Olympic Lifts in 'How I Added 100 Pounds to My Deadlift' Template

How can I add the hang clean or power clean in your new four days routine?

1. it’s not a routine, it’s a template

2. This has already been answered in the “Carbs cycling” thread:

MONDAY - BENCH PRESS

Activation: Bench press with hanging KBs 3 sets of 5 with moderate weight

A. Bench press
Work uo to a technically solid 2RM
Lower weight by 20-30lbs and perform 2 reps EMOM for 10 minutes

B. Close-grip bench press
4 sets of 4 to 6

C. DB bench press
4 sets of 6 to 8

D1. Cable cross-over
3 x 8-10 reps

D2. Dips (no weight)
3 x max reps

D3. Push ups
3 x max reps

(D1 to D3 are a giant set)

E. Triceps work

TUESDAY - SQUAT

Activation: Back squat either with hanging KBs or hip circle around knees 3 sets of 5 moderate weight

A. Back squat
Ramp to a technical solid 2RM

B. Power clean + Front squat
4 sets of 2 power cleans + max reps front squats

C. Farmer’s walk
5 sets of 20-40m

D1. Leg extension
3 x 12-15 with 2 seconds squeeze at top

D2. Leg press / hack squat
3 x 10-12
(D1 and D2 are a superset)

E. Biceps work

THURSDAY - OVERHEAD WORK

Activation: Military press with hanging KBs 3 sets of 5 with moderate weight

A. Power clean + Push press
Work uo to a technically solid 2RM (clean, press, clean, press)

B. Power clean from hang + Military press
4 sets of 3+3 (clean, press, clean, press, clean, press)

C. High incline DB press
4 sets of 6 to 8

D1. DB lateral raise
3 x 8-10 reps

D2. DB front raise
3 x 8-10 reps

D3. DB Arnold press
3 x 8-10 reps

(D1 to D3 are a mechanical drop set and use the same weight)

E. Triceps work

SATURDAY - DEADLIFT

Activation: KB swings 3 x 10, hardstyle

A. Power clean
Ramp to a technical solid 2RM

B. Deadlift
4 sets of 3 reps

C. SGHP from the hang or blocks
4 sets of 5 reps

D. Pull ups
4 sets of 6-8 reps

E1. Seated rows
3 sets of 8-10 with 2 seconds hold

E2. Face pull or band-pull apart
3 sets of 12-15 reps
(E1 and E2 being a superset)

NOTE: in this program I changed the order of both pressing sessions to avoid have the power clean done 2 days in a row without rest.

3 Likes

Hi Thib, one question about this program (or other different based on the template), how often would you change the accessory exercises? (the ones who emphasize weaknesses), and how often would you change the intensity of the main lifts? For example weeks 1-4 Ramping up to 5RM, weeks 5-8 ramp to 3RM… and so on. Just a little of advice to get the idea would be really appreciate!

Thank you!

The ASSISTANCE exercises (2nd and 3rd exercices) should be kept for at least 3 weeks, ideally 4 and can be kept for as long as 6 weeks.

The ACCESSORY exercises (bodybuilding work at the end) can be changed every week.

I personally stick to the same loading scheme/method for the main lift for 3 weeks.

For example recently I did:

WEEKS 1-3: 1 x 5, 1 x 4, 1 x 3, 1 x 2, 1 x 1
WEEKS 4-6: Ramping to 3RM
WEEKS 7-9 (currently): Ramping to 2RM, then lower by 20-30lbs and do 2 reps EMOM for 10 minutes
WEEKS 10-12: Contrast set - first rep with about 90%, then lower by 40lbs and do max reps (in the same set) for 4 sets

Hey CT,

When you ramp up to an RM or go for the heavy single (week 1-3) do you generally go by feel for that day? I’d assume the goal is to best the previous number, but I understand some days you can feel strong and others you might be off. Just looking for a little context. Appreciate all the work you do on the site and the support for the community here.

CT, when you do triceps work at the end of push days, are you talking 3x8 skullcrushers, or something easier like pushdowns? Especially on bench day, triceps are hit hard with CG and max dips. I dislike extra arm work, but would like guidance on the best exercises to use.

