olympic lifts(power style)

Thanks for sticking up for me Christian. As you know a 150kg power clean seems like a lot to an unknowing bodybuilder but for someone like myself who’s been O-lifting for over a decade its really only about average, maybe even less than mediocre. I weighed between 215 and 220lbs when I did it.

You did 150kgs. in high school? Thats awesome for a high schooler! Do you remember what you weighed, was that a power clean or a full squat clean, and is that your all-time best?

I weighed 245 at the time i believe and it was a power clean and not a squat clean. That was my best single. Later that year i did do 305lbs. for four easy reps. I cleaned 225 for three reps when i was 15. Power Clean was always my best lift. In comparison my squat was 415 for 5 and my bench around 315 at the time. Its funny but the other day our baseball team here at school was maxing on power cleans. in addition to terrible technique the weights were very light. I had just got done doing sets of stiff leg dead lifts. i only broke the bar down to 225 and then bent over with straight legs and cleaned it after i had just busted a nut on the deads. the 225 was more than all of the baseball players had done. they all looked at me in disgust. it was quite hilarious.

I have two friends who train and compete in the Olympic lifts. One guy competes in the 69kg class and snatches 110-115kg and cleans 140-145kg in competition. My other friend competes in the 105+kg (he’s weighing about 240lb now) and he snatches 120-130kg and clean and jerks 160-170kg.

Nate and I have the same friends, and those weights are correct. I’ve power snatched 120kg from the hang as well, at a BW of about 215.

Thanks guys, one of the things I enjoyed about doing OL and hybrids was that hardly anyone does them and therefore I didn’t look like such a pussy compared to others bench, squat and dead poundages. This post has ruined that! I will have to use the following excuses, concentrating on bar speed and renegade rope work and swings first. Yours felinely Hyphnz.

I’ve just started teaching myself snatches.
Stopping the acceleration at the top of the movement is amusing, just how oftn do I get to fall over backwards before I get it right

Then again, if I don’t accelerate enough I end up doing a power press on my knees…

Don’t feel bad, I just started Renegade Training again. I did hang snatches with a 45lb barbell yesterday for three sets of five with an overhead squat. Obviously, I’m supposed to be using a light weight during Renegade Training (typically 50-60 percent of your max), but it still kicked my butt as I haven’t done any O-lifts in a while. So I’m still trying to relearn the movements, but I sure thought the 45lb barbell would have felt lighter, but I guess those short rest periods don’t help either!

Nate, I wasn’t sweating it. Heck if all the stronger people I saw or read about put me off, I’d never walk in the gym. Glad to see you’re back on the Renegade path, it rocks. Once youre back into the OL a bit you’ll have to do 1 arm barbell snatches and the Bear, they rock!

I hear you on that one bro! There are plenty of strong mofos out there. But forgetaboutit! I’m doing what works for me! Yeah, I’ll think about giving those one-arm barbell snatches a try along with the Bear complex in the future, my man! Let me get used to the Renegade stuff for a while, and then I’ll be good to go. I’m hurting today, but I feel good!