Olympic Lifts/Complexes and Layer System

Hey CT, I know you’re into olympic lifts and used to coach complexes into your programs and I was curious if they could be included in the layer system. Not as a main lift or anything, but maybe as a assistance/secondary type workout? Or even do two a days with one layer session and then another session focusing on olympic lifts perhaps?

I’m not incredibly experienced with the oly lifts, but I enjoy them and want to get better while staying on the incredibly productive layer system and figured you would know the best way to accomplish this. Thank you for any feedback!

[quote]Floodzone004 wrote:
Hey CT, I know you’re into olympic lifts and used to coach complexes into your programs and I was curious if they could be included in the layer system. Not as a main lift or anything, but maybe as a assistance/secondary type workout? Or even do two a days with one layer session and then another session focusing on olympic lifts perhaps?

I’m not incredibly experienced with the oly lifts, but I enjoy them and want to get better while staying on the incredibly productive layer system and figured you would know the best way to accomplish this. Thank you for any feedback![/quote]

Here is a layer workout that can be done using complexes:

LAYER 1
Main lift ramp to 1, 2 or 3RM

LAYER 2
Main lift
5 x 3 @ 65% (one set every 30 seconds)
5 x 2 with 10-20lbs more (one set every 30 sec)
5 x 1 with 10-20lbs more (one set every 30 sec)

LAYER 3
Barbell complex
2-3 sets

Here are some of the complexes that I use:

1. The Bear (1 power clean, 1 front squat, 1 thruster/push press, 1 back squat, 1 BTN thruster/push press)
    Strength & power: 70-80% of push press for 1 or 2 reps
    Hypertrophy: 50-70% of push press for 2-3 reps
    Metabolic conditioning: 40-60% of push press for 4-7 reps

2. Super Bear (1 squat clean, 1 thruster/push press, 1 back squat, 1 snatch push press, 1 overhead squat)

3. Klokov complex (1 deadlift, 1 clean, 1 paused front squat, 1 push press, 1 split jerk)

4. Klokov snatch complex (1 snatch-grip deadlift, 1 snatch high pull from hang, 1 power or muscle snatch, 1 snatch push press, 1 overhead squat)
    Strength & power: 70-80% of power/muscle snatch for 1 or 2 reps
    Hypertrophy: 50-70% of power/muscle snatch for 2-3 reps
    Metabolic conditioning: 40-60% of power/muscle snatch for 4-7 reps

5. Klokov snatch complex advanced (1 snatch-grip deadlift, 1 snatch high pull from hang, 1 snatch, 1 bottom snatch press, 1 overhead squat)
    Strength & power: 70-80% of snatch for 1 or 2 reps
    Hypertrophy: 50-70% of snatch for 2-3 reps
    Metabolic conditioning: 40-60% of snatch for 4-7 reps

6. Canadian Bear (1 clean-grip muscle snatch, 1 military press, 1 push press, 1 back squat, 1 BTN push press)
    Strength & power: 70-80% of military press for 1 or 2 reps
    Hypertrophy: 50-70% of military press for 2-3 reps
    Metabolic conditioning: 40-60% of military press for 4-7 reps

IMPORTANT: One rep is doing all the sequence once. So if you have 3 reps you do not do (for example) power clean, power clean, power clean, front squat, front squat, front squat, etc. you do all the sequence once, then start over again a second time then a third time.

3 Likes

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

I’m not incredibly experienced with the oly lifts, but I enjoy them and want to get better while staying on the incredibly productive layer system and figured you would know the best way to accomplish this. Thank you for any feedback![/quote]

LAYER 1

LAYER 2
Main lift

LAYER 3
Barbell complex
2-3 sets

1. The Bear (1 power clean, 1 front squat, 1 thruster/push press, 1 back squat, 1 BTN thruster/push press)

2. Super Bear (1 squat clean, 1 thruster/push press, 1 back squat, 1 snatch push press, 1 overhead squat)

3. Klokov complex (1 deadlift, 1 clean, 1 paused front squat, 1 push press, 1 split jerk)

4. Klokov snatch complex (1 snatch-grip deadlift, 1 snatch high pull from hang, 1 power or muscle snatch, 1 snatch push press, 1 overhead squat)

5. Klokov snatch complex advanced (1 snatch-grip deadlift, 1 snatch high pull from hang, 1 snatch, 1 bottom snatch press, 1 overhead squat)

6. Canadian Bear (1 clean-grip muscle snatch, 1 military press, 1 push press, 1 back squat, 1 BTN push press)

IMPORTANT: One rep is doing all the sequence once. So if you have 3 reps you do not do (for example) power clean, power clean, power clean, front squat, front squat, front squat, etc. you do all the sequence once, then start over again a second time then a third time.
[/quote]

This is absolutely perfect for what I wanted. I am definitely trying this out asap. Thank you so much CT!

Are there any particular complexes you would prefer for certain main lifts? Or any that you’d stay away from on a certain day?

LAYER 1

LAYER 2
Main lift

LAYER 3
Barbell complex
2-3 sets

[/quote]

This is absolutely perfect for what I wanted. I am definitely trying this out asap. Thank you so much CT!

Are there any particular complexes you would prefer for certain main lifts? Or any that you’d stay away from on a certain day?[/quote]

Ideally the complex would go with the lift trained that day. For example if you do a clean or deadlift as your main movement, The Bear or Klokov are good choices. If you are training back squats or pull-ups the snatch complex is a better choice. I you are training a press the Canadian bear complex is the best choice.

2 Likes

LAYER 1

LAYER 2
Main lift

LAYER 3
Barbell complex
2-3 sets

[/quote]

CT,

Would you say this approach is the best to use if our focus is strength capacity? I feel my strength capacity is really lacking and would like to focus on improving it for a while. Thanks.

[quote]Tulkas15 wrote:

LAYER 1

LAYER 2
Main lift

LAYER 3
Barbell complex
2-3 sets

[/quote]

CT,

Would you say this approach is the best to use if our focus is strength capacity? I feel my strength capacity is really lacking and would like to focus on improving it for a while. Thanks. [/quote]

Yes, also an amazing way to train for MMA and football IMHO

1 Like

This is awesome CT, many thanks for these complex variations and recommended way to program it. Pure gold

LAYER 1

LAYER 2
Main lift

LAYER 3
Barbell complex
2-3 sets

[/quote]

Are there any particular complexes you would prefer for certain main lifts? Or any that you’d stay away from on a certain day?[/quote]

Ideally the complex would go with the lift trained that day. For example if you do a clean or deadlift as your main movement, The Bear or Klokov are good choices. If you are training back squats or pull-ups the snatch complex is a better choice. I you are training a press the Canadian bear complex is the best choice.[/quote]

Oh I see, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you for elaborating.

Brilliant stuff CT, really can’t say enough about the system. Have nothing but gains all over the place. In fact, there’s so much gaining that I can’t even afford to carb cycle anymore! I’d never make it through without a surplus!

@CT: This is awesome information! Thank you!

can somone explain “strength capacity”? forgive me for being naive. tnx

[quote]domcib wrote:
[/quote]

It’s the ability to do a lot of work in a short period of time.

I.E. 70 %1RM, 5 sets of 3 in 3 mins. That’s 15 reps in 3 mins with 70%1RM. Most people rest 3 mins between sets let alone completing all 15 reps in 3 mins.

[quote]domcib wrote:
[/quote]

It has been called many things… “strength-endurance”, “muscle endurance”, “long strength” to name a few. I don’t like these terms as “endurance” is misleading.

To me, “strength-capacity” has three components:

1. A high level of force produced (those who train this capacity with light loads for super high reps are beside the point)

2. Over a significant period of time (you want muscles that will not die out when they have to work hard for a long time)

3. With a high density of work (the goal is to get as much work done in a short period of time)

In the complex, what does this part mean?

