T Nation

Olympic Lifts for Mass

[quote]LBramble wrote:
olympic lifting seems to have given Lu Xiaojun a “decent” physique
[/quote]
He does bodybuilding exercises, juices, and has top genetics for weight lifting. I’m not saying O lifts can’t help someone obtain a decent build but it’s far from ideal.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]LBramble wrote:
olympic lifting seems to have given Lu Xiaojun a “decent” physique
[/quote]
He does bodybuilding exercises, juices, and has top genetics for weight lifting. I’m not saying O lifts can’t help someone obtain a decent build but it’s far from ideal.[/quote]

That depends if you want to simply look like you can lift a lot of weight, or if you want to actually be able to lift a lot of weight. I mean Ilin looks like your average stocky guy at 205…until he starts throwing more than 500 lbs over his head regularly. “ideally” i’d rather be able to put two and a half times my bodyweight over my head.

[quote]ishinator wrote:
First off awesome physique Koing.

I’ve been dabbling in weightlifting and I noticed increased mass in my legs, back, and traps. It also makes me ravenous so I’ve been eating quite a bit.

Oddly enough, I see no difference whatsoever in my shoulders. I don’t do any presses/push presses, but I’m adding in some light P.B.N Sn. grip weekly.
[/quote]

It’ll take longer to build out your shoulders if you only do OLifts. My shoulders have gotten rounder from more MP and lateral raisers but they had a base from doing loads of lifting. Granted if I spent 14yrs BB my physique would probably be better but I’d have worser legs as I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have spent 1/100th of the time hammering them like I do lol.

Koing

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
That’s impressive as hell. Why the change in emphasis?[/quote]

Cheers buddy.

I couldn’t get my bw past 93kg due work related issues. It just dropped to 91kg and I thought, f0ck it. I’ll actually diet and lean down for once in my life. I’ve been affectively bulking for 14yrs :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m still lifting though man. Everyone keeps asking me if I’m still lifting LOL.

Koing

[quote]Regev19978 wrote:
Could I get more comments about the topic or the program I designed (wrote it in one of my comments here)?[/quote]

If you can’t drop weights on the floor, yes just do pulls. Do light bar work as I think it’s good to learn the lifts :stuck_out_tongue: but if you can’t be bothered then just do pulls.

I’d cycle your reps. Say do 4-6 weeks of 5reps then switch to heavier 3’s for 4-6 then switch back.

I’d always do the OLift and squats first in a session.

A:
C&J-thought on working up for a triple or even not to do them and focus on the PP
Push press 3X5
Squat 3X5
pullup 3X5
dips/some sort of benching 3X5
Snatch grip high pulls 3X5

Turns to
A:
C&J-thought on working up for a triple or even not to do them and focus on the PP
Squat 5X5
Push press 3X5
pullup 3X5

B
Push press/klokov press 3X5
deadlift 1X5/2X3
row variation 3X5-8
Front squat 3X5/5X3

Changes to

Front squat 3X5/5X3
deadlift 1X5/2X3
row variation 3X5-8

Lu does dips with 75-100kg for reps LOL

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]Regev19978 wrote:
Could I get more comments about the topic or the program I designed (wrote it in one of my comments here)?[/quote]

If you can’t drop weights on the floor, yes just do pulls. Do light bar work as I think it’s good to learn the lifts :stuck_out_tongue: but if you can’t be bothered then just do pulls.

I’d cycle your reps. Say do 4-6 weeks of 5reps then switch to heavier 3’s for 4-6 then switch back.

A:
Push press 3X5
Squat 3X5
pullup 3X5

Turns to
A:
Squat 5X5
Push press 3X5
pullup 3X5

B
deadlift 1X5/2X3
row variation 3X5-8
Front squat 3X5/5X3

Changes to

Front squat 3X5/5X3
deadlift 1X5/2X3
row variation 3X5-8

Koing[/quote]
Looks awesome! Just one thing, shouldn’t I focus harder on the deadlift and do the SGHP later in the workout?
I also do a 1-3 sets of higher reps face pulls or laterals after the main exercises, I don’t think it’ll interfere…

Guess it’s because of the activatory effect of the o-lifts:) Try deadlifting with the activated state after some high pulling and it feels like heaven all over!

[quote]pereczja wrote:
Guess it’s because of the activatory effect of the o-lifts:) Try deadlifting with the activated state after some high pulling and it feels like heaven all over![/quote]
Sounds good, I’ll try as he said for a while

[quote]Regev19978 wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]Regev19978 wrote:

A:
Push press 3X5
Squat 3X5
pullup 3X5

Turns to
A:
Squat 5X5
Push press 3X5
pullup 3X5

B
deadlift 1X5/2X3
row variation 3X5-8
Front squat 3X5/5X3

Changes to

Front squat 3X5/5X3
deadlift 1X5/2X3
row variation 3X5-8

Koing[/quote]
Looks awesome! Just one thing, shouldn’t I focus harder on the deadlift and do the SGHP later in the workout?
I also do a 1-3 sets of higher reps face pulls or laterals after the main exercises, I don’t think it’ll interfere… [/quote]

The SGHP loads won’t interfere with your DL work. It’ll be a good warm up :slight_smile:

Face pulls are fine. Good to sort the imbalance of people doing too much BP work.

Koing