Olympic Lifting in Washington

I’m trying to find some olympic lifting coaches in Eastern Washington close to Pullman and the closest thing google has given me is a guy in Kent, WA, which is pretty far away.

I have a little background in crossfit, training powerlifting style, and a sprinkling of various sports. Out of everything I’ve dabbled in, I prefer the olympic lifts, but I know crossfit isn’t going teach me them well enough to compete, which is what I’d like to eventually do.

So considering my location, what would you recommend I do to get into competitive condition for olympic lifting? If I can’t find a coach, am I pretty much screwed?

If I’m not screwed and/or can possible learn olympic lifting well enough to compete without the help of a coach, how should I go about putting together a program?

Cataylst Athletics website has some decent programs that you can just follow blindly. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Cataylst Athletics website has some decent programs that you can just follow blindly. :P[/quote]

Okay I’m going to look that up. So far, I’ve found this. It looks do-able and enjoyable. What do you all think of it?

Monday or Tuesday

Snatch: 10Ã?2 (10 sets of 2 reps) working up to your â??workâ?? weight (ie. It should feel hard, but NOT be a max) in 4 or 5 sets and sticking with the same weight for the rest of your sets.

Clean and Jerk: 10Ã?1 done the same way as the Snatch

Front Squat: 5Ã?5 working up to one heavy set of 5

Chin ups: 3x 8-12 (use an assist machine if necessary or stretch bands)

Abs: 3 sets

Wednesday or Thursday

Snatch: Same as Monday

Clean and Jerk: Same as Monday

Front Squat: 3Ã?3 @ 75% intensity, this is a â??lightâ?? squat day
Chin ups: 5Ã?5 up to a heavy set of 5

Abs: 3 sets

Saturday

Snatch: singles to a â??maxâ??. I donâ??t really mean a max, I just mean up to what feels pretty darn heavy for the day but still with VERY good form.

Clean and Jerk: Single, Same as snatch

Front Squat: Single, Same

Also, what are considered competitive weights for a 133lb 26 year old female?

BTW, is this what you were referring to on the catalyst athletics website?

http://www.cathletics.com/workouts/index.php

Also, do you do any cardio conditioning in addition to olympic lifting? I am so confused :confused:

[quote]olympiclifter42 wrote:
Also, what are considered competitive weights for a 133lb 26 year old female?[/quote]

You could look at the various federations and check their ranking lists on their websites. I’m guessing your state might have a ranking list and then you can also look for the national ranking list. You could look at some of the results on here:

http://www.lifttilyadie.com/w8lift.htm

At 133lbs you would be in between weight classes but you would compete as a 63kg.

BTW, is this what you were referring to on the catalyst athletics website?

http://www.cathletics.com/workouts/index.php

Also, do you do any cardio conditioning in addition to olympic lifting? I am so confused :/[/quote]
yeah that’s it. looks to the right at the drop-down menu, you can choose different programs laid out for you.

what’s to be confused about? do conditioning if you want. if you don’t want, don’t do conditioning. lol.

About the cardio and conditioning, I’ve cut way back to concentrate on my weightlifting but I know a few really great female lifters who do Crossfit a few times a week or more AND can kick my ass weightlifting. But they also happen to be 15-20 years my junior :wink:

Anyone know any good gyms in Washington D.C. for Olympic Lifting? I’m familiar with most of the crossfits, but don’t really need the instruction (or the price). I move at the end of the month and would really like to keep training. Appreciate anyone’s help.
http://www.tightboards.com/grenade/

As a 63kg I’d say 85/110 would be more then enough to qualify for Nationals and to place top 5 if not top 3 imo.

Cardio isn’t needed.

The main thing is to learn the lifts. Programmes won’t teach you the lifts. Once you get a rough grasp and can perform the lifts well then thats where you start to get on programmes.

