Olympic Lifting after Knee Injury

Im starting to get back into olympic lifting however I pretty much blew the S*@t out of my knee about 2 years ago. my hip drive is strong and Im able to get the bar up getting into a deep squat under it is tought though any advice from people who might have been through something similar would be great.

What did you do to your knee?

I’ve torn the medial meniscus in my right knee, required surgery, but was back to full speed in a couple months. I also tore the medial collateral ligament in my left knee. No surgery, but is was six months before I got back up to full strength.

I think its more what i didnt do to my knee lol. I fully tore my acl mcl and meniscus and partially tore my pcl also had a whole bunch of other things screwed up that I cant remember. This was all one event in my right knee. Do you have any issues in the bottom catch of your lifts?

I have no problems with my knees now except for sore patellar tendons for a couple days after high intensity weeks. My bottom position is painless but not as low as it used to be. Of course my injuries were not as severe as yours. Is the pain only at the bottom of the squat?

I had a similar injury, had surgery to repair my ACL and MCL in July 2006. The bottom position can be really hard, mostly due to immobility in my (then)-injured knee. It’s significantly improved in the past few months, though.

yea I think mine was about the same time I dont have problems doing my O lifts mainly cause I dont go heavy enough to really have to get under the bar. But when I do full squats my knee hurts right before I go into the bottom of my lift. Peot was there anything in particular you did that made your knee better in the last couple months?

[quote]Carl Darby wrote:
What did you do to your knee?

I’ve torn the medial meniscus in my right knee, required surgery, but was back to full speed in a couple months. I also tore the medial collateral ligament in my left knee. No surgery, but is was six months before I got back up to full strength.[/quote]

Grade one tear to my mcl and minisculous to my left knee. Savage limp for 3 weeks and on the mend. It’s only about now, 6months after my injury that I feel a bit ‘more comfortable’ with turning on the knee, like running and turning in Rugby. Injured not Olifting, but on a tv show of all things!

Just becareful and to get back in slowly. Squats and Olifts were fine, just couldn’t turn on the knee or load it laterally.

Koing