T Nation

Olympic Lifts in Get Huge in a Hurry?

For phase three workout A, it prescribes power cleans. I am in no way trained or prepared to this this. In phase I it prescribed some high pulls, but I have trouble timing my hip extension and the second pull. Should I just do the powercleans or replace it with some other variation?

Ideas?

I cannot perform the hang clean with any proficiency either. This exercise seems to be a huge flaw in his program design.

The power clean is tough movement to learn because it’s so quick and so complex. I’ve been working on them for a few months and still don’t have it down solid, but I get a little better at it each time. My advice would be to start light and practice practice practice.

[quote]PrISM wrote:
The power clean is tough movement to learn because it’s so quick and so complex. I’ve been working on them for a few months and still don’t have it down solid, but I get a little better at it each time. My advice would be to start light and practice practice practice.[/quote]

Then what should I replace the powerclean exercise for my workout with? any ideas? perhaps jump shrugs?

[quote]Mondy wrote:
PrISM wrote:
The power clean is tough movement to learn because it’s so quick and so complex. I’ve been working on them for a few months and still don’t have it down solid, but I get a little better at it each time. My advice would be to start light and practice practice practice.

Then what should I replace the powerclean exercise for my workout with? any ideas? perhaps jump shrugs?[/quote]

You should just remember that the power clean is in there for a reason and replacing it wouldn’t be wise just because you’re having some difficulty learning it…

Unfortuantley, the power clean is a difficult movement to learn, therefore people don’t want to do it(iI include myself if that generalisation).
But even more inconvenient is that it’s a great exercise and everybody should take the time learn it.(Bill Starr said in his book Only the Strong Shall Survive that if you only had one exercise in your programme, the power clean should be it).

Don’t give up man, take PrISM’s advice, keep the weight low and practice, it will pay off dividends and you certainly won’t regret taking the time to learn it.
I’m also having some difficulty learning the movement(especially getting the stomp simultaneous with the catch) but I never stop hearing about the value of it.

[quote]Mondy wrote:

Then what should I replace the powerclean exercise for my workout with? any ideas? perhaps jump shrugs?[/quote]

i’m doing the same book, although you are many weeks ahead of me. my plan of attack includes DB work to supplement if i get to some of the new lifts (new for me) and can’t challenge poundage due to learning a new skill.

just goofing around i have been able to do cleans and snatches etc with dumbells.

so consider pounding out the volume with DBs and use the warm-up phase or come in on days off - or conditioning days - and do just that activity for skills so you can have fun. the brain works better that way

How do you expect ever to learn it if you don’t attempt to? Do you expect one day to wake up and say “Hey I’m an expert at power cleans … thank God I had that dream last night!” You’re not going to get good at anything by NOT doing it (unless you’re trying to get good at not doing something, in that case you’re right on track).

[quote]polo77j wrote:
How do you expect ever to learn it if you don’t attempt to? Do you expect one day to wake up and say “Hey I’m an expert at power cleans … thank God I had that dream last night!” You’re not going to get good at anything by NOT doing it (unless you’re trying to get good at not doing something, in that case you’re right on track).[/quote]

Olympic lifts are one of the most technical lifts there is. I understand that it takes time and lots of practice to be proficient at it. But the problem is, in my phase 3 workout, it PRESCRIBES CLEANS and I was wondering if I should just go for it or somehow replace it with something else. I have been Get Huge in a Hurry by the book and in phase One it prescribes high pulls which I had trouble mastering. So it’s not like I wont put the effort to learn it, but rather should I do it since it is prescribed in phase 3, which starts next week.

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
Mondy wrote:
PrISM wrote:

Then what should I replace the powerclean exercise for my workout with? any ideas? perhaps jump shrugs?

You should just remember that the power clean is in there for a reason and replacing it wouldn’t be wise just because you’re having some difficulty learning it…

Unfortuantley, the power clean is a difficult movement to learn, therefore people don’t want to do it(iI include myself if that generalisation).
But even more inconvenient is that it’s a great exercise and everybody should take the time learn it.(Bill Starr said in his book Only the Strong Shall Survive that if you only had one exercise in your programme, the power clean should be it).

Don’t give up man, take PrISM’s advice, keep the weight low and practice, it will pay off dividends and you certainly won’t regret taking the time to learn it.
I’m also having some difficulty learning the movement(especially getting the stomp simultaneous with the catch) but I never stop hearing about the value of it.[/quote]

So what do you suggest I do with the power cleans prescribed for the next phase that starts next week? Practice with light weight and perhaps do some other form of back exercise?

It is a very compund exercise, weight won’t progress on the power clean as fast as the deadlift or squat, but it will progress fast once you get the form right…

I’ve been practicing a few sets with a 45lb bar for a few minutes most days and it’s working a treat.
Don’t worry about your back lagging behind like that, the power cleans is best at developing power, so once you get the form right the weight will catch up fairly fast…

I’d recommend doing them as prescribed but maybe 50-65% of your 1RM for your worksets and your form should develop pretty well if you really concentrate on it. The weight won’t be long catching up

Just my 2 cents

I’ll search up some tommy kono lecture vids on youtube and practice/film myself… hopefully I’ll be fine

dude, just check some good vids on the internet and do it.

The idea behind them is that they are fast and as such your weight is less important. For now just hink of it as an explosive deadlift and catch it on your shoulders.

Basically it’s just a high pull where you catch it at the end. easy. Just pull, pull, pull, catch.

It doesn’t have to be O-lift quality. Just get the bar to your shoulders from the ground quickly and while keeping your back straight.

stay fast sir,

-chris

In ‘Starting Strength’ Rippletoe gives a detailed run-down on how to power clean. Some of his key tips are-

-Keeping the bar very close to your body on the way up, preferably brushing the thighs and chest
-Pretending their are targets in directly in front of your arms and trying to hit them as fast as you can when you perform the catch
-To remember to keep upright and stomp in a similar foot position to that which you started from

I know the stuff but putting it all together is very hard, i’ve been trying it 8 weeks and it still frustrates me a ridicilious amount, i like the idea of thinking of it as a high pull with a catch though, bar the fact that takes the jump and stomp out of thought proccess.