T Nation

Olympic Lifting in Rhode Island

I would really like to get into Olympic Lifting once and for all, I am sick of doing these bodybuilding routines. In the past I learned how to clean/power clean but it was for sports. I live in Rhode Island and I don’t know of anywhere I could slam some bars. I am currently working out at a commercial gym where I get a free membership.

My questions:
Where could i lift in Rhode Island?
Should I try to lift at my gym now with regular plates and no bumpers?
Would it be a good idea to get the Snatch and Clean n Jerk down with just the bar for now?

Thanks

Sam

Its not Rhode Island, but if you are willing to make the trek right across the border to New London, Ct I will work with you. I am the Strength Coach at the Coast Guard Academy and a USAW Certified Coach. So long as it is at a convenient time for me (while I am at the gym anyway, and during a fairly slow time) I don’t mind giving you some tips for free.
Beyond that, I would definitely avoid lifting with regular plates. If you have to hang on tight (for fear of dropping and breaking them) I think that will cause you to probably use your arms a bit more than you should and not learn the explosiveness you are really looking for. For a location to train at in the long run, I hate to mention them but crossfits CAN be ok. Just be real clear about what you are there for (not to do “metcons” and start wearing vibrams and board shorts).
And as far as just using the bar, or a pvc pipe or something… yea, you probably should. Admittedly I didn’t, and was trying to max probably WAY earlier than I should have, but learn from my mistakes. Beyond that, there are great resources here at T-Nation, then Catalyst Athletics Website would probably be your next stop for Weightlifting. They have some great books on the topic.

[quote]samz95 wrote:
I would really like to get into Olympic Lifting once and for all, I am sick of doing these bodybuilding routines. In the past I learned how to clean/power clean but it was for sports. I live in Rhode Island and I don’t know of anywhere I could slam some bars. I am currently working out at a commercial gym where I get a free membership.

My questions:
Where could i lift in Rhode Island?
Should I try to lift at my gym now with regular plates and no bumpers?
Would it be a good idea to get the Snatch and Clean n Jerk down with just the bar for now?

Thanks

Sam[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the info. If i have a free weekend, i may take a trip down to Ct. For the time being i think it might be a good idea to check the local crossfit gym. The only problem i already know going in is that they are very pricey, hopefully they will allow me just to slam bars and not try to do as many clean n jerks in a minute as possible.

Sounds good!

Depends on where you are in RI, but if you don’t mind driving up Route 1 there is a good place in Norwood, MA.

Boston Weightlifting
1080 Pleasant St.
Norwood