My mentality is this: your body has a limited capacity to adapt. You do not need to do additional work for a muscle that is receiving enough stimulation with the main work. If your triceps are getting enough to grow from the pressing work it is better to spend the assistance work on a muscle that needs more attention.

@CT what do you think of the tsunami bar or bamboo bar for the activation lift?

Hey Christian,

What kind of accumulation intensification periodization would you use with double progressions?

It’s first time I use after reading you. And I started 5 x 3-5 for 3 weeks. For instance in legs I follow such structure:

A. Lying leg curl, 3 x 4-6 double progression
B. Squat, 5 x 3-5 double progression
C. Front Squat, 3 x 6-8 double progression
D. Front foot elevated split squat, 3 x 6-8 double progression
Some isolation exercises like extensions, 45 hyper, depending on the day to 10-12 reps.

I used to do something like that for main lifts for 3 weeks.

6 x 2-4

But I’m not sure how to progress next phase. And as far as the secondary lifts, is it primary use double progression as well?

I got asked that question at a seminar yesterday.

I do use the hanging band (adding hanging weights to the bar) technique quite a bit. In fact during a 4 weeks phase all my overhead press, bench press and squats were done with them both to tighten up my form and to improve stabilization. Now I use it for activation.

I really like it for the micro-oscillation effect BUT I do not like the bamboo/Earthquake bar. That is macro-oscillation… IMHO (and other coaches might have a different opinion) the swing is just too much. You can’t produce any strength and the movement becomes completely different, recruitment-wise, to the main lift. So I see very little in the way of transferable improvements and I do not believe that it will be superior to the HBT to improve muscle recruitment, activation and stabilization.

The thing is that you must give time to double progression to work. So you can’t reallyplan in advance how long you will stick to each scheme. I recommend sticking to the same zone until you can add weight in 3 workouts for the same lift.

|For example let’s say that you decide to do 4 sets of 3-5 reps.

Week one you use 300lbs and you get 5, 5, 4, 4
Week two you use 300lbs and you get 5, 5, ,5 ,5 (so you can add weigth… that’s ONE)
Week three you use 310lbs and you get 5, 4, 4, 3
Week 4 you use 310lbs and you get 5, 5, 5, 4
Week 5 you use 310lbs and get 5, 5, 5, 5 (so you can add weight… that’s TWO)
Week 6 you use 320lbs and get 5, 5, 5, 4
Week 7 you use 320lbs and get 5, 5, 5, 5 (so you would be allowed to add weight… that’s THREE so you can move on to another zone)

Now two things can happen… either you were very coinservative with the weights you used and you will be able to add weight for 3 straight workouts OR like in the example above you were very aggressive and it took you a long time to reach 3 workouts that you “complete”… both works but in any regard I would recommend sticking to the same zone for at leadt 4 weeks. So even if you add weight for 3 workouts/week in a row, use the same zone for a fourth week.

If it takes you longer to be able to “complete” (get all of your work sets with the upper rep limit of the zone) then wait untiul you did so.

As far as schemes it depends.

In my experience, double progression doesn’t work well for anything above 8.

If you do not have a competition nearby I would recommend a non-linear progression:

Step 1: sets of 6-8
Step 2: sets of 4-6
Step 3: sets of 6-8
Step 4: sets of 2-4
Step 5: sets of 4-6
Step 6: sets of 1-2

If you have a competition in sight it might be better to use more of a linear approach

Step 1: sets of 4-6
Step 2: sets of 2-4
Step 3: sets of 1-2

The first option will be best to build muscle and strength

CT, are EMOM sets best with 75-80% for all sets? I did 10x2 front squats Sunday and am still sore.

Hi Christian,

Could sprints of 30-60 meters with full recovery be used as activation for squat or deadlift day?

60m is too long. I find that non-sprinters and especially people with some hip flexor tightness are at right of pulling a hamstring when going all out for 50-60m. Furthermore an all-out 60m sprint is VERY demanding on the nervous system. When I was training track with an elite level athlete and coach we would do 4 or 5 60m sprints in a session and we would have as much as 10 minutes between sets.

60m sprints will likely ha ve a negative effect on performance and work capacity. 20-30m should be fine but no more than 2 or 3 sprints.

I use 75-85% for sets of 2 or 3 reps myself. Normally for 10 minutes. So you are in the right zone.

Thanks Coach! Makes sense