Olympic Combat Sports

That dosent apply in sword fighting, because a slight hit is all it takes, if you get skewered with a blade you cant then ignore that light skewering and deal some proper strike. Im not a fencer that just makes sense to me.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Nope, that EXACTLY what I dispute:
A fencer with a sword is not going to murder me easily at all.

Someone who is conditoned for years to not being able to cope with lateral movement will have big problems with me.

He may have very good reflexes and speed, but he unlearnt the art of pressing the attack, which is a paramount skill for a true fighter.
Fencers live to only obtain victory by scoring the slightest of touches. A true fighter takes every opportunity to trade a light hit with a serious one for himself.
[/quote]

Well, at least I wasn’t misunderstanding you right?

Remember, part of fencing is ingrained in the ritual of dueling. The single direction of motion wasn’t invented as part of the sport of fencing, but a point of honor in historical duels.

Also, while the skill set may have changed slightly, pressing the attack is different from boxing than from fencing with blades. You can’t open yourself to a jab while attempting a left hook in fencing like you can in boxing.

You can eat a few shots in boxing and be none the worse for wear–even recover to finish a fight. In dueling with real sharps, even a light strike can slice muscle or pierce organs to the point of disabling you so you are practically finished in a high paced combat situation.

Just my thoughts. I think a fencer would probably still pwn you.

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
I just found out that “race-walking” is an Olympic sport. How the hell is there room for race-walking when we already have at least 6 running events, yet there is no room for pankration/jiu jitsu/etc…

and who at NBC thinks that rowing and beach volleyball are more entertaining than judo and wrestling? I forgot how much I hate the Olympics and what is shown in the States.[/quote]

Race walking is pretty hardcore. It takes them like 4 hours to cover 50km. That means they walk at about 12km an hour, which is a pretty fast walk. It might not be super awesome but the shit they do is still hard. Regardless of how gay it sounds, it is on the olympic level.

I remember several years back a race walker was so excited that he won the big racewalking competition that he jumped with joy right as he was crossing the finish line. Unfortunately, if both feet leave the ground at any time during the race, you are disqualified. He killed himself a few days later.

That dude Cejudo just made the finals, he’s looked awesome in this Olympics

Well I guess I’m watching this delayed cause I just saw the finals match where he won gold…dude was all around great

I saw Cejudo’s matches on tv here in Japan. Wrestling for the most part was good. Women too.

Boxing sucks. The electronic scoring system has created a generation of guys who are trying to win within that system. They can’t show that stuff on tv.

The Chinese “boxers” are horrible. Turning their backs to avoid getting hit and not being penalized for it. They aren’t the only ones of course, since they are just trying to win within that electronic scoring system. Winning an Olympic boxing medals really means nothing now since there is little carry over to the pros.

Actually the only complaint I have with the CHinese athletes is their boxers and the women’s HW judo winner Tong Pei(?). Her belt kept on falling off between exchanges and she would purposely tie it loose so it would fall off after every exchange so she could control the pace and take a break. I don’t think it is against the rules. Still not honorable. I give her credit for pulling off a last second shoulder throw to win her finals match against Japan. Still that annoyed me.

i think that bjj would never be an olympic sport, just like american football. the brazilians would win all the time.

the boxing is rediculous to watch, i agree. their scoring system is so fucked up its not even funny. no points for knockdowns, people not getting penalized enough for excessive holding. i think it should be scored with a 9-10 score for each of the rounds. that way some douche like the italian hw or thai lw couldnt score a few and run around/hug the other guy for the next 4 wounds and win.