T Nation

Olympic Lifting in China

Hi all–
I’m currently taking a journalism course in school specifically concerning “oppressive regimes” of various types,and I’ve decided that for my final assignment I’d like to integrate my interest in weightlifting with the course material. I’d like to write a piece on Olympic lifting in China, especially with the 2008 summer games being held in Beijing. Does anyone here have information or contacts that I might be able to use?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think Travis Mash of EliteFTS.com, or one of their forum members went over there to train. Also, Dan John might be able to help you out.

Go over to goheavy and post, asking for Dan Hwang. He spent time over their training at a national facility I believe. Maybe he can be of help.

Collin

I would suggest fortifiediron also. Dan H is a great person to start with tho.

just know that they are juiced hardcore and that they are hand-picked at around age 4-5 (based on the length of their body parts and structure) to start lifting for the national team.

[quote]tigerak02 wrote:
just know that they are juiced hardcore and that they are hand-picked at around age 4-5 (based on the length of their body parts and structure) to start lifting for the national team.

[/quote]

Yeah and that’s why they don’t have to do any work.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
tigerak02 wrote:

Yeah and that’s why they don’t have to do any work.[/quote]

He never said they don’t have to do any work… Where in there does he mention that?.. Why does this come up every time someone mentions steroids. The reason they juice is so they can do MORE work. Get it through your head.

[quote]bomber221 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
tigerak02 wrote:

Yeah and that’s why they don’t have to do any work.

He never said they don’t have to do any work… Where in there does he mention that?.. Why does this come up every time someone mentions steroids. The reason they juice is so they can do MORE work. Get it through your head.[/quote]

Wow agressive. You must be on juice or something.

And please, give me some credit. I train along side guys who take pretty much EVERYTHING that they can get their hands on (we’re talking test right up to GH), I know how fucking hard they have to work to become the world class powerlifters that they are, don’t assume things.

Why is it that people have such a negative attitude on this site?

Someone asks about chinese olifters and they’re told they’re so great because they’re genetic freaks (which is in part true but doesn’t invalidate their training)

Skinny kids get flamed (rightly so)

Guys with great development get called out because of steroid use, amongst other things. That’s if they make it past the stage of being “a troll”

Everyone’s got lifts that would place them in a meet but no one’s got video evidence or results to prove it but are only to happy to jump down others throats for lifting in “bullshit feds”.

What ever happened to the community?? Esprit de corps?? One for all and all for one…??

[quote]Sneaky weasel wrote:
Hi all–
I’m currently taking a journalism course in school specifically concerning “oppressive regimes” of various types,and I’ve decided that for my final assignment I’d like to integrate my interest in weightlifting with the course material. I’d like to write a piece on Olympic lifting in China, especially with the 2008 summer games being held in Beijing. Does anyone here have information or contacts that I might be able to use?

Any help is greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Hi,

Do you have any plans to post the article on the Internet when its done - I think that it would be an interesting read.

You might have seen this link, but just in case you haven’t.

Flickr Photos from dehwang
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dehwang

Amazing pics…thanks for the link.