T Nation

Olympic Lifts for Mass

First off awesome physique Koing.

I’ve been dabbling in weightlifting and I noticed increased mass in my legs, back, and traps. It also makes me ravenous so I’ve been eating quite a bit.

Oddly enough, I see no difference whatsoever in my shoulders. I don’t do any presses/push presses, but I’m adding in some light P.B.N Sn. grip weekly.

Apti Aukhadow

More Lu

Li hongli with biceps like a gymnast

Zhang Jie

Enough for today

[quote]Koing wrote:
Eat for MASS.

OLifts will build legs, back, traps, shoulders and a strong trunk.

Your strength and diet will determine how big you are.

Your diet will determine how lean you are.

I’ve done very little bb in the past 14yrs. The first 3yrs I did some strength work as I was a complete n00b and the last 11yrs has been pretty much just Snatches, CJ, loads of squats, 2011-2013 just front squats, ditched back squats, some pulls, lots of trunk work, some power versions but not that often. I use to do wide grip pull ups once a week for a max set. 20reps at 102kg isn’t bad. I’ve done more BB in the past 28 weeks during my diet.

Koing[/quote]
Koing, you seems very knowledgeable, how do you suggesting me to incorporate them in my routine? I planning a 3 times a week FBW and I can’t really drop the weight on the floor so I can’t do full snotches and I thought of doing high pulls as I said above.
For the reps I guess it doesn’t matter much if done for triple or 5’s but what’s your opinion?
That the routine I planned:
A:
C&J-thought on working up for a triple or even not to do them and focus on the PP
Push press 3X5
Squat 3X5
pullup 3X5
dips/some sort of benching 3X5
Snatch grip high pulls 3X5

B: done once a week:
Push press/klokov press 3X5
deadlift 1X5/2X3
row variation 3X5-8
Front squat 3X5/5X3

What are you thinking?

Damn Koing yuou are fucking monster.

It’s kind of semantics, but pulls and presses aren’t o-lifts, they’re accessory lifts.

People are quick to point out the physiques of some Russian and Chinese lifters (Dmitry Klokov, Lu Xiaojun) as examples of weightlifting building physiques, but the Russians and Chinese are known for using a lot of assistance and supplementary exercises, which is probably why they tend to be more muscular than countries who focus their training almost exclusively on the competition lifts and front squats. Be wary of the difference in training to perform like an elite athlete and training to look like an elite athlete (though there is some carryover).

Um, yeah, the plates in those pictures of Lu Xiaojun are real, those are from the training hall at worlds this year, where he set world records in the snatch and total hitting 176+204=380 as a 77.

I think CT has been incorporating some o-lifts and their derivatives into his recommendations lately, have you done any reading over in his forum?

[quote]Koing wrote:
Eat for MASS.

OLifts will build legs, back, traps, shoulders and a strong trunk.

Your strength and diet will determine how big you are.

Your diet will determine how lean you are.

I’ve done very little bb in the past 14yrs. The first 3yrs I did some strength work as I was a complete n00b and the last 11yrs has been pretty much just Snatches, CJ, loads of squats, 2011-2013 just front squats, ditched back squats, some pulls, lots of trunk work, some power versions but not that often. I use to do wide grip pull ups once a week for a max set. 20reps at 102kg isn’t bad. I’ve done more BB in the past 28 weeks during my diet.

Koing[/quote]
That’s impressive as hell. Why the change in emphasis?

Could I get more comments about the topic or the program I designed (wrote it in one of my comments here)?

[quote]LBramble wrote:
olympic lifting seems to have given Lu Xiaojun a “decent” physique
[/quote]
He does bodybuilding exercises, juices, and has top genetics for weight lifting. I’m not saying O lifts can’t help someone obtain a decent build but it’s far from ideal.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]LBramble wrote:
olympic lifting seems to have given Lu Xiaojun a “decent” physique
[/quote]
He does bodybuilding exercises, juices, and has top genetics for weight lifting. I’m not saying O lifts can’t help someone obtain a decent build but it’s far from ideal.[/quote]

That depends if you want to simply look like you can lift a lot of weight, or if you want to actually be able to lift a lot of weight. I mean Ilin looks like your average stocky guy at 205…until he starts throwing more than 500 lbs over his head regularly. “ideally” i’d rather be able to put two and a half times my bodyweight over my head.

