Olympic Lifting Gym Etiquette

[quote]Dr. Manhattan wrote:
10. Don’t do anything but an Olympic back squat! Powerlifting squats don’t count, nor do any other variation!
[/quote]

Sorry, but how does this count as a breach of Gym etiquette? Don’t see how the style of squat would affect anybody elses workout.

[quote]justkevin wrote:

10. Don’t do anything but an Olympic back squat! Powerlifting squats don’t count, nor do any other variation!
[/quote]

Sorry, but how does this count as a breach of Gym etiquette? Don’t see how the style of squat would affect anybody elses workout. [/quote]

Well, it wouldn’t affect anybody else’s workout, except for when they came over to ask you why you were in an olympic lifting gym trying to improve your olympic lifts by doing a style of squat other than high bar olympic. So maybe it’s not so much an etiquette thing as a “you don’t have your shit in a pile” thing.

[quote]justkevin wrote:
Sorry, but how does this count as a breach of Gym etiquette? Don’t see how the style of squat would affect anybody elses workout. [/quote]

I think he meant within the confines of an Olympic Lifting Gym, any other type of squat should be barred (based on the title)

[quote]dfreezy wrote:

[quote]justkevin wrote:

I think he meant within the confines of an Olympic Lifting Gym, any other type of squat should be barred (based on the title)[/quote]

that wouldnt be very fair if it was the only gym around where you can squat!

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

[quote]dfreezy wrote:

[quote]justkevin wrote:

I think he meant within the confines of an Olympic Lifting Gym, any other type of squat should be barred (based on the title)[/quote]

that wouldnt be very fair if it was the only gym around where you can squat![/quote]

Hmm, I think the poster may also be thinking about comparing squats. As in you can’t say you squated the weight unless it was a full depth olympic squat. This annoys me anyway when people say they squat xx amount but its actually a crappy quarter squat or something.

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

[quote]dfreezy wrote:

[quote]justkevin wrote:

that wouldnt be very fair if it was the only gym around where you can squat![/quote]

Hmm, I think the poster may also be thinking about comparing squats. As in you can’t say you squated the weight unless it was a full depth olympic squat. This annoys me anyway when people say they squat xx amount but its actually a crappy quarter squat or something.[/quote]

Are you taking the piss otu of Regieski?! lol

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

[quote]dfreezy wrote:

[quote]justkevin wrote:

Hmm, I think the poster may also be thinking about comparing squats. As in you can’t say you squated the weight unless it was a full depth olympic squat. This annoys me anyway when people say they squat xx amount but its actually a crappy quarter squat or something.[/quote]

Are you taking the piss otu of Regieski?! lol

Koing[/quote]

Haha, more the people who go to my non club gym. I always see guys doing quarter squats with a weight they would never be able to squat to full depth but I know if they were asked how much they squat they would say the heavier amount. They would probably add 10kg on top of it if asked as well! :stuck_out_tongue:

no foooocking way i sink in deep every time

[quote]deep squat wrote:
no foooocking way i sink in deep every time[/quote]

Now you do, but before you did not :stuck_out_tongue:

Triples for Snatch for you guys on Saturday! lol

Volume on squats LOL

Pull ups
Split Jerks
Bent over rows
Abs
Curls for the girls for regieski, his guns aren’t matching up
Koing

as long as i have an arsehole between my cheeks i am not doing curls

[quote]deep squat wrote:
as long as i have an arsehole between my cheeks i am not doing curls[/quote]

Good man! :slight_smile:

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

[quote]dfreezy wrote:

[quote]justkevin wrote:

Well it’s obvious that you can’t compare squatting to half or quarter squatting numbers…that’s kind of a given.
It just seems silly and limiting to me to purposefully avoid useful exercises- squatting low bar as an example- just because “it’s not what we do”
Maybe “you” have a weak posterior chain and would benefit from squatting in a lower bar stance. You should be open to whatever will help you as a lifter, not just what suits your particular dogma.

