Olympic Lifters & The Bench Press

[quote]ape288 wrote:

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:

The only guys who can throw 250+ over their heads are superheavies. Look at the size of these men and tell me that the reason they may be able to bench press so much without training it directly is strictly because their nervous systems are peaked.
[/quote]

klokov (105kg) has reported 260+kg jerk from the racks…

[quote]Rawen wrote:

[quote]ape288 wrote:

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:

The only guys who can throw 250+ over their heads are superheavies. Look at the size of these men and tell me that the reason they may be able to bench press so much without training it directly is strictly because their nervous systems are peaked.
[/quote]

klokov (105kg) has reported 260+kg jerk from the racks…
[/quote]

lol

No wizardry. I suspect most big (94 and above) oly lifters would put up ok bench numbers without training it because of their tricep and shoulder strength. However the ones that you see bench ‘for shits and put up big numbers’ either bench more often than you think, are on AAS or both. Most people would argue that Broz, the chinese and the russian oly lifters all come under one of the above categories. Overhead press no doubt has a carry over but I doubt the bench numbers of lifters who don’t train it are impressive by powerlifting standards.

I train bench twice a week and think that the OHP I do combined with frequent back and power work goes towards getting a pretty strong bench, ~160kg at 92kg, although in powerlifting circles this isn’t considered impressive.