[quote]ishinator wrote:
First off awesome physique Koing.

I’ve been dabbling in weightlifting and I noticed increased mass in my legs, back, and traps. It also makes me ravenous so I’ve been eating quite a bit.

Oddly enough, I see no difference whatsoever in my shoulders. I don’t do any presses/push presses, but I’m adding in some light P.B.N Sn. grip weekly.
[/quote]

It’ll take longer to build out your shoulders if you only do OLifts. My shoulders have gotten rounder from more MP and lateral raisers but they had a base from doing loads of lifting. Granted if I spent 14yrs BB my physique would probably be better but I’d have worser legs as I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have spent 1/100th of the time hammering them like I do lol.

Koing

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
That’s impressive as hell. Why the change in emphasis?[/quote]

Cheers buddy.

I couldn’t get my bw past 93kg due work related issues. It just dropped to 91kg and I thought, f0ck it. I’ll actually diet and lean down for once in my life. I’ve been affectively bulking for 14yrs :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m still lifting though man. Everyone keeps asking me if I’m still lifting LOL.

Koing

[quote]Regev19978 wrote:
Could I get more comments about the topic or the program I designed (wrote it in one of my comments here)?[/quote]

If you can’t drop weights on the floor, yes just do pulls. Do light bar work as I think it’s good to learn the lifts :stuck_out_tongue: but if you can’t be bothered then just do pulls.

I’d cycle your reps. Say do 4-6 weeks of 5reps then switch to heavier 3’s for 4-6 then switch back.

I’d always do the OLift and squats first in a session.

A:
C&J-thought on working up for a triple or even not to do them and focus on the PP
Push press 3X5
Squat 3X5
pullup 3X5

Turns to
A:
Squat 5X5
Push press 3X5
pullup 3X5

B
deadlift 1X5/2X3
row variation 3X5-8
Front squat 3X5/5X3

Changes to

Front squat 3X5/5X3
deadlift 1X5/2X3
row variation 3X5-8

Lu does dips with 75-100kg for reps LOL

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]Regev19978 wrote:
Could I get more comments about the topic or the program I designed (wrote it in one of my comments here)?[/quote]

If you can’t drop weights on the floor, yes just do pulls. Do light bar work as I think it’s good to learn the lifts :stuck_out_tongue: but if you can’t be bothered then just do pulls.

I’d cycle your reps. Say do 4-6 weeks of 5reps then switch to heavier 3’s for 4-6 then switch back.

A:
Push press 3X5
Squat 3X5
pullup 3X5

Turns to
A:
Squat 5X5
Push press 3X5
pullup 3X5

B
deadlift 1X5/2X3
row variation 3X5-8
Front squat 3X5/5X3

Changes to

Front squat 3X5/5X3
deadlift 1X5/2X3
row variation 3X5-8

Koing[/quote]
Looks awesome! Just one thing, shouldn’t I focus harder on the deadlift and do the SGHP later in the workout?
I also do a 1-3 sets of higher reps face pulls or laterals after the main exercises, I don’t think it’ll interfere…

Guess it’s because of the activatory effect of the o-lifts:) Try deadlifting with the activated state after some high pulling and it feels like heaven all over!

[quote]pereczja wrote:
Guess it’s because of the activatory effect of the o-lifts:) Try deadlifting with the activated state after some high pulling and it feels like heaven all over![/quote]
Sounds good, I’ll try as he said for a while

[quote]Regev19978 wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]Regev19978 wrote:

A:
Push press 3X5
Squat 3X5
pullup 3X5

Turns to
A:
Squat 5X5
Push press 3X5
pullup 3X5

B
deadlift 1X5/2X3
row variation 3X5-8
Front squat 3X5/5X3

Changes to

Front squat 3X5/5X3
deadlift 1X5/2X3
row variation 3X5-8

Koing[/quote]
Looks awesome! Just one thing, shouldn’t I focus harder on the deadlift and do the SGHP later in the workout?
I also do a 1-3 sets of higher reps face pulls or laterals after the main exercises, I don’t think it’ll interfere… [/quote]

The SGHP loads won’t interfere with your DL work. It’ll be a good warm up :slight_smile:

Face pulls are fine. Good to sort the imbalance of people doing too much BP work.

Koing