Olympic or Power

So which do u guys like more: olympic lifting or power lifting?

I personally like olympic lifting

i always thought this pic was pretty crazy

I like both. We’re all iron addicts anyway. fav lifts are the snatch and the dl. But I’m training as a PLer.

That is a sick picture!

Koing

All olympic lifters are fat. Oh, wait. I meant to say all powerlifters are fat.

Seriously, I think both are amazing sports (yes, sports).

What driven individuals can do with a barbell is literally staggering to the average citizen (let alone me).

There’s really no use in comparing the two, I think. I do enjoy watching the olympic lifts more. To me it’s got more entertainment value probably due to the much longer ROM of the lift and the “beauty” of a perfectly executed lift.

The powerlifts are just as amazing, but in a more brutal, barbaric nature.

olympic powerlifting would be sweet…

DANG!!! Thats one sick jump!

I like both. And I also like strongman competitions.

I mean all these sports have 1 thing in common:

–LIFTING SOME HEAVY IRON!

[quote]NeoSpartan wrote:
DANG!!! Thats one sick jump!

I like both. And I also like strongman competitions.

I mean all these sports have 1 thing in common:

–LIFTING SOME HEAVY IRON![/quote]

Amen to all of that.

–JB

nice jump

I personally think the powerlifts are more common but the olympic lifts are better liked.
This has to do with the OLs being so technical that it’s nearly impossible to become proficient at them without proper coaching. This doesn’t stop people from trying to do things like power cleans though, even though their form is very ugly.
There seems to be a perception that if you can perform a perfect clean or snatch that you’ll instantly become more explosive, which isn’t really the case. There are tons of ways to achieve a better rate of force production.

[quote]Maldoror wrote:
nice jump[/quote]

that jumping picture was the original picture i was going to post but couldn’t find it. thx man

the only thing about powerlifting is that the physique attained by that is by far much more pleased than an olympic lifters physique. i mean david gulledge cmon - my inspiration for life

this alone makes me want to attain a goal of a well built olympic lifter. hopefully ill b successful

the picture of the asian guy is one of my inspirations. except maybe with a bigger chest

[quote]derek wrote:
All olympic lifters are fat. Oh, wait. I meant to say all powerlifters are fat.

Seriously, I think both are amazing sports (yes, sports).

What driven individuals can do with a barbell is literally staggering to the average citizen (let alone me).

There’s really no use in comparing the two, I think. I do enjoy watching the olympic lifts more. To me it’s got more entertainment value probably due to the much longer ROM of the lift and the “beauty” of a perfectly executed lift.

The powerlifts are just as amazing, but in a more brutal, barbaric nature. [/quote]

Thank you, at least now I know there are people out that there can appreciate both and are not afraid to admit it.

I like both, and train both. There is nothing like warming up for a heavy day of squats with some nice explosive cleans.

I like both but I think the OLY lifts are cooler because they require more technique.

Huge fan of both as well. I have dabbled in OL and still use a few movements in training, but my focus is mre towards PL. OL, PL and strongman are all awesome sports…

This thread seems to be some kind of magical place where people appreciate the hard work that goes into all types of weight training, i didnt think such a place existed anymore.

–JB

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
This thread seems to be some kind of magical place where people appreciate the hard work that goes into all types of weight training, i didnt think such a place existed anymore.

–JB[/quote]

It’s #4 on the top ten signs of the apocalypse. Watch the skies everyone! :slight_smile:

[quote]Maldoror wrote:
nice jump[/quote]

Can someone please explain to me the sequence of events that led to this photo.

Did he jump with weight in hand and then release?

Release it from Snatch position and then jump?

I’m at a lose.

This photo, along with the other jumper, boggles my mind.

[quote]new2training wrote:
Maldoror wrote:
nice jump

I’m at a lose.

This photo, along with the other jumper, boggles my mind.[/quote]

It could’ve been either lift as they both end up overhead.

Those bumper plates bounce like a mutha from way up there. That bar was likely on it’s way back UP after the drop from lockout.

[quote]derek wrote:
new2training wrote:
Maldoror wrote:
nice jump

I’m at a lose.

This photo, along with the other jumper, boggles my mind.

It could’ve been either lift as they both end up overhead.

Those bumper plates bounce like a mutha from way up there. That bar was likely on it’s way back UP after the drop from lockout.[/quote]

Thanks, I wasn’t sure if the bar would bounce that high or not.

Either way the speed and timing required to make that photo amzes me.

the pic of the non fat jumper is Marc Huster a german 85 kg lifter. He just Clean and jerked a world record 213.5 as the board says. He dropped the weight and jumped right away and the pic was taken just after the bar hit the platform. He was known for jumping after big lifts.

the guy flexing his arms is only a 69 kg class lifter (about 150 lbs) I was at that comp and watched him flex on stage. I also saw him train in the training hall a few days before and he is insainly lean!