I’d learn the lifts,
do a technical
FS/ BS
strength
abs or back

You don’t need anything crazy. Hammer out the lifts, do at least 18 lifts in a session after you warm up at a moderate weighit.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
As a 63kg I’d say 85/110 would be more then enough to qualify for Nationals and to place top 5 if not top 3 imo.

Cardio isn’t needed.

The main thing is to learn the lifts. Programmes won’t teach you the lifts. Once you get a rough grasp and can perform the lifts well then thats where you start to get on programmes.

I’d learn the lifts,
do a technical
FS/ BS
strength
abs or back

You don’t need anything crazy. Hammer out the lifts, do at least 18 lifts in a session after you warm up at a moderate weighit.

Koing[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Do you have any recommendations of good videos for learning form? Or exercises that help with form? I can do a basic clean and push-press, but when I try to do the jerk with a split stance it feels really awkward. Also, the snatch is just weird. It’s definitely hard to tell if I’m doing it right. I suppose I could just take some videos tomorrow and post them up here.

[quote]Koing wrote:

Cardio isn’t needed.

I’d learn the lifts,
do a technical
FS/ BS
strength
abs or back

Koing[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Do you have any recommendations of good videos for learning form? Or exercises that help with form? I can do a basic clean and push-press, but when I try to do the jerk with a split stance it feels really awkward. Also, the snatch is just weird. It’s definitely hard to tell if I’m doing it right. I suppose I could just take some videos tomorrow and post them up here.[/quote]

People suggest this:

Best thing is to not think about programmes but do loads of bar work at the start of your session, hammer 3reps x 3sets from each of the 3 coaching positions

bent arms
straight arms
bent over hang

Do pulls to mid thigh

Then start to lift from the floor. After 3-4months don’t do so much of the bar work, do only a few sets to warm up. Once you get your bar work really good this gives you a ‘fighting’ chance of lifting heavy.

Remember to not rest too much inbetween the bar work, only do a minute if that. Hammer through it. Make sure your fast and you attack the positions. DO NOT FLOAT UNDER THE BAR. Snap the bar over head, slam under it. Speed will help you shift a tonne of weight.

Post videos. Look at DebraA side video. They are good, keep your hips a tad lower (by this I mean in relation to your shoulders) and it would be perfect.

I have a video of one of my lifters from straight arm and bent over hang position that I’ll upload tonight or so.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:

Cardio isn’t needed.

I’d learn the lifts,
do a technical
FS/ BS
strength
abs or back

Koing[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Do you have any recommendations of good videos for learning form? Or exercises that help with form? I can do a basic clean and push-press, but when I try to do the jerk with a split stance it feels really awkward. Also, the snatch is just weird. It’s definitely hard to tell if I’m doing it right. I suppose I could just take some videos tomorrow and post them up here.[/quote]

People suggest this:

Best thing is to not think about programmes but do loads of bar work at the start of your session, hammer 3reps x 3sets from each of the 3 coaching positions

bent arms
straight arms
bent over hang

Do pulls to mid thigh

Then start to lift from the floor. After 3-4months don’t do so much of the bar work, do only a few sets to warm up. Once you get your bar work really good this gives you a ‘fighting’ chance of lifting heavy.

Remember to not rest too much inbetween the bar work, only do a minute if that. Hammer through it. Make sure your fast and you attack the positions. DO NOT FLOAT UNDER THE BAR. Snap the bar over head, slam under it. Speed will help you shift a tonne of weight.

Post videos. Look at DebraA side video. They are good, keep your hips a tad lower (by this I mean in relation to your shoulders) and it would be perfect.

I have a video of one of my lifters from straight arm and bent over hang position that I’ll upload tonight or so.

Koing[/quote]

I’m not really sure what you mean by bent arm and straight arm drills for the snatch (I thought the arms were supposed to be straight the whole time?) and I’m also not sure what the difference between a power snatch and a regular snatch is. I going to be taking some videos tomorrow. Based on what you said here, I’m going to stick to just the 45lb bar and work on form for the snatch. I’ll add a little weight to the clean and jerk and finish with front squats for sets of 5x5.

