T Nation

Olympic Lifts with Iron Weights

I really want to start training Olympic lifts. (I’ve never done any of them before)

My gym only has iron weights though. Is it safe to do heavy (relative term) oly lifts with iron weights?

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
I really want to start training Olympic lifts. (I’ve never done any of them before)

My gym only has iron weights though. Is it safe to do heavy (relative term) oly lifts with iron weights?[/quote]

That depends on the ground on which you’re lifting on. Is it a lifting platform ?

If you’re just beginning, you won’t go real heavy any time soon, but you should ask the gym owner if it is allowed.

Yes it’s safe - just don’t go too heavy too fast. Use light weights and focus on technique. It’s much easier to learn proper form the first time around then it is to try and correct sloppy form later on.

I do at my rec center all the time, just dont throw the weights at the floor when your done and no one will probably care.

It’s not very good for the barbell to drop weights from overhead. But it’s ok to drop the bar after you complete a deadlift if the floor is alright. At least that’s what it seems like to me.

But do what you gotta do.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
It’s not very good for the barbell to drop weights from overhead. But it’s ok to drop the bar after you complete a deadlift if the floor is alright. At least that’s what it seems like to me.

But do what you gotta do. [/quote]

Yeah, I wouldn’t drop the bar from shoulder height or above, as if you were doing cleans. But knee or mid thigh should be ok. Then again, I have seen bars bend, cheap bars though. You may want to find out the quality of the bar that has been purchased by your gym.

The floor is made of hard foam mats and the bars are the standard steel ones you see everywhere.

I’ll try them out later today.

and … how did it go?