Olympic Lifts w/o Drops

How can I train olympic movements without a ground in which I can drop the bar? And disks prepared to do the same?

I managed to do power cleans and power snatches for a couple of years without ever dropping the bar because it wasn’t an option where I trained. A controlled drop to the thighs when missing a lift worked fine. For push presses and jerks just drop the bar into the rack position and rack it.

Guess it depends on your goals but if you stick to doing the power variations my experience is you can get away with it and make good progress.

[quote]tamaral wrote:
How can I train olympic movements without a ground in which I can drop the bar? And disks prepared to do the same?[/quote]

Prior to the 70s they didn’t have bumper plates and lowered the bar down to the platform instead of dropping it. What this old school video for several examples… start it around 4:00 minutes in.

1 Like

You will not be able to go as heavy BUT it will build more precision and more muscle because lowering the bar under control requires more effort. It will also strengthen the hands more.

1 Like