The Drills are about learnining to pull yourself under the bar,

Stand on your toes
-arms bent so the bar is about waist height,
-chest upright
-shoulders back
-elbows downed so they face upwards towards the sky

Pull under and snap the bar over head in to a full Snatch

Same as above but with straight arms

Bent over hang position, the position in the video where her feet are flat and she is leaning over the bar, shoulders over the bar.

Do front and back squats as a beginner. Go crazy on FS later on.

Koing

3reps x 3sets from each position

Pulls to mid thigh

Then start to lift from the floor. Post videos, increase weight, post videos, repeat.

[quote]Koing wrote:
The Drills are about learnining to pull yourself under the bar,

Stand on your toes
-arms bent so the bar is about waist height,
-chest upright
-shoulders back
-elbows downed so they face upwards towards the sky

Pull under and snap the bar over head in to a full Snatch

Same as above but with straight arms

Bent over hang position, the position in the video where her feet are flat and she is leaning over the bar, shoulders over the bar.

Do front and back squats as a beginner. Go crazy on FS later on.

Koing

3reps x 3sets from each position

Pulls to mid thigh

Then start to lift from the floor. Post videos, increase weight, post videos, repeat.[/quote]

I actually can’t do backsquats with any real weight due to an old injury, but I can do front squats just fine, which is why I was going to stick to them.

I only mention back squats as I like most people to do back and front for the first few years then switch it up. But all of my lifters only FS :slight_smile:

FS to daily max, drop 10 and do 2reps x 2sets, going to change this to 3reps x 3sets, depends on how often you can train
Sn to daily max
FS to daily max
FS to daily max, drop 10 and do 2reps x 2sets,

whatever condition they want to use.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
I only mention back squats as I like most people to do back and front for the first few years then switch it up. But all of my lifters only FS :slight_smile:

FS to daily max, drop 10 and do 2reps x 2sets, going to change this to 3reps x 3sets, depends on how often you can train
Sn to daily max
FS to daily max
FS to daily max, drop 10 and do 2reps x 2sets,

whatever condition they want to use.

Koing[/quote]

Well after my first day under a bar in about a month, I have to say I don’t think I’m ready for an all-out effort and I’m also a little glad I forgot my camera :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also, I’d never tried only going olympic lifts for an hour. In my head, doing one to three reps per minute like recommended on here at a very light weight (I was only using a 30lb fixed barbell) practicing cleans, jerks, snatch-drop-unders (I think that’s what you call them), snatches, and overhead squats would be super easy. It fucking kicked my ass! Why was I so out of breath?! It was 30lbs!

The main form things I noticed was 1. I kept falling forward (about 1/3rd of the time until many, many sets of drop-unders) and 2. I wasn’t cleaning as quickly as I used to. I think it’s because I’m a little scared of hitting myself in the face with the light bar or throwing it clean over my head.

At the end of an hour, I did 10 cleans with 65lbs, one per minute focusing on form. Near the end, I started to feel myself staying tense the whole time I was jerking it off the ground, but I definitely was floating under the bar to catch it.

Cliff Notes: I’m out of shape and need form help.

Oh, and I have a question regarding your lifting recommendation Koing. When I trained for strength, it was accepted that if you max out to the point of failure, it could limit your ability to progress (5-3-1 program). So my question is, how come can you get away with maxing out every day at olympic lifting, but not powerlifting?

the arms need to bend in order for the bar to track close to the body through the second pull rather than being swung out away from the body. one doesn’t lift the weight with ones arms (hip drive propels it up) but the bar needs to stay close.

one can max daily because dropping the bar eliminates the negative portion (the negative portion tears up the muscles). olympic lifts are also done at significantly less than limit strength (unlike powerlifting) because one needs to generate speed / momentum on the bar rather than grinding the lift out.

(squats / standing up cleans are the exception. one builds up the work capacity to do those frequently in time)

welcome to the forum :slight_smile: