Olympic Lift Question

i’ve recently started doing clean and jerks as well as snatches. one thing that i’ve noticed watching as many videos as possible on these lifts, i’ve noticed some lifters do a full front/overhead squat. is this required to successfully do the lift? or is only for managing heavier weights (i dont have enough experience to try and handle real heavy weights with confidence and cant afford a lifting coach)

[quote]depeter wrote:
i’ve recently started doing clean and jerks as well as snatches. one thing that i’ve noticed watching as many videos as possible on these lifts, i’ve noticed some lifters do a full front/overhead squat. is this required to successfully do the lift? or is only for managing heavier weights (i dont have enough experience to try and handle real heavy weights with confidence and cant afford a lifting coach)[/quote]

im no professional but from what i understand on cleans your just supposed to front squat and snatches your supposed to overhead squat.

On cleans catch it racked at the shoulders, depth of the squat can very. On snatches depth of squat again can very (on goals or just whatever’s comfortable, if you don’t plan on competing) but you catch it at a full lockout over head. Don’t get it half way overhead and press the final 6 inches. Good luck

Warning: The douche named AssClown is not a professional and should not be confused as a professional. Please realize before you take any advice. Consult your physician before performing lifts as prescribed

thanks man, thats kinda what i thought

[quote]depeter wrote:
i’ve recently started doing clean and jerks as well as snatches. one thing that i’ve noticed watching as many videos as possible on these lifts, i’ve noticed some lifters do a full front/overhead squat. is this required to successfully do the lift? or is only for managing heavier weights (i dont have enough experience to try and handle real heavy weights with confidence and cant afford a lifting coach)[/quote]

anything other than a full front/ overhead squat is called power clean/snatch, can’t afford a coach, go to Ironmind and buy Olympic style weightlifting for the beginner & intermediate lifter by Jim Schmitz( book & tape )i found it very good when learning the lifts and please don’t try to go heavy if you just learning the lifts