is kinda ugly because I was only doing power cleans and got a bit ambitious and had to go into a clean and wasn’t warmed up to the position.

[/quote]

Nice.

I only prescribe assistance for to work on/ fix specific things. I like to keep training barebones and not put things in just for the hell of it. Granted beginners have a lot going on.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
I only prescribe assistance for to work on/ fix specific things. I like to keep training barebones and not put things in just for the hell of it. Granted beginners have a lot going on.

Koing[/quote]

I agree and to me assistance work to correct a weakness is often a paused lift (pause below knees or above knees, or at upper thigh, or at the bottom of the jerk dip).

I believe that the best assistance lifts are those that allow you to feel the technical correction (or physical focus point) you are working on without needing any coaching cues.