[quote]justkevin wrote:

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

[quote]dfreezy wrote:

[quote]justkevin wrote:

Well it’s obvious that you can’t compare squatting to half or quarter squatting numbers…that’s kind of a given.
It just seems silly and limiting to me to purposefully avoid useful exercises- squatting low bar as an example- just because “it’s not what we do”
Maybe “you” have a weak posterior chain and would benefit from squatting in a lower bar stance. You should be open to whatever will help you as a lifter, not just what suits your particular dogma.[/quote]

This thread is about etiquette in an Olympic lifting gym. A lot of guys come into such a gym and start doing not olympic-style squats because they think they know better (when they don’t.) Yes, there are reasons to do other squats at times, but this is a general etiquette post. Just like you don’t hold a door for a woman at all times, you don’t have to olympic style squat at all times either. Its just a rule of thumb that keeps people from being annoyed at you. (Read: etiquette)

Seems like you have a bit of an agenda with this though, so let me indulge you. If you have a weak posterior chain, why change the very well rounded full back squat? Why not just focus more on the lifts that are already designed for the posterior chain(i.e. deadlifts and their variations.) If its because you are a powerlifter… great. Fine. You are not going to compete with a full squat, so why bother with it. But if you are an olympic lifter, changing the squat is going to screw up your recruitment for getting underneath stuff and standing back up. I’ve seen people try it and time and time again, it makes them worse at Olympic lifting. Also, I’ve never seen someone who couldn’t strengthen their posterior chain through RDLs, pulls, etc.

We don’t skip the low bar squat ‘just because.’ It is specifically NOT sports-specific to us, and that’s why we don’t use it. It has VERY little carry over. In general, we are open to what will make us better lifters. However, the study of what makes better lifters is already VERY extensive due to the time the sport has been around coupled with the money from other countries that has gone into researching it. The sport’s training methodologies are far more researched, well thought out and time-tested than any other strength sport’s. So… when we say ‘we don’t do those’, its usually for a good reason.

[quote]justkevin wrote:

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

[quote]dfreezy wrote:

[quote]justkevin wrote:

Maybe “you” have a weak posterior chain and would benefit from squatting in a lower bar stance. You should be open to whatever will help you as a lifter, not just what suits your particular dogma.[/quote]

This thread is about etiquette in an Olympic lifting gym. A lot of guys come into such a gym and start doing not olympic-style squats because they think they know better (when they don’t.) Yes, there are reasons to do other squats at times, but this is a general etiquette post. Just like you don’t hold a door for a woman at all times, you don’t have to olympic style squat at all times either. Its just a rule of thumb that keeps people from being annoyed at you. (Read: etiquette)

Seems like you have a bit of an agenda with this though, so let me indulge you. If you have a weak posterior chain, why change the very well rounded full back squat? Why not just focus more on the lifts that are already designed for the posterior chain(i.e. deadlifts and their variations.) If its because you are a powerlifter… great. Fine. You are not going to compete with a full squat, so why bother with it. But if you are an olympic lifter, changing the squat is going to screw up your recruitment for getting underneath stuff and standing back up. I’ve seen people try it and time and time again, it makes them worse at Olympic lifting. Also, I’ve never seen someone who couldn’t strengthen their posterior chain through RDLs, pulls, etc.

We don’t skip the low bar squat ‘just because.’ It is specifically NOT sports-specific to us, and that’s why we don’t use it. It has VERY little carry over. In general, we are open to what will make us better lifters. However, the study of what makes better lifters is already VERY extensive due to the time the sport has been around coupled with the money from other countries that has gone into researching it. The sport’s training methodologies are far more researched, well thought out and time-tested than any other strength sport’s. So… when we say ‘we don’t do those’, its usually for a good reason.

[/quote]

The agenda was mainly to get a concise and well thought out answer to that particular question- which I had yet to receive. That was so- thanks