T Nation

Olympic Deadlift Variation and Layers

Hello all,

I read the recent article on the oly deadlift, and it seems interesting to try out. Lets say I want to utilize this movement before my deadlift layers–does this happen as my warmup before the ramp, or what?

What if I did 3 sets or so and then start ramping from where I left off? If I get to 225 or so with the oly variation, once the ramp begins I’d start there. I imagine my ramp–instead of encompassing 9 complete sets–would become more like 5, not including the sets of the oly warmup.

I’ve been thinking of how I could go about doing this, without diminishing the impact of the layer system.

What do you all think?

Why would you do that instead of just doing an entire layer session with these?

Really just curious. I think you’d get more out of it by committing to it and doing the whole session with those.

Only because Amit stated in the article that these were best as warmups, unless I misunderstood. He brings up how after these warm-ups, you could get right into the heavy sets for the conventional deadlift.

Plus, I’ve been working on my dead lift strength, and don’t think I can accurately measure growth in that area if I do Oly Dead layers instead. That said, the benefits to the Oly Dead have sparked my interest (calf and trap development).

EDIT: added second paragraph.

If you haven’t done SGHP layers, then you should definitely try those. I experienced plenty of calf and trap development, and I’m not the only one.

Of course, you can always just ask Amit yourself over in the Micro-PA forum.

On that note of SGHP, I use the movement as an activation for my back workouts. Once I get a rhythm with the movement I’d like to do layers for it, but I’m not confident in my technique just yet. I forgot about that for a moment; thanks for bringing that up.

I’ll ask Amit as well. Thank you.

While SGHP is the subject–would a layered approach be in place of my usual back workout? I currently do a back routine with SGHP as an activation lift, followed by 3 rowing variations (barbell, kayak, wide grip cable). In the same week I also perform a deadlift layer. So, would my SGHP layer workout replace one of these?

EDIT: added new question.

[quote]MikeMezz wrote:
On that note of SGHP, I use the movement as an activation for my back workouts. Once I get a rhythm with the movement I’d like to do layers for it, but I’m not confident in my technique just yet. I forgot about that for a moment; thanks for bringing that up.

I’ll ask Amit as well. Thank you.

While SGHP is the subject–would a layered approach be in place of my usual back workout? I currently do a back routine with SGHP as an activation lift, followed by 3 rowing variations (barbell, kayak, wide grip cable). In the same week I also perform a deadlift layer. So, would my SGHP layer workout replace one of these?

EDIT: added new question.[/quote]

A good traps-building approach would be to use high pulls as activation followed by layers for Amit’s olympic deadlift. HE uses them as a warm-up but it can totally be a good strength exercise (clean pulls are used heavy for 3-5 reps by olympic lifters).

Ah, the man himself! Thank you for the response. I’ll work this into my split to see what I can make it do for me.