Olympic Lifting Basics/Help

Hello, I want to start doing an olympic rouitne once a week to supplement my other conditioning and technique training(mma). The problem is my coaches do not know the olympic lifts we focus more on conditioning stuff ie, press ups, pull ups, dips, sprints etc.

What I am after is some pointers on how to do the lifts and the kind of rep range to use. A beginers routine would be great.

Any help is much appreciated.

I am 135lbs and 5ft 8" if that helps at all.

Glenn Pendlay of Cal Strength Academy (he has article and posts here too) has an excellent set of videos that teach both the snatch and clean - this is not a perfect substitute for in person coaching but a great start. It would be even better if once you watch/learn to post some videos of you practicing.

That being said, the lifts are going to be tough to learn or benefit from if you only use practice them once a week.

Coach Pendlay vidoes

Q&A with Pendlay
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_thibaudeau/glenn_pendlay_qa

now I would say:
IF you are training OlyW once a week, ain’t gonna cut it. I suggest you lift twice a week.

Remember OlyW is a strength sport, yes techinique is important and it takes time to learn, but it take longer to build up strength. For real bigginers my coach has them do the OLifts light to learn technique and THEN squat/RDL heavy to build strength. Overtime and with consistent training, the new lifter will do the OLifts with heavy weights and squat with heavy weights.

In your case since you are new, you cannot start doing the OLifts heavy because your lack of technique will get in the way. And one a week is too infrequent. I suggest two days because on day 1 you can do light snatches (like in the videos) and then front squat heavy. On day 2 you can do light cleans and back squat heavy. Once your technique lets you lift heavy weights, you will be able to snatch/clean heavy and then front/back squat heavy.

my2cents

p.s. I know its hard for you in MMA but you gotta eat bro. Squats and weight loss DO NOT MIX.

[quote]Neospartan wrote:
Coach Pendlay vidoes

Q&A with Pendlay
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_thibaudeau/glenn_pendlay_qa

now I would say:
IF you are training OlyW once a week, ain’t gonna cut it. I suggest you lift twice a week.

Remember OlyW is a strength sport, yes techinique is important and it takes time to learn, but it take longer to build up strength. For real bigginers my coach has them do the OLifts light to learn technique and THEN squat/RDL heavy to build strength. Overtime and with consistent training, the new lifter will do the OLifts with heavy weights and squat with heavy weights.

In your case since you are new, you cannot start doing the OLifts heavy because your lack of technique will get in the way. And one a week is too infrequent. I suggest two days because on day 1 you can do light snatches (like in the videos) and then front squat heavy. On day 2 you can do light cleans and back squat heavy. Once your technique lets you lift heavy weights, you will be able to snatch/clean heavy and then front/back squat heavy.

my2cents

p.s. I know its hard for you in MMA but you gotta eat bro. Squats and weight loss DO NOT MIX. [/quote]

Thanks for the help. I could fit it in twice a week, I do also do a S&C session a week but that is more aimed at muscle endurance.
Currently I make weight comfortably at 135 so I dont have to strve mysef thankfully.

What would you recomend as rep range and what to do each day?

Thanks

Snatch/Clean:
-warm up, and once you get to the light weight do: 2reps X 4sets, or 3X3, 3X2

FrontSquat/BackSquat:
-warm up,
-get to a heavy weight and do 5reps X 3.
–the following week when you squat you try to add 5lbs or 10lbs to your 5x3

don’t worry about adding weight to your Snatch/Clean. Do that slowly. But for your squats, you gotta keep increasing. If you squat ain’t going up, you ain’t getting stronger.

Also… do not be surprised if you go above 135lbs when eating Extra meat, drinking More milk & squatting Heavier.

[quote]Neospartan wrote:
Snatch/Clean:
-warm up, and once you get to the light weight do: 2reps X 4sets, or 3X3, 3X2

FrontSquat/BackSquat:
-warm up,
-get to a heavy weight and do 5reps X 3.
–the following week when you squat you try to add 5lbs or 10lbs to your 5x3

don’t worry about adding weight to your Snatch/Clean. Do that slowly. But for your squats, you gotta keep increasing. If you squat ain’t going up, you ain’t getting stronger.

Also… do not be surprised if you go above 135lbs when eating Extra meat, drinking More milk & squatting Heavier. [/quote]

Thanks for the advice ill keep you updated how I do and try to take some videos of technique so I can be put right. I want to add a little weight anyway, currently I compete at semi professional level which is weigh in on the day but next year Id like to fight Pro, so id need the extra size as weigh in is day before.

good luck