T Nation

Olympic Lifts With Dumbells

I am going to be training mainly at home for a while due to my job (long hours, lots of commuting) and I am interested in building a workout with the olympic lifts and derivatives of them as the main movements.

I know how to do the lifts but I am not sure exactly how to split them up over the week. Should it be snatches on one day, cleans on another and presses later in the week? Can you do all the lifts at each workout but swithc rep schemes and intensity? I really have no idea what frame to put them in.

I have adjustable d.bells, loads of plates for them and of course barbells.

If anyone could help me to come up with a good split based on then Olympic movements (using d.bells) I would be ver happy.

Thankyou.

I don’t have what you are looking for, but I can tell you this: I fell over after I cleaned a 50 lb dumbell and tried to front squat it. Its hard!!! If I were you, I would do some 1 arm barbell lifts too. Thats all I know.

i’d recommend staying away from doing one arm cleans because of the stress it puts on the wrist at the top of the movement (on the shoulder, so to say)

one arm snatches however should be good unless you’re doing more of a swing type move (instead of bringing the weight straight up), which can jack up your shoulder.

find yourself a barbell if you wanna do cleans and front squats.

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
i’d recommend staying away from doing one arm cleans because of the stress it puts on the wrist at the top of the movement (on the shoulder, so to say) [/quote]
I disagree. I used to do one arm power cleans with a DB and I was using 75 to 80lb DB and my wrist felt fine. Dude if you want to develope a short routine try:
4 day Split
Monday/Thursday
DB Snatch 3x5
DB Clean 3x5
or DB Clean & Press 3x5
Tuesday/Friday
Front Squat 3x5
Press 3x5 or leave out press.
or combos like
Monday/Wednesday/Friday
DB Press 3x5
1 DB Clean & 2 DB Front Squats a rep 3x5
1 DB Snatch & 2 DB Overhead Squats a rep
3x5

[quote]Slim Jim wrote:
CU AeroStallion wrote:
i’d recommend staying away from doing one arm cleans because of the stress it puts on the wrist at the top of the movement (on the shoulder, so to say)
I disagree. I used to do one arm power cleans with a DB and I was using 75 to 80lb DB and my wrist felt fine. Dude if you want to develope a short routine try:
4 day Split
Monday/Thursday
DB Snatch 3x5
DB Clean 3x5
or DB Clean & Press 3x5
Tuesday/Friday
Front Squat 3x5
Press 3x5 or leave out press.
or combos like
Monday/Wednesday/Friday
DB Press 3x5
1 DB Clean & 2 DB Front Squats a rep 3x5
1 DB Snatch & 2 DB Overhead Squats a rep
3x5
[/quote]

Good for you and your wrists! The opportunity to jack your wrists up is still there regardless though. It’s a risk vs rewards type of thing.

Same with benching and shoulder health, squatting big and knee/back safety, getting an office job and sitting around all day hunched over at a computer and giving yourself spinobifida, the list goes on… The point is: avoiding injury is a good idea, just be reasonable with what you do.

Thats looks great, thanks.

In regards to wrist pain I can’t say that it has ever been an issue for me when I did theswe lifts before.

I was using a 90lb dumbell for cleans (one at a time and for singles with LONG rest periods) and my wrists where ok. The only pain I have ever had was when I did d.bell clean and press with two at a time and started to get wicked pains behind my knee caps. Not nice.

If I wanted to include swing would that be good to do on the same day as snatches as they are kind of similar?

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
Good for you and your wrists! The opportunity to jack your wrists up is still there regardless though. It’s a risk vs rewards type of thing.
[/quote]
I understand your point. I do Below Parallel Squats without knee wraps or nyoprene knee supports and I do not feel any stress or discomfort on my knees. Some people will not do Below Parallel Squats at all because there is a risk of causing damage/discomfort to the knees. I personally feel stress on my knees doing parallel squats and it is not because of incorrect technique. I would recommend that some lifters wear wrist wraps when using heavy DB.

One arm snatch and overhead squats with dumbbells are exercises to put hair on your chest.

[quote]oboffill wrote:
One arm snatch and overhead squats with dumbbells are exercises to put hair on your chest. [/quote]
One arm DB Snatches are Da Bomb!

[quote]oboffill wrote:
One arm snatch and overhead squats with dumbbells are exercises to put hair on your chest. [/quote]

OH squats with dumbbells will make you a beast. talk about stability or ‘functional training’ holy shit.

[quote]Slim Jim wrote:
oboffill wrote:
One arm snatch and overhead squats with dumbbells are exercises to put hair on your chest.

One arm DB Snatches are Da Bomb!

[/quote]

No question. They make your dick bigger, it’s a proven fact.

If they make your dick bigger I had better not do any. I dont have the money to buy a whole new wardrobe of trousers!

Thanks for the warning.

For the OP…Dan John outlined an Olympic Lift version of his “One Lift a Day” program. That may be a good jumping off point for your home workout split and you can probably tweek the program to use your DB’s. Not sure where to find it though, maybe in the OLAD support group thread…