[quote]setto wrote:
In the complex, what does this part mean?

Metabolic conditioning: 40-60% of push press for 4-7 reps [/quote]

If goal is Strength, use the recommended percentage of your push press max.
If goal is Hypertrophy, use the recommended percentage of max.
Same for Conditioning.
Your goal dictates the weight you use.

As mentioned previously, CT, pure gold here. A huge thank you!

I agree with all.Just when I think I’ve found my favorite layer set up,you throw this out there.Another layer set up right up my alley to run.Once again thanks CT.

[quote]domcib wrote:
[/quote]

It has been called many things… “strength-endurance”, “muscle endurance”, “long strength” to name a few. I don’t like these terms as “endurance” is misleading.

To me, “strength-capacity” has three components:

1. A high level of force produced (those who train this capacity with light loads for super high reps are beside the point)

2. Over a significant period of time (you want muscles that will not die out when they have to work hard for a long time)

3. With a high density of work (the goal is to get as much work done in a short period of time)
    [/quote]

“a high level of force produced, over a significant period of time, with a high density of work”
ok. would you say that what muts said–is basically it?
“It’s the ability to do a lot of work in a short period of time.
I.E. 70 %1RM, 5 sets of 3 in 3 mins. That’s 15 reps in 3 mins with 70%1RM.”

examples of ?
level of force–??
significant period of time-- 9 minutes??
density of work-- 70%??
also, you spoke of resilience in the past. would strength capacity fall under the resilience category?
i ask, because when you did speak of resilient vs. strong, i found that i was more strong than resilient. And, you also spoke of needing to work on our weaknesses! and, so far, with some of Your Methods, i have been working on some of those weaknesses with wonderful results.

CT,
So for the “MetCon” complex - are you doing the sequence of movements 4-7 times before putting the bar down, or doing the sequence once, rest, sequence again, rest… If resting, is there a fixed interval?

Also, If the MetCon focus is chosen for the complexes, is it more important to use the full 65% to 75% loads and get as many reps as you can, or more important to select a weight that allows you to get all 30 reps?

Would you change the reps or % for the 2nd layer if using the full snatch or squat clean as the main movement?

Thanks!!

[quote]orcrist wrote:
CT,
So for the “MetCon” complex - are you doing the sequence of movements 4-7 times before putting the bar down, or doing the sequence once, rest, sequence again, rest… If resting, is there a fixed interval?

Also, If the MetCon focus is chosen for the complexes, is it more important to use the full 65% to 75% loads and get as many reps as you can, or more important to select a weight that allows you to get all 30 reps?

Would you change the reps or % for the 2nd layer if using the full snatch or squat clean as the main movement?

Thanks!![/quote]

(1) YES, ideally with the metcon option you do not put the bar down until you have completed the desired number of “rotations” for the complex. Now, if hand strength is a limiting factor you can lower it and rest for 10 seconds or so, but ideally you do it unbroken.

(2) For the metcon option, getting all the reps in is more important than the load

(3) No I wouldn’t change the sets/reps

Hey CT, I’ve done the layer workout with complexes the past 2 days and am really liking it. The added repetitions of olympic lifts with other exercises has been really effective at helping me learn properly. I was wondering though if it would be advisable to add another layer to the main lift I do.

I’ve been a touch conservative with the 5x3/5x2/5x1 layer because I don’t want to kill myself before the complexes, but for example on Wednesday I did slight inc bench press as you prescribed with the bear complex and felt like I could have done more for bench, though the complex layer felt great. Would it be okay on days where I have more in the tank to do maybe a speed hdl layer or extended sets after the second layer and before the complex layer? My goal is mostly strength but size is a factor too.

Also, since I want to put learning and practicing the olympic lifts, would you reccommend doing a power clean/snatch layer main workout in place of a high pull day?

Thanks CT!